“Location - hands down winner”

Hotel Opera Maintenon
Ranked #968 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Plus points:
- Receptionist was friendly and room had a balcony (I stayed in room 416, a triple room).
- The room was decently sized taking into consideration the fact that this is central Paris!
- The location is very very very excellent (significantly better than just "excellent"), considerably near metro stations Pyramides (line 7 and 14) and Quattre-Septembre (line 3), which means there are direct lines to most attractions. And of course, the Louvre, is but a short walk away. (HINT: The Louvre is really pretty at night - and since this hotel is located so near by, what's stopping you from leaving the hotel for a night walk at the Louvre?)

Minus points:
- Key is incredibly cumbersome with a heavy metallic weight attached!!? Ridiculous yet cute.
- Receptionist had difficults comprehending English/Spanish, but managed to understand me after some attempt.
- TV did not work. Yep, they provided a manual, but still refused to work after following the instructions word-by-word.
- Wi-Fi signal was weak in our room (Room 4-16). Making it worse was the fact that the wifi connection required a log-in ID, and whenever it disconnected, I had to re-login again. Each log-in ID was only usable for ONE device, so be sure to get more than one at the counter.
- Lift is not available at reception on ground level, and you MUST grace the steps up to L1 to take the lift from there. Lift was extremely old-type and the doors must be shut manually - all doors on all floors must be shut before the lift goes anywhere. However on L1 the door tends to get stuck on the carpeting when open! So don't be surprised when the lift doesnt seem to respond while you are frantically pressing the button on L4. You have to walk down to L1 to shut the door if the previous user did not bother.
- Your troubles multiply if you have lots of luggage as the lift carriage is rather small. You can have a maximum of 3 people inside, or even less with your luggage.

Room Tip: My room 416, a triple room, had a nicer view of the street than those on the lower floors, but had w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank cowfart

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Older hotel but room was neat and tidy, and met our expectations. We stayed for 3 nights in total. However, on the morning of the 3rd night, we found a bedbug on our pillow! And then we started looking on our beds, and found a few more baby bedbugs, so it was probably a fairly new infestation. The manager appologized but did not compensate us. We did not see how badly we were bitten until a few days later, when we were covered in red welts (we did not see any bedbugs on the rest of our month trip). I understand it is not the hotel's fault but needless to say it did put a damper on our trip. So I would give this hotel a 4-rating if it wasn't for the bedbugs. Please be careful when staying at this hotel as well as other hotels when travelling, as us travellers are the ones moving bedbugs around!

Room Tip: Room 416 had bedbugs
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank G0123
maintenonparis, Responsable réception at Hotel Opera Maintenon, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

We are sorry for this incident was resolved immediately.
Following this, we treated all rooms, even carefully, using a specialized company which informed us of this problem.
We had never encountered this problem before, there is a resurgence of bed bugs in Paris. They come in bags of travelers.
We deeply regret that this incident occurred during your stay, but you have to understand, the hotel is not at fault.
We have completely eradicated the problem.
Sincerely

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed with two friends for aprx. a week. The hotel was very good value for the money! They had tidy and clean rooms, which were cleaned up every day. The staff was very helpfull! The breakfast was ok but simple. And the location is perfect, the Louvre was in walking distance as well as the Seine. It was close to three different subways, so it was very good for tourists who wants to go and see everything. In all it was a great hotel to stay at!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Saewhad
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We booked this hotel because our apartment rental was not available for our first night stay in Paris. The hotel is very old, historical, but clean. The spiral staircase with bags is a bit challenging & the narrow hallways were poorly lit. We had two rooms, one on the 2nd floor the other on the 3rd. My room (courtyard side of building) had 15 ft. ceilings, was dark & quiet..just what I needed after traveling for 15 hours. My daughter's room was on the street side & very noisy due to street traffic. Bathrooms are tiny but have plenty of hot water. The hosts were welcoming, very cordial & helpful but did not speak good English. Neighborhood (Asian center) felt safe & was within walking distance to everything (transportation & attractions). Good value but would not recommend for stays longer than a couple nights.

Room Tip: Rooms NOT on the street. Don't expect grand rooms, this hotel was built in the 1600's. enjoy...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kbd_sf
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Firstly its important to say that hotels in Paris are generally very expensive and not very good in comparison to many cities - particularly the US and Asia. Space is always an issue, so they are generally small, they are in old buildings, so can usually be a bit dated and traditional in style. So once you lower your overall expectations about hotels in Paris - it's easier to judge them on their individual merit.

I had an American friend visiting and we chose to go to Paris. She wanted something quaint, in the heart of Paris ...but not too expensive. I found Opera Maintenon on Expedia and it was only €130 a night..... I picked it, because it is on Rue St Anne ...only 5 minutes walk from the Louvre.

I didnt; have high hopes that it would bowl me over - but when we arrived, it had a nice little quaint reception area and we were checked in really quickly. The room was small with two double bed, traditional and sparesly furnished - but when you don't intend to spend a lot of time in the room - then it is fine. The bathroom was very small and didn't have a proper shower, just a hand held one over a quarter bath with a little seat - so you effectively sit in it and spray yourself down. I didn't think this was going to work - but it was a good powerful and warm shower - so it was fine.

The only slight gripe is that the windows are not double glazed as they are tradtional sash windows and as deliveries start coming down Rue St Anne early in the morning - you get the full force of it - but that said, Paris in general is noisy - but perhaps asking for a room at the rear would be a better option.

All in all - I liked this little hotel, it had a bit of character, was at the right price and was spot on in terms of location. I'd go again.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one not facing the street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank missie22
Reviewed September 26, 2011

First of all, Location: Many Paris hotels with Opera in the title are nowhere near the area at all, but the Opera Maintenon genuinely is. Rue Sainte Anne is a narrow side street with minimal traffic at the intersection with Rue des Petit Champs which leads directly onto the Avenue l'Opera and is a two minute walk to Pyramide Metro station, so convenient allround.

My room had a pleasant decor but the low lighting didn't quite disguise the number of stains on the carpet, also the decorative cushions on top of the bed had a very unpleasant smell. Another annoyance was that there was only one channel (in French) available on the TV. As other reviewers have pointed out, the bathroom is very small and as a woman of average size and height I managed with the toilet okay but a taller or more portly person would have a real problem with the tiny amount of leg room. On the other hand the shower worked well and the hot water was constant without having to run the tap forever before it gets hot which is a feature of many other hotels. The room was on a light well and there was some noise up until midnight, after then it was totally quiet and I got a very good night's sleep.

As has been mentioned by others, the lift is on the first floor and I had to struggle up the curved staircase with my luggage with no assistance being offered. On the whole I found the staff very pleasant apart from one incident when I asked for my key from a non comprehending member of staff, okay my French accent is poor, but he didn't understand English either leaving me to hold up my fingers to get him to understand before telling me (in French) that there was no such room number. Luckily the excellent manageress appeared on the scene at that point and promptly handed me my key. I can laugh about it now but it wasn't funny at the time.

Finally I felt the cost of the room wasn't reflected in the quality as on my last trip to Paris seven months ago I stayed at a far better establishment at a slightly lower price, though to be fair I noticed increased prices everywhere on this trip so maybe inflation is starting to bite.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Overstone
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed 5 nights. Room was clean and roomy enough for both of us. Staff was very helpful and location is excellent. Had a street side room. Street can be a little busy but if you close the window it is very quiet. Everything in the room worked properly. Very good value!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family