“Versailles day tour with 3 year old”
Review of Bike About Tours

and up
Hidden Paris: Day Bike Tour
Ranked #3 of 144 Outdoor Activities in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike About Tours is a small, grassroots bike tour company with tours in Paris, Versailles, and the Champagne region. Our Paris bike tours focus on the charming back streets & local neighborhoods of the city- in small groups. Our Versailles bike tour explores the legendary city of Versailles through Versailles' many cycle paths & forest trails from the Chateau itself to the hamlet of Marie-Antoinette. After a short train ride from Paris, our Champagne bike tour takes you through vineyard trails, local cellars and some of France best Champagne. Paris, Versailles & Champagne have truly become biking cities, and tours follow carefully planned routes. The Bike About team is here to share their local secrets with you, so come see what everybody has been talking about!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Geneva, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Versailles day tour with 3 year old”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had compared Fat Bike tour and this one. We were travelling with our son 3years of age and so I checked for the price of the day tour to Versailles. Fat Bike, stated all 3 need to pay 85€ and concession for my son was a mere 12€!!!
So I called Bike About, and they instantly said that my son being only 3 was not included for payment and charged him 30€. I booked the tour thus for 2 adults and stated in Comments section that my child would travel with us (to arrange the bike seat). Do not bring child poussettes for the tour.
At the meeting place of Notre Dame, the guides arrived on schedule handed us the ticket to Versailles and the return one too. we then headed straight to the RER.
We had a tough start though as our little son chose the perfect time to want to answer nature's call, just as we mounted the train to Versailles. With all the stress he was into, we had even wanted to call off the tour. But one of the guides David, was very kind and helpful and thanks to him we finally saw Versailles!
My son loved the bike ride. they do not have bike traillers so its difficult when the child falls asleep. I luckily had a child harness so i tied him to the bike seat. It is difficult to travel with a child I admit. We had to stop many times and so our group members too. The trip is perfect without toddlers I would say, as we frequently needed to stop. I even missed a visit to one of the chateux as my son was sleeping on the bike. the Bike seat was not too comfortable but otherwise its ok. Scope for improvement would be to enhance the experience for travel wit a child, eg better seats with holders or probably child traillers which are not avialable at present etc.
The entry into the palace of Versailles is exhausting as one needs to stand in queque for hours! So some child activity needs to be planned else children grow restless. Moreover, due to being short on time and having to stick to schedule, no one could complete the palace tour (right at end of tour) at leisure pace. So we almost could not use the audio guide provided. There are only 1 or 2 breaks for visiting the loo. Lunch is around 2pm almost. So again with children its difficult as for the tour we meet at 8.30am!
The guides are very friendly and speak good english. Information of the palces on the route of the tour is not provided. so if you pass a building and want to know more you dont have it. guide was otherwise ok.
Overall was a nice first time experience and I would travel again with them.

1 Thank pris10
bikeaboutparis, Owner at Bike About Tours, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your Bike About Versailles experience. I hope a few Trip Advisor readers will gather some useful information from your experience traveling with a 3 year old. We are happy your son enjoyed traveling by bike during the day. I can imagine that it would be quite a daunting day trying to walk the massive grounds & gardens with a toddler.
In saying that though we do think that perhaps our tour is geared towards families with slightly older children who dont need child seats, as they always enjoy the actual riding not to mention the fun, interactive style of our tour.

We made sure to make a special effort for you and your family (and you special circumstances with your 3 year old and I know David was very kind and patient ) so you could experience Versailles on a bike with the rest of the adult group. You seemed disappointed that we included 3-4 toilet stops, but I am sure you now understand it is a bit difficult to stop every 10 minutes while on a tour.

Just a couple of things to point out though from your review that were inaccurate: Firstly, we start the tour a 9am (not 8:30 as you stated). Secondly, our guides give heaps of information on everything you see and encounter in Versailles- and we always encourage questions if you missed out on something (I know I'm always distracted with my toddler especially when we travel ).

Thanks once again for your detailed review and safe travels.

Kindest regards,

Paul

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Hollola, Finland
“Enjoy and relax in Paris”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is absolutely the best and relaxing way to see Paris. We saw many aerias that are too difficult for turist buses. Cycling was safe, actually after this tour, we were brave enough to hire a city bikes for the rest of the day.

Paris, France
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Having decided to go to Versailles we found information on line about this bike tour of the area. We had a great day with a relaxed group and a knowledgable guide happy to share interesting facts about this period in French history. We were able to see so much by touring on the bikes. Our day was such a success we joined the Bike About Tour guide for a ride around Paris the following day. We were shown some areas we wouldn't have found on our own as well a ride along the Seine and a stop for coffee and a crepe. We would definately recommend these tours as a great way to see these cities.

Columbus, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Must and great way to spend four hours in Paris - newbies and veterans alike”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We met our Guide, Kim, at the base of the Notre Dame. after a short walk to pick up the bikes, we began our four-hour, or so, route. We were a group of 11. Perfect size for a tour. We saw interesting places on the way. The pace was pleasant, with many stops on the way. I was initially afraid because those small wheels that I usually attach to my back wheel at home were not available. But, i was surprised to be able to pedal without their assistance. I can finally get rid of them after all these years….It was a chilly day, perfect weather for the tour, though. Kim was patient and thorough. We stopped for a lunch in the Latin Quarter at a yummy sandwich place, with many other restaurants around us. Overall, a highly recommended way to see some of Paris' landmarks and hidden gems. Enjoyed all aspects of the tour.

1 Thank Prozach
Jacksonville, Florida
“Fantastic tour”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Kim was fantastic! The weather was not great, but the bike was easy and ride enjoyable. We loved learning little secrets about the city, not just facts from centuries ago. Paris has plenty of that! But we will remember things like the cannonball and the spaced invaders for much longer.