“Disappointment”

Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Les Halles
Description: Real beating heart of the capital, Au Pied de Cochon is the first institution to offer, from its opening in 1947, a continuous service 24h / 24, 7/7. This legendary brewery welcomes guests in a very friendly atmosphere around a beautiful French traditional fare.
Reviewed June 26, 2016

choose this restaurant for its beautiful look and obviously French charm, the meal started promisingly by being introduced to our waiter, however was following by a very long line of disappointments. Waited 10 minutes to just make a drink order which then took just under an hour to arrive (didn't even have water). It was obvious they had forgotten all about us. Eventually our meals arrived which I would say we're average, especially given the price. Had absolutely no customer service and they did not seem interested in looking after non-French patrons. Would not recommend for food or service as was overpriced and unwelcoming.

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (4,107)

Reviewed June 26, 2016

Stick with small, charming cafes instead. Poor service; mediocre food. Got off to a bad start as we ordered off "Express Menu" (early bird) which waiter didn't know about. Manager appeared and just stood there looking stern. He reluctantly took the order. They then sent me the wrong starter. Then an argument at end whether the Early Bird included dessert or not. In NYC, management would have made it right somehow. Not here. Decor is not classy French or even cheap Napoleon; more like Tony Soprano New Jersey. Tourist trap. Only other diners were Asian. Not a Frenchman in sight. This place was recommended to us and apparently others here rave about it. Shellfish is extremely expensive. There are many more charming places to eat in Paris!

2  Thank Bernie1949
Reviewed June 14, 2016 via mobile

This place rocks. The moment you hit the door you realize that you've made one of the most exciting dining choices of your life. It's a party, it's like no other. So very friendly and with the tight seating you'll strike up conversations with everybody in earshot of your table. Don't be put off by some of the entrée descriptions. Absolutely go big or go home because this place pushes the envelope.
Jean Michelle the GM is nothing short of becoming your new best friend as you'll spend probably close to 3 hours here and the wine along with the fois that accompanies nearly everything you won't be disappointed. Just be prepared to tie on the food bag like no place else.

1  Thank hockeyeh
Reviewed June 14, 2016

In true Parisian brasserie dining fashion Au Pied de Cochon does not disappoint. The seafood platters are to die for and the house specialty "pied de cochon" (pigs' feet) a veritable culinary experience! Service is swift, humorous, colorful and friendly. We will be back!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed June 13, 2016 via mobile

The restaurant has quite a grand/posh feel to it with prices to match. Ordered the duck foie gras as a starter and the charcuterie between us, both were very nice. The waiter we had was a very lovely man and nothing was too much trouble. I had a problem with my main meal. I ordered the steak and I was asked how I would like it cooked, I requested that it be cooked medium to well done. The steak arrived and it could have walked off my plate it was that raw. I asked if they could cook it for longer, the waiter took it away and it came back 10 minutes later no more cooked than it had been originally. At this point both my friends had finished their mains already and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of waiting another 20 minutes for the steak to be cooked properly, added to this, a worker in the restaurant, not a waiter, someone in a suit and a bow tie (who had seated us when we arrived) said rather rudely in front of us to our waiter 'eugh the british' (obviously unhappy at the way I asked my steak to be cooked). At this point I was honestly just insulted and I wanted to leave. I ate what I could of the meal and we asked for the bill. The saving grace of the meal was that our lovely waiter kindly took the price of the steak of the bill (not at my request I hasten to add, I fully intended on paying for it), he was very apologetic and kind. Shame the rest of the staff didn't have the same attitude. Overall our experience was a bit mediocre frankly, for the price of the food I expected that it would be cooked the way requested, whilst I was grateful for our lovely waiter taking the cost of the steak off the bill, it shouldn't have come to that. What really was unacceptable was the attitude of the aforementioned member of staff in the suit who made the rude comment. Would not recommend the restaurant and I honestly wouldn't go again.

1  Thank 48jena