“Two Splendid Hotels in Paris--BEWARE!!”
Review of Splendid Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Splendid Hotel
Ranked #1,373 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Nicholasville, Kentucky
“Two Splendid Hotels in Paris--BEWARE!!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

There are two Splendid Hotels in Paris. This thread is for the one at 54 Rue Fondary, which is no where near the Eiffel Tower. Many of the positive reviews are for the better class Splendid Hotel located at 29 Avenue de Tourville, which does have views of the Tower.

I unfortunately was traveling as part of a group which booked us at this ratty hotel (54 Rue Fondary). Although I usually stay in 4-5 star hotels, I knew that group travel arrangements would be at a more moderate hotel. However, I think the person who booked this hotel must have confused it with the other Splendid because it wasn't even a clean establishment.

Upon check-in, I had to remove the stained bedspreads due to the stench and stuff them in the armoire. A used wad of bathroom tissue was found disintegrating by the radiator. Even the common areas (stairs, hallways) were filthy and stained.

As for comfort, the linens were the worst I've ever experienced and there were no pillows on the bed -- just an odd neck roll somehow constructed out of the sheets. I'm fairly certain the hand towel in the bathroom was some sort of miniature rug.

Room keys were attached to a giant buoy-looking device which you were expected to leave in the cubby-hole behind the desk whenever you left (which means anyone had access to your room and your belongings). The maid looked like a gypsy. Need I go on?

I imagine the disgruntled Indian family who run this place survive via confusion with Paris's other Splendid hotel. No one in their right mind would stay at this dirty hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JenLee02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a 2 star hotel with a similar name, not far away on Rue Fondary, just off Rue Commerce next to the Emile Zola metro station. It is definitely a two star hotel - small room, old / worn bed and needs redecorating, however it is clean and a lot cheaper than many other Parisian hotels and you get what you pay for! It is on a quiet street and also in a good location within easy walking distance of the Eiffel tower, Les Invalides and the Musee d'Orsay and, as it is less than five minutes' walk to Metro stop La Motte-Piquet Grenelle, is well connected and easy to get to. The streets round about have a nice atmosphere and lots of shops and there is a fantastic restaurant just round the corner - Cafe du Commerce - which is definitely worth a visit.
We turned up at the wrong Hotel Splendid, having booked at this one (the other one does look nicer) and be warned - some other travellers have posted up photos here which are definitely of the other hotel Splendid!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edinburger_11
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My father and I were in Paris for one night, and we had originally booked another hotel (Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche) and upon arrival we were told that there had been a leak and a bunch of the rooms were out of use. We were kind of pissed off that they couldn't have let us know before hand, but they sent us to this hotel. (We told them that they should pay the taxi fair to this hotel, and well, you know the french, they don't listen to americans, so that was a little hassle. The taxi driver was pissed off when we didn't pay and he didn't understand that he should go and have the other hotel pay.) Anyway, we weren't looking for anything fancy, but this hotel was definitely a downgrade from the one we booked, and I probably would never have booked it in the first place. But we were already there and needed a place to stay and it was in the same area, so I sucked it up for one night. But it was like jumping back to 1995, and it still would have been old. And disgusting. The beds were horrible and all the linen, the bathroom was pretty clean but I couldn't imagine using the towels there, and I slept in so many clothes because I didn't want the sheets to touch my bare skin. We were on the second floor with windows facing the street and I just saw the Subway restaurant across the street. The windows were typical cute french windows that you could open like balcony doors, but again, you know the french, everything stinks of smoke there, so it didn't really help. The computer downstairs just froze and took all my money. We didn't have a flight the next day until late in the evening and we asked to store our bags, and they told us to put them in the sitting area in the lobby!!! I couldn't believe it. Luckily I didn't have anything valuable, otherwise I would have had to drag my suitcase through the whole city. Completely unacceptable. But thankfully they weren't stolen.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tha50

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed for a week at this hotel, where one room we had had views of the Eiffel Tower - which we kept checking each night before bed!! Love the light shows! Woken up each morning to the smell of freshly baked croissants...what a great way to start your days in Paris!! Handy to several Metro stops, so you can go just about anywhere! Lots of local shops, as it is not a real touristy area, great for getting your own croissants, etc
Breakfast is extra, but noticed a few people went and got their own in the mornings!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Pros:
concierge - very helpful, avail 24 hours, fluent & excellent Enlgish
near the Eiffel Tower about 15-20 minute walk
Cons:
small room, smaller than typicall Europe rooms
outdated
hard & uncomfortable bed

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 10, 2010

From reading the reviews below a lot of people probably mistake this from the other one where we stayed at. I thought it would help if I let you know that the Splendid Tour Eiffel we stayed at was just a gem. This one, not sure, but the pictures are the same as the other one. WEIRD. Anyways, check out the other one. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank berneezy
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2009

The hotel was really amazing. They concierge was always there and willing to help. Not to mention, their English excellent, which was really a plus for us. The location really was within a 15 minute walk to be under the Eiffel tower, perfect for those who are thinking about a romantic dinner picnic in the park. The bed was plenty comfortable, and the room was a better size than any that I've stayed in in Europe. Although, granted this was the most expensive hotel we've stayed in. There is a small mini fridge, fine for holding a couple of snacks. The bathroom was an amazing size, almost as large as a typical American hotel bathroom. Great water pressure (for those who care). We didn't have a balcony however we did have a view of the Eiffel Tower from our room. It was a little hot at night but perfect if you just opened on of the windows which gives the nice Paris sound effects. Overall we didn't have a single problem with the hotel and the staff.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple