“A bit disappointing”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Paris Bistrot within 5 minutes walk of the Eiffel Tower. Run by a Michelin Star Top Chef, Christian Constant. Food is created and cooked on the premises using local produce. Each weekday offers a lunch time 3 course menu of the day for 24€ or 17€ for 2 courses. High quality creative French food at bistrot prices. Waiters speak English and French.
Melbourne, Australia
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Granted we did go at 4pm on a Sunday but I expected a bit more than what we got.
No real atmosphere to the place, no music. had about 4 tables in the downstairs, 3 of which were eating. Food was tasty but small portions for the amount you pay (about 11 euros for starter, 16 for mains at lunchtime). Service was a bit lack lustre despite only having to serve 3 tables (2 waiters).
Would possibly try again but in no rush to go back

• Visited March 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Port Orchard, Washington
“The Best Lobster Ravioli Ever”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

My husband & I had dinner at Cafe Constant in Sept 2010. We shared an appetizer of Lobster Ravioli. I had the special of pigeon in a wine & foie gras sauce. My husband had John Dory. I can never have Lobster Ravioli again because no place will make it as good as Cafe Constant. I wish I had had a whole bowl of that for dinner. Sigh. It was just too perfect.

• Visited September 2010
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good food, good service”
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Having had a great meal at one of Christian Constant's other restaurant (Les Cocottes de Christian Constant) the night before, we decided to try this place as well. Everything was very good - service, food, atmosphere. However, there isn't really anything to differentiate it from the dozens (hundreds?) of other restaurants in Paris with similar qualities.

• Visited January 2011
Oakville, Ontario
“Great food. Poor attitude.”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

We ate at Violon dingres last visit. This time stayed in apt on same street and so happy to try cafe constant. Christian in house. Shook hands with everybody but us. Great meal however with a scrumptious lobster ravioli. Tried again today And had horrid service. Paris Is full of wonderful food and atmosphere but cafe constant only has one.

1 Thank Michelle H
ireland
“Cramped room, food fine”
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The location is fine and it jostles with other great restaurants within a stones throw of the Eiffel tower. We had sea urchin, salmon tartare, scallops and pork cheek. We found the service and atmosphere to be very flat. Other diners seemed to be watching what they were saying and the staff seemed to be slighlty on edge. The fun, spontanaiety and passion that had been evident in the rest of the restaurants we visited in Paris was missing. The food was fine but slightly gimmicky. (scallops served in scallop shells, salmon tartare in oyster shells, sea urchin in their casings). We left saying it was fine, everybody was nice, the food was quick but it just felt like an ingredient or a very central person was missing. I know and have read many good reviews about this place and I know that the chef is highly regarded so perhaps we caught it on an off night or maybe we were exhausted after 3 days and nights of Paris. If I lived in Paris I would give it another chance but I wouldn't return as a tourist

• Visited January 2011