“Why is this place so popular?”

Le Bouillon Chartier
Ranked #2,355 of 18,479 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I honestly don't understand the appeal of this restaurant. I've eaten here twice, once each time on my last two trips to Paris. The first time, my friend recommended we eat there as it's a place she'd heard of years ago when going on her first trip to Paris and she had enjoyed it. We arrived and there was a long queue, giving me the impression we were soon to have a great meal! I had the escargot starter, which was alright, but salty. My steak and fries were okay, nothing special.

On my most recent trip to Paris, we were staying at a hotel down the street, so decided to go to Chartier for an early dinner out of convenience and to avoid the crowds. Even though there was no queue and the restaurant was far from crowded, the service was terrible. Our server took a long time to take our order as well as bring bread and water to our table. Several groups seated after us received bread and water before we did, and when we reminded our server, she merely stated that they'd run out of bread. I had the same meal as before, and this time the escargot was better. The best part of the meal was the bottle of wine we shared!

I would not recommend anyone go out of their way to go for a meal at this restaurant. Even if you're in the area, there are other restaurants nearby serving similar or better food, such as Cafe Zephyr

Write a ReviewReviews (11,609)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

It is better to go there early because on the line up later in the evening. The food is great and the price is much lower than other options in the area. Paris restaurants are very expensive. This place is an alternative if you want a nice meal with wine at low cost.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

You can't believe this place. Table after table filled with people who don't know each other sitting side by side having lunch. The waiters are jumping around taking orders and bringing food. There are crashes in the background as plates and glassware shatter. But, is this place authentic old times or what.
The tables are covered with sheets of paper for good reason. Not just for the quick turnaround, but the waiter uses them to write your order down. The food we had was homey, things that the average home cook could do. I had the suggestion of the day, pork with olives. Good depth of flavor. The suggested dessert was a French version of flan. There was also an order of roasted chicken at the table that looked good. But heh, this is Paris.
I would recommend this place for the experience, but if you want something more complex than French home style, choose another restaurant.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Chartier is almost perfect.
Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere.
BUT, it's stressful. There are people arriving and leaving all the time, it's too noisy and a mess.
But if you're comfortable with that, you should try Chartier.
Prices are not much high, which is good.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Of course, this restaurant caters mainly for visitors who want to sample their own version of a traditional Parisian dining-hall, but it's also popular with French families, as we discovered when seated with a group of fellow-diners. Food is simple but good & plentiful, service excellent, decor and ambience marvellous. Prices are very reasonable - a bottle of the house wine cost just 9 euros - around half of the lowest price you'd pay in most restaurants. The criticisms I've read seem mainly to be from tourists who expect to be fawned on by subservient waiters, or who think a snap of their fingers will magically produce a vacant table. In fact, a meal in Chartier is a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable experience, and one we'll definitely repeat on our next visit.