“Very nice, cosy and charming”
Review of Auberge Etchegorry

Auberge Etchegorry
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Auberge Etchegorry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,948 of 17,300 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Gobelins
Denmark
“Very nice, cosy and charming”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Stayed at the nearby Marriott (=charmless) and found this little gem through tripadvisor. Nice and solid food, Nice atmosphere. Service was good at English. Very recommenable!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Statement-dk

North Shields
“a must!”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

authentic s.w. french cuisine in Paris. Welcoming, friendly and knowledgable staff. Food & atmosphere fantastic.

Boston
“Best food during our week in Paris”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

During our week in Paris, my wife and I had dinner at three other restaurants that currently have higher Trip Advisor rankings (#10, #16, and #53) and a couple others in the top 1000 (out of 6100), as well as enjoying some very fine lunches at various bistros. But for us, this little restaurant in a quiet neighborhood just off Rue Gobelins took the cake. We ate there the first night of our stay, and we liked it so much that we decided to return there for the last night.

Auberge Etchegorry specializes in traditional Basque cuisine - it has been in existence for over 80 years - so I'm taking a guess that these are time-tested recipes. It is wonderful food. Another reviewer (of the hotel Le Vert Galant, which is attached to the restaurant) has described the 'beef with wild mushrooms' as 'to die for', and I would second this, as well as add the 'pears and prunes in armagnac' dessert to the 'to die for' list. The wine that was recommended to us turned out to be really good (which is not always the case in restaurants). The atmosphere is very relaxed, possibly the French equivalent of 'down-home' if there is such a thing, and the service was friendly and very helpful. I had the impression that they are proud of their reputation and eager to help you enjoy the food. The place was packed with French both nights we were there, which says a lot to me.

For what turned out to be the two best meals we had all week - and this was a week during which we did not have a bad meal and had many excellent ones - we paid the relatively low price of 80 Euros, and this selecting from the 'Degustation' menu, which got us cheese in the bargain, and including the cost of the wine.

If and when we visit Paris again, we will definitely make it a point to visit this restaurant again. I think this has to rank as my favorite restaurant of all time, in any city!

2 Thank JMD_and_LFD
Curitiba, Brazil
“Victor Hugo would (still) love it”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

The restaurant occupies what used to be "Le Cabaret de Madame Grégoire", whose guests included Victor Hugo, Chateaubriand and other bon vivants. Today, a more collected clientele can enjoy French Southwestern cuisine (Basque-Béarnaise specialities) like duck foie gras (fresh or in splendid "terrines"). There are 3 different fixed-price "menus". I suggest the "dégustation", which provides a 4 course meal for EUR 39. OK, not a bargain, but it's well worth it. By the way, don't miss the Etchegorry salad (yes, a salad!). Even if you (like myself) would never even consider to order vegetables when in Paris.

3 Thank PHX
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“high-end 'pays basque' emporium (I didn't pick up the tab, but rather 'energetic' food and prices)”
Reviewed April 17, 2008