“OK for short stay”

Hotel Opera Maintenon
Ranked #1,012 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We booked this hotel because our apartment rental was not available for our first night stay in Paris. The hotel is very old, historical, but clean. The spiral staircase with bags is a bit challenging & the narrow hallways were poorly lit. We had two rooms, one on the 2nd floor the other on the 3rd. My room (courtyard side of building) had 15 ft. ceilings, was dark & quiet..just what I needed after traveling for 15 hours. My daughter's room was on the street side & very noisy due to street traffic. Bathrooms are tiny but have plenty of hot water. The hosts were welcoming, very cordial & helpful but did not speak good English. Neighborhood (Asian center) felt safe & was within walking distance to everything (transportation & attractions). Good value but would not recommend for stays longer than a couple nights.

Room Tip: Rooms NOT on the street. Don't expect grand rooms, this hotel was built in the 1600's. enjoy...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kbd_sf

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Firstly its important to say that hotels in Paris are generally very expensive and not very good in comparison to many cities - particularly the US and Asia. Space is always an issue, so they are generally small, they are in old buildings, so can usually be a bit dated and traditional in style. So once you lower your overall expectations about hotels in Paris - it's easier to judge them on their individual merit.

I had an American friend visiting and we chose to go to Paris. She wanted something quaint, in the heart of Paris ...but not too expensive. I found Opera Maintenon on Expedia and it was only €130 a night..... I picked it, because it is on Rue St Anne ...only 5 minutes walk from the Louvre.

I didnt; have high hopes that it would bowl me over - but when we arrived, it had a nice little quaint reception area and we were checked in really quickly. The room was small with two double bed, traditional and sparesly furnished - but when you don't intend to spend a lot of time in the room - then it is fine. The bathroom was very small and didn't have a proper shower, just a hand held one over a quarter bath with a little seat - so you effectively sit in it and spray yourself down. I didn't think this was going to work - but it was a good powerful and warm shower - so it was fine.

The only slight gripe is that the windows are not double glazed as they are tradtional sash windows and as deliveries start coming down Rue St Anne early in the morning - you get the full force of it - but that said, Paris in general is noisy - but perhaps asking for a room at the rear would be a better option.

All in all - I liked this little hotel, it had a bit of character, was at the right price and was spot on in terms of location. I'd go again.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one not facing the street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank missie22
Reviewed September 26, 2011

First of all, Location: Many Paris hotels with Opera in the title are nowhere near the area at all, but the Opera Maintenon genuinely is. Rue Sainte Anne is a narrow side street with minimal traffic at the intersection with Rue des Petit Champs which leads directly onto the Avenue l'Opera and is a two minute walk to Pyramide Metro station, so convenient allround.

My room had a pleasant decor but the low lighting didn't quite disguise the number of stains on the carpet, also the decorative cushions on top of the bed had a very unpleasant smell. Another annoyance was that there was only one channel (in French) available on the TV. As other reviewers have pointed out, the bathroom is very small and as a woman of average size and height I managed with the toilet okay but a taller or more portly person would have a real problem with the tiny amount of leg room. On the other hand the shower worked well and the hot water was constant without having to run the tap forever before it gets hot which is a feature of many other hotels. The room was on a light well and there was some noise up until midnight, after then it was totally quiet and I got a very good night's sleep.

As has been mentioned by others, the lift is on the first floor and I had to struggle up the curved staircase with my luggage with no assistance being offered. On the whole I found the staff very pleasant apart from one incident when I asked for my key from a non comprehending member of staff, okay my French accent is poor, but he didn't understand English either leaving me to hold up my fingers to get him to understand before telling me (in French) that there was no such room number. Luckily the excellent manageress appeared on the scene at that point and promptly handed me my key. I can laugh about it now but it wasn't funny at the time.

Finally I felt the cost of the room wasn't reflected in the quality as on my last trip to Paris seven months ago I stayed at a far better establishment at a slightly lower price, though to be fair I noticed increased prices everywhere on this trip so maybe inflation is starting to bite.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Overstone
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed 5 nights. Room was clean and roomy enough for both of us. Staff was very helpful and location is excellent. Had a street side room. Street can be a little busy but if you close the window it is very quiet. Everything in the room worked properly. Very good value!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sunshine3691
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed here for four nights with 2 friends, we had a triple room. The room itself was quite small, but enough for us. Room was situated on a inner courtyard, the noise from outside was minimal, and when we closed the curtains the room was also totally dark. Considering you are about 150 meters from Avenue de l'Opera that was already more than we expected.
The bathroom however was really small. The toilet is in a awkard place, you have to sit diagonally more or less.

To sum it up, for us it was a pleasant experience, the rooms were clean and cleaned well, bathroom was bare minimum, slept rather good and you can walk to many locations easily. Good value for money really!

PS: if you travel by car as we did there are many underground parking places nearby (at a steep price but that's everywhere nowadays).
PS2: we didn't use any breakfast as there's a Starbucks on the corner and we like to sleep rather late :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank redband_bussum
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed for a week- end in this hotel.We reserved a triple room.The room was big.Bathroom was clean but slightly outdated.Linen was clean.Rooms have air con.Staff are very friendly.
You have to climb one floor to get to the lift so elderly or handicapped people may have some difficulty.There is a small lobby.Hotel is situated near the Opera.Street can be noisy but this is Paris.It is a good 2 star and at Euros 120.- for three excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank angelo65Geneva
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Perfect location - you will reach all the major attractions by foot. We bought a carnet (10tickets) for three of us and only used 6 tickets in 3 days. I have stayed in this hotel twice before, very good value for money. Clean and well equipped rooms. But not the biggest :). This time we stayed in the "studio"/2 rooms and bathroom. Basic but perfect for a party of three. Not suitable for people 65+ (steep stairs to 2nd floor and no lift). Two (foldable) beds in one of the rooms were really uncomfartable. Hope the owner can invest in better ones. But there is also a sofa that turns into a single bed. Perfectly comfy. V. nice and fresh bathroom with a funny sink! Perfect helpful staff. Missed some dairy products for breakfast. If you have troubles sleeping take your ear pluggs - the street is a living body in the night /not as bad as in Pigalle though :-) /. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends