“Unsanitary and appauling”

Hipotel Paris Belleville
Ranked #1,745 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Only 1 night into our 5 night stay we are trying our best to stay out of the hotel and in the city.
The room is okay, simple bed and sink.

But...

there is only 1 toilet per floor and 1 shower per floor.
the toilet on our floor stinks and doesnt even have a toilet seat!!!
the shower on our floor looks like its mid construction with piled tiles and a door which doesnt even lock!!!

I went to the next toilet just at the top of the next floor...
Nope, Vomit every where.
the shower on that floor.... Out of order.

Hygienically Horrible.

Wifi isnt free and even after paying for it I had trouble getting it to work consistently.
That shouldnt be an issue if you have to pay for the service.

Love Paris, Hate the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start ... Staff are pretty rude and uncaring, the guy that checked us in barely looked up from his tv and seemed annoyed we were disturbing him. Foyer was really run down, with huge construction going on and practically half the wall missing. Our room was ok, had a sink and small wardrobe. Bed was pretty hard but was ok to sleep on. Only one shower per floor and our toilet on our floor had no light and a hole in the wall. On our last night the room next to us was broken into. The girl lost all her money, passport, camera, some clothes. She was from Spain, so her English wasn't too good. and my Spanish is terrible so we couldn't communicate properly. But I think they climbed up the drain pipe and broke in through the window. I'm not sure if she was in her room at the time but we heard screaming and shouting in the night and heard the manager outside our room. So not a very nice experience. That was our last night if it hadnt of been I think we would of left and found another hotel. Its a mostly asian/ muslim area, they had a large street market outside hotel everyday. One plus is there is cheap restaurants around the area. The restaurant/bar at the end of the street had good food and friendly welcoming staff. And the kebab shop a few doors up had good food and friendly staff. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Staff were friendly enough although weren't very welcoming as you usually have at a hotel. We arrived a few hours early and had asked if we could leave our suitcases in the room- but not necessarily check in and use the room- was told we had to pay €10 to do so. I saw this as a way of getting more money out of us but we had to as we didn't want to lug our suitcases round all day. Good customer service would have been to allow us to just leave our suitcases for free without using the room- to compensate for not actually having anywhere to leave them on either arrival OR departure.
Bedroom was tiny and certainly didn't look anything like any of the pictures. It was clean enough but needed a lot of tidying up. It was suitable for us as all we didn't was sleep as we were out all day. Would not recommend if you are planning to spend more that a few hours in there..
There were no draws to put clothes and there was only one hanger so we had to keep everything in our suitcases...and the only mirror in there was the one in the bathroom.
Room was EXTREMELY loud at night as the walls either side were paper thin...not nice at 3am (if you get what i mean..) woke up many times due to people walking up and down in the room above. Obviously had wooden floors..
Stayed for 3 nights and sheets weren't changed. Only thing changed was bin in bathroom.

Location of hotel was ok and was only a few minutes round the corner from the station Colonel Fabien. So very handy in that sense.

If you're looking for a seriously low budget hotel then it is ok for that- if you don't care about sleep. We paid €135 for 3 nights. I'm not sure if that is a good price for paris but I pay £50 a night for travel lodge and premier inn...and it's nothing compared...

Not sure if it offered breakfast..but I wouldn't have eaten anyway..

All together good hotel of your just looking to put your head down- anything else then I would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Yeap, terrible. Doors don't shut or open, only if you apply extreme force. 1 (broken) showerhead for about 30 rooms - shower door doesn't shut either, so you have no privacy. Toilets get blocked daily. Spiral, very narrow, tiled staircase unlit. Some tiles of the staircase are broken and loose = dangerous. Smelly, dirty and depressing place, but warm in winter and quiet at night except for people trying to shut or open their doors. Still if you decide to stay, be prepared for: sponge bath only, and using public toilets around town - they are free and relatively clean. Get yourself a kettle to boil water as tap water maybe unsafe to drink given the state of the building. Bring your own towels, bedsheets, soap, cups etc. In summer bring insecticide. The location is excellent though with 2 Metro lines at a 1 minute walk. Lots of cheap shops around for everything from food to clothing. Friendly, warm neighbourhood.

Room Tip: Make sure your room -has a handwashing basin -is not higher than the 1st floor, and -it is NOT...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Went with my husband in 2008 and we thought it was great. Where else can you find a clean room for 30 euros in Paris with pleasant staff and decent, safe location? Right. You can't. Now it's 40 euros for ensuite bathroom and it's still a steal.

Yes - the walls are a bit thin. So there's no lift and you walk. So what? It has heat, the sheets are clean and the bed was fine.

Chinese prostitutes? Seriously? What, you were hoping for Kazhaks? Who cares? It's a great neighborhood with friendly people and great diversity.

Anyway, I'll be staying again in December and update my review then. I'm picky, but in Paris picky will cost you $300 bucks to start and I'd rather put that money somewhere else. All the naysayers sound like a bunch of whiny prima donnas who require 400 thread count sheets but can't afford the cost. Grow up. This is Paris. $100 dollars is budget. $60 is unbelievable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank usedtoworkthereQUIT
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Please don't stay here - unless you wish to stay in a hotel which should, frankly be condemned. It has no lift (bad enough!) but also needs considerable renovation throughout. Although my room was reasonably large, and had a pleasant view (the only positives!), the rickety staircase and unreliable amenities need urgent attention. One toilet may have a light not working; the one on the floor below may not flush: take your chances! Added to the negatives is the abundance of Chinese prostitutes playing their trade on the boulevard nearby. The reception staff were surly and unhelpful. The final straw for me was that they wouldn't let me leave my luggage for a few hours on my day of departure. The first hotel that have ever refused me in many many years of travelling! It may be cheap but you are not, so please take my advice and find somewhere that is better value, decent and doesn't treat tourists as gullible fools.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Simon G
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Seriously, I rarely complain about anything, everyone tells me I'm extremely laid-back and easy going, and it would take a lot for me to give out about something, but this hotel is honestly a complete and utter dump.
I would strongly advise finding ANYWHERE else.
My reason for coming here:
Completely my own fault, I left it way too late to find anywhere else for one night at the end of a stay in Paris with a friend. My friend flew home the day before me so I needed somewhere basic and cheap to stay for one night.
Yes the price was reasonable, but no more so than a very nice place we stayed for the 4 previous nights: Relais Bergson, av. Simon Bolivar, and certainly not cheap enough for what I got.
Firstly, the area is not nice at all, it has a very dirty, loud and unsafe feel about it.
From the outside the hotel looks like one of the best buildings in the area, but don't be fooled.
The inside is basically a construction site, which isn't technically a bad thing as renovations are badly needed. However, personally I think knocking the entire building and starting from scratch would be a better option.
When I entered the building, I overlooked the fact that many of the tiles on the stairs were missing, like I said, I'm an easy going person.
My room was on the second floor, which stank of I don't even know what, just gross. The tiles in the hallway haven't been swept or mopped in about 2 years, really greasy and dirty looking.
The bedroom doors would not make you feel safe. There's bits gone out of nearly all of them and the handles aren't the most secure. Every time I left the room I brought literally everything except my changes of clothes with me, I was that untrusting of the place.
The walls in the room are absolutely filthy, disgusting, I even made a decision to sleep as far away from every wall as possible. The headboard had been pulled off and there's a line like when you get a tan on holidays, white underneath where it was, and a brown color everywhere else, showing just how dirty the walls are.
The bed wasn't very well made, so much so that I wasn't sure if the room had been cleaned after the previous guests. I can overlook that of course once it's relatively clean.
I'm not sure if I had been given clean sheets, etc. either yes and they just weren't washed very well, or no and the previous guests didn't dirty them, I'm still not sure.
As I walked down the streets of Belleville I noticed old furniture thrown at the side of the street, and I think that is where the owners of the hotel got the furniture, seriously.
Fully equipped with a one-door, one-knob wardrobe which I was too scared to even look into, a like study desk and chair (who the f*** needs that?). The table had lumps of wood taken out of it and the metal of the chair was rusty and mouldy.
There is no toilet in the room, I think you share with everyone on the corridor. There is however a sink with a dodgy tap and a shaving light that doesn't work and has no plug to plug in a shaver if you wanted to shave.
Oh, the rooms are apparently soundproof, yet I could hear EVERYTHING any other guest said or did.
Really I could go on for hours but I think this review is long enough.
I will give two positive points:
1. There is electricity in the room.
2. The wifi is actually pretty good. (Not free though, you pay 3 euro for 24h)
In conclusion, it stinks, it's really old, really dirty, really rough, really noisy, really unsafe and just downright disgusting.
Please please please do not go to this hotel or area, unless you don't require basic needs, literally.

Room Tip: Just don't go here, that's the best tip I can give.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo