“great atmosphere and unique”

Le Bouillon Chartier
Ranked #1,100 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a great evening here, its buzzing with people and the atmosphere felt very French. Queued for maybe 25 mins. Service was quick but not rushed. Its like an enormous canteen in a huge old factory (?) and I have never been anywhere like it. I had a lovely skate wing in caper butter and a chocoate choux bun filled with ice cream. After climbing the Eifel Tower It was a perfect end to the day. Definately worth the experience.

There are newer reviews for Le Bouillon Chartier

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

As a vegetarian don't even think about going. The rest didn't look promising either. Their good times seem to be long but gone. What remains is a nostalgic tourist trap.

2  Thank Natalie331
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The ambience is good and the environments seems really authentic. But seriously, no one cares that you are a tourist. Menu is in french and waiters and waitresses spoke only in french. I am sure they do realise they have many tourists interested in the cuisine and want an authentic experience. The least they could do was to get the waiters to explain what the food was. We were really disappointed becuase we could not understand anything. I guess you can say it was our fault for not knowing the language in a country predominantly french speaking. So yup, we simply ordered with the help of a person beside us but the food was just so so. Will never recommend them.

1  Thank armani123sg
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Ok, you either love it or hate it. A friend an I went here and she had some reservations as she mentioned that people are seated with other people to fill up tables. Well I happen to one of the people who love it. The food was great. We had escargot and duck for dinner. Both fantastic. Dessert was great and although busy, the staff were very helpful and attentive. We started out sitting next to a very nice couple from China and ended sitting next to a very nice couple from Italy. I thought it was a blast and just another great experience in Paris. Oh and I forgot to mention, It was the most reasonable meal I had in Paris!

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I visited with my fiance, and we had a limited budget so we were lured in. I enjoyed the room, my fiancee did not, we both quite enjoyed the chat with the couple sitting at the table beside us. I ate a rump steak cooked rare with french fries, and my fiance had a dourade with a "royale" sauce, my steak was cooked as ordered and the french fries were ok. We had ordered an "assiette des legumes" which came with mushrooms - ok, haricot vert - grey and foul, and inexplicably some cold spaghetti, i have slept on it and still dont know why. The dourade was best summarised by the description my missus gave as she soldiered on - "its a fish". Baked then reheated by frying it seemed so dry that it had been in the freezer for 3-4 years prior to cooking. The sauce was oil with some thyme and the dish was unseasoned. My real regret was that only 100m down the road there is a trio of cafes all of which will serve accurately cooked simple dishes at similar prices. My fiancee was sick upon our return home. Do not use this restaurant it is cheap and overpriced.

1  Thank STLO1977