“Adequate but don't expect too much”

Cafe Les Deux Magots
Ranked #813 of 17,407 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Description: It is located on the Left Bank of the Seine and is a wonderful and very famouns Cafe/Restaurant. I am very surprised it cannot be found on your web site.
London, United Kingdom
“Adequate but don't expect too much”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The waiters can be rude but this is a well known institution so there will always be tourists entering into this environment. We had an outdoor seating for ambience over a glass of wine, the experience was lovely but one could be sitting any outdoor cafe in Paris and feeling like that. As an experienced traveller to the city, I would go to this establishment if someone had suggested a meeting there, otherwise I'd look for quieter surrounding where I can absorbe Paris in my own pace.

• Visited October 2012

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Overrated but a must do”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is an institution on the Left Bank. A longtime hang out for writers and artists, the place looks like you can still see them sitting there. As others have said, the food is average. Service was what I call Paris Cafe service. It would be rude in the states, but normal in Paris. Not rude, but they move at their own pace, disappear to smoke, and ignore you until you flag them down. That said, you can nurse a coffee all afternoon and they don't care.

Visited October 2012
Canada
“Stunningly Rude Service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been returning many years to this "institution". The location and history of Les Deux Magots are the main attractions. Food is average and over-priced; service has been at times good and professional but it can often be bad and indifferent. Our last visit was over the top rude; involving a surly and obviously angry waiter, missing bread requested twice (necessary with a ham plate), and a formerly delicous salad changed into something more suitable for a cafeteria. Not the end of the world, but there are too many other wonderful places to enjoy in Paris.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Dtheresa
New York
“Still a Parisian institution”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Granted this classic cafe parisien comes historically charged. It's also well placed in St Germain and is replete with rude waiters, cramped quarters and is good for people watching. The food is average at best, but who's there for the culinary experience? Against one's better judgment it has a certain pull. But here's an important caveat: Two friends were recently pick pocketed there, so hold onto your wallets as you while away the day reading Baudrillard or debating what exactly are magots?

• Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Experience at Les Deux Magots”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My mom and I spent some time in Paris over the holidays/New Years and we ended up having dinner at this cafe twice. Out of all of our dining experiences, the times we spent at Les Deux Magots were my favourite. Our hotel was in the same arr. (6th) and this section where the restaurant is situated, across from the church, is one of the most lovely, gorgeous spots and one of my personal favourites in all of Paris. It leads in to even more lovely streets...absolutely beautiful. The inside was lovely too - it has a very classy atmosphere so while it may cost more then some of the more casual cafes, it rightly should. Our food was excellent...I had scallops, risotto, veggies (extra), 2 glasses of wine and dessert one night which I believe cost me somewhere around $80. I had the duck the second time along with all the rest and I think the price was similar. There seem to be alot of complaints on price which I don't quite understand - maybe it's just because I'm from a big city and we are used to paying a fair bit for fine dining. I suppose if you aren't used to that at all you will find it pricey, but its all relative. I found nothing outrageous about the prices. Service was quick, atmosphere was lovely and food was absolutely delicious. Also, didn't find it touristy whatsoever - we were the only English speaking people in the place.

• Visited December 2012