“Lovely but very overpriced for what it was”

Hotel Particulier Montmartre
Ranked #1,304 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely but very overpriced for what it was”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I booked this hotel as a birthday treat for my boyfriend. We were going to Paris for the weekend, arriving early on Saturday morning and leaving Sunday evening and I wanted somewhere nice for us to stay, somewhere a bit special. I found this hotel on the Guardian website, which rated it highly so had a look. Thought it was somewhat over priced but after looking at the quality of the rooms (from the images on their website) thought I'd give it a go.

Got off the metro and got lost. We were using the tripadvisor app to get around (app is amazing but neither of our phones had any network so couldn't use the 'show me' aspect of the maps section) and spent an hour finding the right road. We used the street door numbers to find the hotel, which you entered via a black gate. Pressed the button and a lovely man answered, opened the gate and met us just before the hotels garden. Went through another gate and saw a beautiful garden with little tables and chairs (can imagine would be lovely in summer but on a VERY cold autumn day not so good).

Were shown to our room (suite number 2 - junior). My first opinion was 'wow, this is very brown'. Everything seemed a bit old, like it needed sprucing up a bit. The man showed us the bathroom (no bath sadly, i'd been looking forward to it!) which had a steam room and a 'big shower' (the man's words). He then told us that to use the steam room you had to phone reception to get it turned on because they turned it off from outside... Not really ideal but not the end of the world. There was a display cabinet full of very strange items, had a good look and didn't understand why they were there. They didn't fit with the brown theme of the room (they were all pink and resembled certain body parts that would be more suited in Amsterdam). The 'padded wall' had bits that had fallen off of it and some of the plugs didn't work but otherwise ok.

We went for a walk round the local area and had some dinner which was lovely. When we returned the main lobby was filled to the brim with people socialising. Felt like a private members class, a bit too classy for us but if you're that type of person then you'd love it. We went straight up to our room. We then had to turn the tv on very loud as you could hear your neighbours 'enjoying' themselves a bit too loudly..

Had a very pleasant sleep, the bed was very comfortable although the room was quite cold and we couldn't make the heating/air con unit work (we didn't phone down to reception to help - i'm sure they would have!). I couldn't work the big shower in the morning, it was either boiling hot or freezing cold so used the shower in the steam room. Discovered the door to the steam room had a giant crack running through it.

Checked out and continued our tour of Paris.

Overall enjoyed our stay. I'd advise asking before you book which suite you will be in as the labels on the website and booking form are misleading - I thought i'd booked the garden suite with the bath! I do think the price tag was ridiculous considering the size of the room and the other little things but if money is no object then come here and have a lovely private retreat in Paris - only a ten minute walk from the Sacre-Coeur with stunning views.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anbo53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, England
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stuck behind a gate on the rising Avenue Junot is this amazing boutique hotel, entered by pushing a reasonably hidden buzzer. The door opens onto an alley in which there are four buildings, of which Batiment D is the Hotel...

On arrival, you have the impression that this is someone's house, just kitted into a designed hotel which is no doubt what it was in a former life. Reception is no more than a Macbook Pro hosted by young staff who confirmed promptly and showed us to the room on the second floor.

Room 5 is the Deluxe Suite, the "Curtain of Hair" and the door opens onto a spiral staircase leading to a 85 square metre attic space of lounge, bathtub, bedroom and attic window offering great views over Paris from la butte Montmartre.

Breakfast is served inside or outside although weather was not on our side this time. Service is slow yet assured and there is no choice but continental, which works just fine.

Having stayed in Paris many times over the past 20 years and lived there, this was a real treat. Recommended for couples...

Room Tip: Go for the top room, Chambre 5, named the "Curtain of Hair" - great views!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lucidboy
irvine, ca.
Reviewed June 30, 2012

A unique and special property, secluded behind gates down a hidden passage, this former mansion is a cross between Parisian avant guarde and Hollywood and the Sunset strip '70's. There are only five suites but the staff ratio provides first class service. The gardens are a study in planning, every nook detailed. This is truly an alternative to the 5 star palaces. It's not for everyone. But for some, it is a very romantic one of a kind hotel.

Room Tip: The suite on the top floor is huge for Paris at 800 sq' and a great rooftop view. Its defintely...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmbIrvine_Ca_
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Great boutique hotel. If you want to get away from the ‘tourist’ aspect of Paris and experience a true Parisian life style, this is the hotel for you. Small hotel but the rooms are spacious, well equipped and delightfully decorated.
Our suite #4 had a spar bath……..not cheap but well worth the extra $$$ as we had a very memorable stay.
The coffee, once we knew what to order, was GREAT!!!A pot of American coffee with milk on the side.
Hmmm, lovely and a great way to start the day. I can’t comment on the food as we didn’t eat at the hotel, as there were so many small cafés and bakeries to try around the Montmartre area. Great food and the prices were reasonable. Much cheaper than in the heart of Paris
You are only a 5min walk to the underground that will take you to almost anywhere across Paris.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColleenF985
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This was a stay to remember. I love it. The garden is stunning, the townhouse really nice, the lobby great, the rooms surprising. I fel in love immediately and had a great great 4 days stay. I used the garden as working space. It's a gem. It's my favorite in Paris. It's my secret tip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Mister M
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2012

While doing a hotel search I came across this unique 5 room Villa hotel and I was very intrigued, however, I reluctantly booked it because it is in such an odd location.

The GOOD:
This beautifully renovated Montmartre Villa feels like a posh private residence - hence the name I guess. Even though it is a hotel, it feels more like you are visiting your rich Parisian aunt if you had one.

I chose the dark burgundy velvet tuffted room, and I loved it. It is very spacious with high ceilings, a king size bed (all to myself) and it is so so so quiet, it was like a remote & peaceful retreat, ideal if you like to sleep in. This room is on the dark side but somehow it felt very soothing. The generous bathroom is great and the steam room was a very nice surprise.

I travel to Paris a lot, and I can honestly say this is the only place where I got the most restful sleep ever. Part of that being that this area of Montmartre is not well traveled by cars and city buses, and part because the HP is situated behind two locked gates in the middle of a peaceful residential enclave.

Paris is a "walking city" and the large steam room was such a treat at the end of a busy long day!! A unique and sweet indulgence. The shower is huge and it can easily fit two people in it ; )

The staff (of 1) was very friendly & professional, even though she was outnumbered by the hotel guests.

One other thing I liked about this hotel is the fact that you can actually book the room you see on the website (if available) and you don't have a surprise when you get there.

I garden is very beautiful and well designed.

The BAD:
It was very dificult to find. I'm glad I was on foot, and not in a cab, as I circled and circled to find the entrance to the couryard.

Hint: bring pictures of the 2 metal gates with you (a reviewer posted them) The first gate is RECESSED from the other buildings outline, that's why is so easy to miss, or hard to find - whichever way you want to look at it. It looks like a driveway.

It would be very helpful if the hotel website had a diagram to help visitors find them easier as this seems to be a common complaint in most reviews.

Another minor minus is the lamps on the night stands. They are very small and flimsy & look too cheap for this room.

I would definitely go back to HP, but next time I would bring someone along. Being a female traveling alone, I did not feel safe walking to the hotel from the Metro station in the late evening hours. . The streets were too deserted for my taste. Day time is perfectly safe however, as there are many people walking around. The metro station was surprisingly seedy for such a nice neighborhood.

I would recommend this for a romantic getaway FOR SURE....If you think you might bump into the other 4 guests, you will not. The size of this mansion is very generous and each room has a lot of privacy. But I would not suggest this for a business traveler or women traveling alone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank ThatsMyLuggage
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2012

You'd be somewhat reluctant to relegate it to the traditional yet trendy category, yet the hotel particulier has intentionally drawn extensively on this hybrid approach. We are both Architects and appricate beautiful unique hotels. The decoration in your hotel looks absolutely divine. We are very happy is the junior suite. Call Vegetale.
Next time were in Paris we can get to stay at your hotel. Many thanks for everythink.
Garden, service, breakfast, room, lovely restaurant and so good food. And we love this area.
Very nice time wis my girlfriend in Montmartre. We both loves restaurant Pomponette and Marcel. Is very near from the aeroport Charles de Gaulle. 20 minutes in taxi.
Gemma.