“sitting on laurels”

Neighborhood: Notre Dame / Marais
London, United Kingdom
“sitting on laurels”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Quite simply the most overpriced, over rated restaurant Ive ever eaten in.
The Staff are unhelpful and rude, & the cooking is simply not up to the mark.
We asked specifically for the chicken and were served a Pheasant- my French is pretty good-
Our oysters were full of broken shell, at 48 euro for 6 one would expect something special.
We skipped dessert at 25 euro for a slice of chocolate cake and left 250 euro lighter- 1 bottle of water, no wine.
Paris has so much more to offer, I had wanted to eat in this place for years and am totally disappointed.
It was clearly once a foodie Mecca but alas the magic has died.

• Visited December 2012
6 Thank Matthew J

• Turkish first
Washington, DC
“Very mixed feelings”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Ok, this is a tough one. First, I love places like this; places that have great history, have resisted more commercial urges and just kept a good thing going. As others have said, L'Ami Louis is located on an obscure side street in 3rd, in a tiny narrow building, that still looks and feels like a bygone period. Brusque waiters, true. Coats folded and tossed up to the racks above? True. Loud, noisy dining room, true. Ordinarily I'd have no problem with this, going to places like this is part entertainment, part hospitality. So, on the one hand, if you're in Paris, and haven't been, you must. If you've been, my guess is you'll conclude you've done it, with so many great restaurants in Paris, you don't need to go back. Why? The service is, I hate to say it, just not very good. Upon arriving, we ordered the foie gras. It came out quickly, accompanies by a plate of toasted baguettes. It was very good and quickly followed by a family style bowl of mixed greens, nothing terribly distinctive, just a "house salad." We then waited 75 minutes for anyone to not only approach our table but to soon after arrive with the roasted chicken ("Poulet Roti") that they are known for and we were looking forward to. If it was otherworldly, I suppose, the wait would have been worth it but ... I hate to say this ... it really wasn't. Ordinary is the word that comes to mind. However, at 89 euros for 2, it's arguably 60-70 euros more than the same dish found throughout the city. Finishing with berries a la mode might have been the highlight ... that said, there were two of us. If going with a group of 6 or 8, I suspect the experience would have been different ... the waiters seemed to gravitate to the bigger parties and an assortment of food placed throughout the table. Special occasions probably work too ...but, as for us, we couldn't help come away thinking we did it, it ws interesting, but no need for us to go back. So many other restaurants to go to!

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank donc880
Madrid, Spain
“the place you don't want to be seen”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

it is simply an abuse. food is average, extremely expensive and ok service. foie wasnt great an was 60€, and confit de carnard was just overdone... people sitting there and thanking louis for the delicious chicken... PLEASE!!!!! its paris, how can you eat chicken!!!! and roasted!!!!! such a complicated dish!!!! and 89€... i was so ashamed to be there. i felt like an idiot. never again.

• Visited October 2012
13 Thank laura m
“The worst restaurant in the world”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

You can find places everywhere that serve food that isn't as good as Ami Louis, of course. But if you judge your meal considering what you paid, then you have just had the worst meal Paris has to offer. The place has a history. The Clintons ate there while Bill was President. Those who rave about this place have bought into the myth. The famous Ami Louis chicken? I can make a chicken dinner just as good at home.

10 Thank Slcccb
Sao Paulo, SP
“Extremely rude people”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I went to L'Ami Louis after I read an article at a gourmet food magazine.

I ordered escargots to start, and a Steak with French fries as my entree. The mortal sin was to ask a Coke to drink. The waiter started yelling saying there was only wine and water. You american don't want to eat foie-gras, we don't want to dink Coke.

Escargots were really good, but the steak was horrible. Extremely tough, and noot juice. I tried another time to try the foie-gras at this place, and although there was an empty table, the waiter said the place was full. This in the middle of the economic crisis that freenchmen live nowadays. Also, the prices are horrbly expensive. Never will go back to this horrible-service restaurant.

• Visited November 2011