“GOOD ENOUGH FOR JAMES BOND”

Mercure Paris Terminus Nord
Ranked #1,141 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“GOOD ENOUGH FOR JAMES BOND”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Superbly located opposite the Gare du Nord, this Mercure was James Bond's favourite hotel (as mentioned in the short story in For Your Eyes Only). OK James Bond was fictional but this Mercure is smart, and very well managed. The joy of being able to get off Eurostar and walk 2 minutes to the hotel takes all the hassle out of arriving in Paris, no queuing for taxis, no struggling with luggage through Metro ticket barriers. The rooms are smart and recently refurbished, the sound proofing good. The buffet breakfast is extremely generous, and will appeal to all tastes.

The hotel is also great in terms of access to transport, taxis, metro, rail or buses. The Paris bus system is really worth learning, a much more pleasureable way of getting round the city than cooped up in the metro, good though that is. On a bus you have all the views, all the character of this wonderful city. Worth remembering that you can use a single bus ticket, within a limited period, for two different bus lines.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gerard85
Mercuretenor, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

I highly appreciated your comments and I look forward to welcome you soon again at the Mercure Paris Terminus Nord.
Do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to have the opportunity to offer you a Martini "shaken, not stirred".....

Kind regards

Alessandra Nanni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
vicenza
Reviewed July 9, 2012

if you are looking work hotel because you have to take train and tube with short time...is perfect......get out from the door hotel and you have all.....
if you are looking for family trip or holiday trip wuth friend....no...you can find in pasris some cheap hotel with a funny night position(also more safe)
i mean...no dangerous...but all know how is it the station area...
anyway..the hotel is clean...the room also are ok.....the bathroom is little beat old...... breakfast nothing special but you find all(sweet and salty)
the deskopoint is not so fast!!!dipend who is the man at the back!!!!!thats all falks best alex

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your sincere and positive feedback. I am happy that you enjoyed our location and that you underlined that it is not a dangerous area because I could not agree more.

I am delighted that you appreciated our standards of cleanliness, although I regret that you did not find our breakfast that special since a lot of efforts has gone into it thanks to previous feedback from our guests and we have even included an “organic breakfast corner”.

I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel in the near future.

Hunstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had an extremely good four-night stay at this hotel. It appears to be undergoing a period of redecoration at the moment. The carpet on the staircase badly needs replacing and spoils an otherwise good impression. A panel in the revolving door was cracked - but this was replaced by the time we had left the hotel. Our room was very comfortable and overlooked the Gare du Nord Station. The noise of station life was very evident as would be expected at a hotel in this location. However once the doors to the balcony (we were on the fifth floor) were closed there was complete silence. The air conditioning was not terribly good but kept the room reasonibly cool. The beds were exceptionally comforable.

We stayed at the Terminus Nord from Monday, 7th to Friday 11th July 2012. There was some evidence of the grandeur of the old hotel, including a nice stained glass window in the foyer. The lovely clock was not working. The reception staff were very charming, friendly and helpful. The barman - (Jon? from Sweden) was exceptionally good at his job - he was friendly and made you feel that you were his only customer. He even remembered what drinks we had ordered the previous night.(NB Most of the seats in the bar were very uncomfotable and urgently need replacing)

Some of the cleaning staff let the team down. One person - who was hoovering the stairs as we came down turned away as I said hello and made no attempt to move the trailing wires to his hoover. The bag check-in person, similairly was unsmiling and surly. I would suggest that this group of staff do not feel included in the team and should undergo additional training.

I would most certainly recommend this hotel. We will definitly be returing to the Terminus Nord.

Room Tip: We were given a choice of rooms at the reception. We chose one on the fifth floor - which seemed to...
1 Thank Mick M
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to answer to your recent feedback and I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much to the point of saying that it was “extremely good”.

I am particularly happy that you found that there was complete silence when you closed the windows; believe it or not, not everyone agrees with you, which I’ve always found hard to believe.

We are trying very hard to restore the original “grandeur”, as you put it, into the hotel. The process is long and challenging at times but it is definitely worth it. I will certainly pass on your kind comments regarding our reception staff and particularly your compliments on Jonas, our Swedish barman.

I thank you for pointing out the members of staff who were not up to your expectations and let you down in comparison to the rest of the staff because, as you mentioned, this gives us a great excuse to focus on the “on the job” training.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and please do let me know in advance when you plan to come back.

canberra
Reviewed July 7, 2012

A basically good room and helpful staff spoilt by an extremely unclean bathroom in need of a serious upgrade. Carpet was filthy. Now we will talk about the bed. Plastic undercover sheet and grease stained duvet cover added nothing to the room. If location is your priority (next to Paris du Nord) then stay here, otherwise go elsewhere.

1 Thank ostravellerCanberra
Dear Guest,

Your review concerns me a great deal since the cleaning standards of the room and the bathroom in particular are paramount for us. I will certainly look into this matter with our housekeeping department. Nevertheless, I am happy that you found our staff to be helpful and I hope that you will give us a second chance to make up for our shortcomings on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you choose to do so.

Alessandra Nanni

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Single room was fine for one night, nice decor, though the bathroom was "tired" and in need of refurbishment and better ventilation.

There are many rooms on each floor and it is a bit like a maze to get around.

Breakfast was good though strange nobody took a room number when you enter - then they ask you to be honest when checking out (yes I was)!

Location is excellent if you need to be near Gare du Nord, though make sure you book through a site/agency that gives you a good price, the "rack rate" for the hotel was more than 500 euros per night.

PS ignore the swimming pool rating given- tripadvisor forces me to enter one but I don't even know if the hotel has a pool

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am happy that you enjoyed our décor and breakfast and that the location was ideal for you.

Regarding the “rack rate” that you mentioned, please be advised that we are obliged by French law to display the highest possible rate of the most expensive room that could be sold at some point during the year. This does not mean that this is the current selling rate and, in fact, right next to that figure we display the daily rate. This rate naturally changes according to the periods and specific demand dates.

Moreover, I can assure you that you will always find the lowest rate in our Accor.com and Mercure.com websites and that you will not find any lower rate in any online site or agency.

This is a promise that we make to all our customers.

Thanks for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you soon again at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord.

Alessandra Nanni

PS Although we have some larger bathtubs in some rooms, I am afraid, as you correctly guessed, that we do not have a swimming pool in the hotel.
Cork
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Easy acsess to Eurostar and Stade De France was reason I choose to stay here. Its directly across the road from Gare Du Nord Station. Was undergoing some works when I stayed. There was an overpowering smell of paint in the corridors all the signs for direction to rooms/lifts/stairs were on the ground not exactly ideal if you needed to exit in emergency. Room was fine and spacious which surprised me but unfortunetly the noise from a very busy throughfare outside prevented a decent nights sleep.

Room Tip: Something not facing Gare Du Nord station.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are undergoing some paintworks in our corridors as you correctly pointed out. The signage may have been down for some time whilst that specific area needed to be painted but certainly do not wish to neglect our clients’ safety which is of the utmost importance for us.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and regret the fact that the noise from outside disturbed your sleep. Nevertheless the word “thoroughfare” if that is what you meant, could imply that we are in front of a very busy multi-lane highway and I would like to clarify that this is not the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back and do not hesitate to ask for a quiet room in your next reservation.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have given this hotel 1 star for its close proximity to the Gare du Nord. This hotel is in dire need of refurbishment. The carpets throughout the hotel are worn, the one in my room was also badly stained (as was the sink). The room was otherwise clean but the shower doors didn't shut.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ADBNorthampton
Dear Client,

As mentioned by several guests, we are undergoing some renovation works which will attempt to cover all areas where an upgrade is needed. I am happy that you were content with the cleaning standards and we will certainly look into the issue of the malfunction of the shower doors.

I look forward to welcoming you back in order to gain, perhaps, a few more stars from your next review.