“A good sleep in Paris”

Ranked #749 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Gencay, France
“A good sleep in Paris”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel is nothing special, I believe that Accor only bought it recently and have had everything redone but keeping the originall layout, the difference is in the calm that the rooms offer.
I have stayed her at least 20 nights this year and the service is polite and friendly each time.
The rooms toward the back are very quiet but the position of the hotel permits you to sleep well all over. The beds are great, hard matresses, the bathrooms were all re-done recently, so it's a fine place for somebody who needs a good sleep and a smiling face to say good evening while doing business in Paris.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank lcg09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here while attending a training course for a couple of nights and was very happy with the quality of the hotel. It's a relatively short walk from the Bastille and about 15mins from Gare De Lyon so from a location perspective is great. The area is good, felt safe and as Paris has an excellent metro system you can get around with great ease.

The hotel has recently been taken over and rebranded as a Mercure. The rooms have been refurbished with quality materials, the staff are friendly & helpful with good English if your French is not up to scratch. Breakfast was also good once you find the stairs (to the right of reception) that give access to the basement.

I would happily recommend this for a city break. A good example of the Mercure brand.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank markyboy72
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Good location, nearest metro ( Ledru-Rollin ) 3 mins walk away.Rooms were clean and comfortable and being off the main street it was very quiet as well. Friendly staff without being overfamiliar.We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the quality or the service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
tatouage
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We thought the personnel were the best part of our stay. Kind, friendly, smiling and professional. All except one. We didn't manage to get her name, but I remembered it looked like a Polish or Eastern European surname. She was knowledgeable in her job, but had very bad guest relation skills. She made us feel like school children answering to a school inspector.

Otherwise we loved our stay there. The location was good, about 6 minutes walk to Gare de Lyon. The signage could have been better, though.

We got the newly renovated roomon the 4th floor. We actually had the privilege of choosing our room since we needed to have an extra bed for our 6-year-old. The bathroom was good, although the toilet was in a separate cubicle. Toilet articles were replenished and towels changed daily.

The room was quiet and had tea/coffee facility. There wasn't any worktop, so I wouldn't recommend this hotel to business travellers.

We didn't use the rooftop terrasse as it was early spring and was still a little chilly. We loved the breakfast room and the sweet girl who served our breakfast. She remembered our choices the next day. Excellent :o) She kept the buffet neat and clean. Breakfast was the usual baguette, croissant, cold cuts cereals. But we loved the variety of yoghurts, marmelades/jams and teas.

All in all a great stay, all thanks to the personnel (except the PMS-ing "school inspector"). We have already recommended this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tatouage
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel is very easy to get to from the nearby metro line 8 stop at Ledru Rollin , and also easy to acess from Gare Du Lyon (with the aid of a Google map).

As we had arrived before check in time after an overnight flight we wanted to get a bit of sleep and were given a nice room which unfortunately happened to be next door to a room which was getting renovated (loud banging and drilling) which made resting impossible. However we were given an alternative room well away from the noise.

The renovated rooms are very nice and well furnished, with modern bathrooms, although its a bit of a high step up into the bath/ shower.

The room looks onto a very quiet side street, with a VERY attractive small modern office building opposite, and a nearby small park. the large sliding windows are huge, and the curtains are of the black out type which are helpful in allowing for as many hours of sleep that you might need.

The flat screen wall mounted TV has a few English channels as well as many French ones, and there is a small electric kettle and cups to brew up a bevvy or two of the provided coffee and tea (replacement supplies were a little haphazard though!!)

I hope the corridors and small lift will be included in the renovation, since they are currently painted in darkest brown, whcih gives the hallways a very dark depressing feel.

A very nice hotel in general, but which could be made even better with a lick or two of bright paint.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the renovations (if they are not completed)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My daughter and I spend eight nights at this small hotel two blocks from the Ledru Rollin metro stop, near Bastille. While the hotel bathrooms are currently being remodeled, meaning there was some (but not a terrible amount) of construction noise during our stay, our room had already been done. The new bathroom and shower were quite nice! Also, new furnishings which were quite attractive had been added in the bedroom. The room had a slightly unusual layout (at least by American hotel standards) which we found convenient. It had a small "entrance hall" with separate rooms off it for the toilet and for the bathroom with sink and shower. There was also a built-in armoire or small closet in this hallway. There was then a door to the bedroom, which was small but well laid-out. We had two twin beds which were made up separately but pushed together, two small end tables, another small table with electric hot water kettle and coffee supplies, and finally two nice-looking chairs and a small round table. The room had excellent black-out curtains, so you can sleep during the day. The window is actually a sliding glass door, and while there is no balcony, just a railing, this allowed plenty of fresh air. The window looked out onto a small walkway, some green space, and the funky office building next door. The wall-mounted flat screen television got several channels in English--CNN International, MSNBC for business news, and BBC, as well as stations in French and a couple of other languages. The beds had nice, heavy duvets covered in white. No top sheet was provided (apparently this is European custom). There was a brown velvet coverlet folded at the bottom of the bed, and an extra blanket in the armoire. Bottom sheets and pillow cases for both the standard pillows and the European square pillows were all white. Our room was made up daily, although I don't think they ever changed the sheets during our eight days, despite my request to do so after 6 nights. Housekeeping was inobtrusive and didn't bother us if we slept late--probably because the front desk collects your room key each time you leave the hotel, and that allows the housekeepers to know when you are out and make up your room at that time. We occasionally heard a vacuum cleaner in another room in the mornings, but there wasn't the usual slamming of doors or loud conversation in the hallways that happens with housekeeping in some hotels. The front desk and lobby area are small and quiet. One to two desk personnel were on duty at any given time, most of whom were cordial but not particularly helpful. When I arrived just after two p.m., my room was not ready (which it should have been) and I had to sit in the lobby with my bags and wait (since I had been quite ill on the plane and only wanted to lie down and rest). I did ask for, and was given, a bottle of mineral water, which I wasn't charged for. Once I was given my key a short time later, no one offered to help with my three large bags, so I had to struggle to take them upstairs myself in the quite small elevator. Even though it is small, though, we only once encountered other guests using the elevator at the same time we were, so it wasn't much of a problem. There is a small "bar" in the lobby, but I honestly did not see anyone using it. They don't have an automatic ice maker of any sort, and Parisians are not big on ice anyway, but the one charming night reception agent very helpfully provided me with a big glass of ice to take up to my room when I requested it. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this small, quiet, well-decorated hotel with newly remodeled bathrooms. The walls and doors are not new--simply repainted--and the carpet may be slightly older, but the new furniture, tile, sinks, toilets, and shower were much appreciated. We would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room which has been remodeled.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank coltranemonet
Mathieu C, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Bastille Saint Antoine, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear guest,
Thanks a lot for taking time to give us your opinion about your stay.
I've well noted all the details given on the message below, and will survey hardly all the negative points.
Bathrooms we be fully renovated till the end of june 2012.
NEW : A "Privilège room" will be created during summer 2012 (including additionnal services: wrapping matress (sleeping confort), an Iphone station, Nespresso machine, tea & coffee facilities, mini-bar with free soft drinks, individual terrasse, and many others items in the bathrooms...
We'll be very pleased to welcome you back during your next stay in Paris,
Yours sincerely,
M Chaigneau
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I cannot actually comment on the quality of the property since I never got to stay there...had a pre-paid booking, turned up at 10am on the day of arrivals, rooms not ready - ok, this is more than normal. When leaving our luggage and stating that we would return later that night we were told that this did not present a problem since there was a 24 hrs reception. When returning at approx midnight, the hotel had obviously been overbooked and admitted as much and rebooked us into the Mercure ST Lazare station. This was pathetic treatment for a prepaid rooms and checked in customers, only to be topped when the hotel then double charged for this booking - poor service, staff at reception that were obviously not trained for these situation.
Overall, the area of hotel location is great - wish I could have stayed there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Eva S
Dear Madam,
First of all, I do apologize again (to you and your collegue) regarding your bad experience you had with the "missed check in" in our hotel.
I know that, unfortunately, you couldn't stay here due to a simple reason (not an excuse...) :
we didn't do our job as we are used to !!! ... and be sure that I'm not satisfiyed too.
I'm not happy not to be able to welcome all the guests that are trusting in Mercure Paris Bastille Saint Antoine.
Please apologize again and again...
Best Regards