“Disappointing”
Review of Chez Jenny

Chez Jenny
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Chez Jenny is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,304 of 18,127 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Marais
Description: This 1930s-style brasserie, symbol of the Place de la Republique, has honoured Alsace and its gastronomic specialities for the past 80 years, serving sauerkraut prepared according to a host of recipes, as well as other delicious regional specialities, including flammenkuche tarts, apple strudel, Vosges meringue and kougof cake. Charles Spindler designed its famous marquetry, which contributes to its being one of the most beautiful brasseries in Paris--This 1930s-style brasserie, symbol of the Place de la Republique, has honoured Alsace and its gastronomic specialities for the past 80 years, serving sauerkraut prepared according to a host of recipes, as well as other delicious regional specialities, including flammenkuche tarts, apple strudel, Vosges meringue and kougof cake. Charles Spindler designed its famous marquetry, which contributes to its being one of the most beautiful brasseries in Paris
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I went there last Friday and happened to me what never happened to me there, a very slow service and a food quality that was not the same as usual. I do not know if they had a strike in the kitchen or many people on staff out sick but unbelievably slow service. At the end my waiter disappeared and one of the old timer took over the service and was able to speed up the process. The food is usually good but this time was average and the parmentier was even bad. Really disappointing. I go to this brasserie every time I am in Paris because of "service continu" and it is 2 blocks from where I stay in Paris. I want to believe it is an exception, for info to the manager it was on Friday december 6 th, 2013 around 14:00. I came in at 14:00 and left almost at 16:00, 6 people. A table behind us left without coffee tired of waiting.

Clients S, Responsable relations clients at Chez Jenny, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Chez Jenny.
I understand your dispointment and I am surprised by your comments which do not reflect the quality of service we usually provide to each and every guests.

As we value your comments, we would be most grateful if you could give us a little bit of your time and send us your email or phone number so that we can contat you to understand what happened.

We wish a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Best Regards,

Céline M.
celine[a]blanc.net

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I came here because my Alsatian friend said that this place had the best sauerkraut he's had in Paris. I thought the service was great and everything, but having choucroute for the first time left me very underwhelmed. If you're a fan of boiled meats then by all means come here. But I'm not much a fan and the plate was rather bland to me. My dining companion had a cheese and ham tarte. Too cheesy for my taste. I was hoping we'd be impressed with the apple strudel for dessert. It had a bitter aftertaste and I'm not sure if that's what it's supposed to taste like. I still regret passing up Moroccan food to come here.

Clients S, Responsable relations clients at Chez Jenny, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about Chez Jenny.
We are sorry to see that our Alsatian food doesn't according your taste. Maybe our seafood choucroute will be better for you : it is composed of fish instead of meat.

Céline Mazars

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a table for 2, the waiter a old guy must have been around 64-75 was rude, all he could do was smile and be friendly, he read the specialitys on the menu, Lobster, when we ordered something different he turned his nose up. Space wise we were packed in like sardines, we had the skewers at 28.50 euros not much meat and the pork was very fatty, £157.00 euros for a 3 course meal for 2 very overpriced, I would not rush back there.

Dear Andréa,

Thank you for your comment.
We are truly sorry to hear that you din't have a good experience. Our priority here at Chez jenny is to please our guests with perfect food and service. As we value your comments, we would be most grateful if you could give us a little bit of your time and send us your email or phone number so that we can contact you to understand what happened.

We do hope to have the chance of welcoming you again soon, in order to make you forget about this recent visit,

Sincerely Yours,

Celine M.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

An uninterested waitperson who immediately tried to up-sell us from tap water to bottled water was the unhappy start of the evening. My choucroute was superb -- a rich assortment, served really hot, piquant but sweet sauerkraut. On the other hand my daughter's brochette des viands -- a skewer of different meats -- was essentially inedible: tough beef, fatty pork, good sausage. Unfortunately, it took ten minutes to flag down the waitperson for a knife. This traditional knife could not hack the beef. It took another ten minutes to get a steak knife. When the check arrived I questioned the service of bottled water when other diners were given carafes of tap water. The wait-person shrugged. That was the explanation. She shrugged. Tables were crowded. The floors were dirty. All in all, after many years of visiting Chez Jenny, I have to say it's morphed from grand old restaurant to tourist trap. Consider my daughter and me trapped.

Clients S, Responsable relations clients at Chez Jenny, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for feedback about Chez Jenny.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our choucroutes !
However, we are sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied by the service, and our meat skewer. Your supportive interest is highly appreciated and helps us to continue improving our services. We have briefed the Chef and our Maître d'Hotel already.

Céline Mazars

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This is truly the worst experience I have ever had.
We asked for a table for 2 , we got squeezed into a small table between others like we had a tourist voucher When we refused. The booth that we had asked for as we came in and was supposedly reserved suddenly became available. When we sat down the waiter ( older and very rude) threw our crockery down like he didn't want us to be there and then insulted me by telling me I should be careful in that restaurant as they don't cater for Muslims and have lots of porc in the menu .in actual fact I am not a Muslim but I have a dark complexion ,although I do not mind being considered Muslim I do think its outrageous that he felt he could talk to an ethnic minority this way.we left shocked and insulted and went across the road to cafe canaille where the real Parisian experience was delivered. Would not recommend at all.

1  Thank Eb1971
Clients S, Responsable relations clients at Chez Jenny, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

We feel truly sorry and would like to apologize for this unacceptable behaviour.

I absolutely understand your dissatisfaction and I am susprised by your comment which does not reflect the quality of service we aim to provide to each and every guests.
I have already shared your comments to the restaurant's Director so that such a problem never happens again.
For that purpose, we would be most grateful if you could give us a little bit of your time and send us your email or phone number so that we can contact you.

Again, we apologize.