“Not for a foody”
Review of Au Petit Riche

Au Petit Riche
Ranked #358 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Went there just because my favourite L'ami Louis was closed and based upon tripadvisor reviews... I was SO disappointed :/ ... Nice interior but that's to it. It has no conditioner what so ever, we were sweating like hell... I went there for foie gras, such a big disappointment! It was so damn salty, whether they tried to cover up the taste or ... :/ and snails- not fresh... please, if you want most fantastic foie gras and snails, L'ami Louis is your place!

My main was grilled fish. I left half of it... Charcoal was so heavy on it and every bite was just so bitter. My friend ad beef and that was great tho! And last, we kindly asked them to order a taxi for us...after 15min wait we decided to go outside as it lacked any kind of air inside... What a nice surprise when it turned out that they never bothered to order a cab for us...instead they kind of hoped that a free taxi would drive by the restaurant. As we needed to be somewhere by clock I just craved the first free one I happened to find... Anyways... Don't recommend and will not go back !!!

There are newer reviews for Au Petit Riche

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Its irritating if all you find in the French bistro is series of different Chinese tourist groups and our table of German English descent.
Seems not much future to the original French Bistrot!

Food, however, was very good. Albeit priced above what I expected, but very good quality, which we appreciated.

Not sure we go back.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had dinner to Petit Riche several times the last years. Apparently it's a bistrot that concierge's around the neighborhood they suggest (Millenium, Interconti, etc).
Really charming environment, many separate rooms of 4-7 tables, lots of tourist early and later you meet some French, mostly after the end of an Opera play or a theatre nearby. Historically it was a restaurant for the drivers and the employees, they would park the carriages around the corner, of rich French bourgeoisies that would enjoy a play in the Opera nearby. That's how it got its name which means in English "the little rich"
Once you enter you feel an era from the beginning of the century but that's all. I can't remember a taste that really impressed me except a fish with lentils that was really nicely assembled and original as a taste, which I think they do not have it any more.... The cuisine is neither modern nor nouvelle cuisine, but mostly dishes from different corners of France. Pricing is reasonable, may be the bottled wines a bit overvalued. About the service it's true that is not constantly as it should be. I think the service team changes frequently and it happens to be treated either as a king or indifferently. May be also it depends what time you visit the restaurant... The earlier, the better because may be they are not so tired.
In conclusion, it's a safe choice for the none adventurous travelers, that I would recommend and I would gladly go back again.

1  Thank Konstantinosss
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Not the best location (i.e. no views), but classic food, perfectly prepared and presented in the traditional French style from which the world has learned so much.

2  Thank William B
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I (both chefs) went to this restaurant to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, on the recommendation of the concierge of our hotel, and were very disappointed.

On our arrival we were greeted warmly by the bartender but whisked to a table quite briskly by the maitre'd. The restaurant decor has a certain historic charm but looks tired and it could do with some repairs.

We were automatically given English menus but the descriptions of the dishes sounded so awful that I asked for a French menu so I could recognise the various items on offer. One of the waiters unceremoniously plonked down the card with the daily specials on the empty table next to ours then departed. Once we had decided what we wanted we put our menus down to make it clear that we were ready to order. Despite the constant traffic to and from the kitchen door, next to which we had been seated, we were ignored for quite a while. Eventually our order was taken by a gentleman who we assume was the owner/manager (because we saw him telling off one of the waiters!).

Our meals were OK but nothing to get excited about and what little interaction we had with the waiters was brusque and quite unpleasant.

After our entrees and main courses my husband went off to the toilet and upon his return reported that they hadn't given us the worst table. There was a table near the toilet door were they had seated a woman with a child! The waiters in this place reminded me of some of the snooty European waiters I worked with here in Australia during the late 1970s and early 1980s. They exude an air of superiority and act busy but don't actually provide good service.

We managed to flag a waiter down to ask for the dessert menus and he returned within a few minutes so we asked for 2 more minutes to decide. Some 20 minutes later, and by this time the restaurant was almost empty, he returned to take our order. My husband commented that this was the longest 2 minutes he had ever experienced, to which the people on the table across the aisle chimed in that they had been waiting for ages too. The waiter was clearly offended by this. When I ordered the dessert from the daily specials card he told me that there was none left - clearly it would have been asking too much for him to have communicated that to me when he gave us the menus! I ordered something else and we both had coffee.

These people need to have a long, hard think about why they are involved in the hospitality industry. We had a lot of laughs at their expense so they didn't ruin our night but what a shame to be treated as though our custom was not appreciated. I would not recommend this restaurant on the basis of our experience there and we made sure we told our concierge, who said he would phone them because some other hotel guests had given him a similar report recently.

2  Thank ozyvette