“Wouldn't recommend it but not too bad.”
Review of Hotel Angleterre

Hotel Angleterre
Ranked #1,555 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't recommend it but not too bad.”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel was clean and comfortable but our encounters with staff were mixed. They were incredibly slow at sorting out our group booking of 24 people so that when we arrived at 10pm we had to arrange it ourselves there and then even though it had been booked for months. They also refused to let us go to bed without paying even though they were charging the wrong amount. Although eventually they did consent to our sorting it out in the morning it was a very stressful experience that we could have done without. Nevertheless they were all very kind and pleasant for the rest of the stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liz S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I'm a budget traveler and roll with the punches just for a place to sleep, but this place was so bad, I did something unheard of. I walked away from my prepaid reservation and found another place to stay at great expense. I was simply not going to put my family through that. The place has a feel of a "rent by the hour" motel. Not clean. Their website photos are false advertising. The raw floorboards were only missing the chalk layout of a dead body.

The only people I could see staying in a place like this are poor, MALE backpackers who don't have a care in the world.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve M

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Tatty but clean basic hotel good for a place to sleep but nothing else. Good location close to tube and gare du nord. Rough and ready location beware the street traders and pickpockets at tube station... Quite intimidating....

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Clareabelle80
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My husband, my teenage daughter and I spent two weeks traveling in France, Spain, and Portugal. We booked Hotel Angleterre for our last two nights of the trip, and seriously regretted it. Believe the bad reviews!! This place is run on a shoe-string budget and with zero effort. It was smelly, unclean, we encountered two soiled mattresses lining the wall of the third floor, which remained in place for the two terrible days and nights we were there. The sheets were stained; when I requested an extra pillow, they did not have a clean pillow case for it, although two different desk clerks searched for one! My husband went down for the two mornings in a row we were there to request coffee - as was supposed to be included in our room price - and each time was told the coffee machine was broken. This place is dirty, shabby, poorly run, and a thoroughly unpleasant place to stay. We stayed at numerous budget hotels throughout our trip, and all others were clean and comfortable, with extra pillows, enough soap, clean bedding, and more than decent breakfast. THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY and the owners do not care at all about their guests.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank islandgal52
Helsinki
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I was in Paris with my husband in August 2010. We stayed again at Hotel Angleterre, although here are quite many opinions that are not so satisfied. Those kind of ratings have no meaning for me. I like this simple Hotel and this staying was already my second time during the summer 2010. The location of the Hotel is just excellet! You can walk to Montmartre, Sacre Couer, Gare du Nord, to the Cafe of Amelie (everybody knows that excellent film), Moulin Rouge etc. The cheap department store "Tati" is situated very near by this Hotel and you could find very interesting shoppings there. For me this hotel is ok and it is interesting to find out how different kinds of feelings people have towards this Angleterre Hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank aleksandrahelsinki
London
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Ok, there are hotels and hotels... this should not be called a hotel! if they changed to B&B would be much better so that people knew b4 arriving.

The guy in reception was one of the nicest receptionist I have seen in a long long time... could not speak much english but done his best and was very pleasant giving me a load of maps.

we got a triple room, when we got to the room a bit of a unpleasant surprise. it used to be a double (they havent even removed the boards from the wall) only took the bouble bed out and put 3 single beds.

TV had only one chanel and in french but no remote control to put volume up or down....

Toilett was Very clean

but the hotel really needs new stuff, ie bed sheets as even tho they were clean I could tell that they were veryyyyyyyyyyyyy old.

it doesnt cost much to have a bit of paint put on the walls and some new bed sheets put in.

CONCLUSION: if you are travelling on a budget and only want a clean bed to sleep. it is ok

If thinking to spent more than 2 nights in the "hotel" maybe think again.

good points... walking distance from tube station, sacre coure, Gare du nord, a load of gift shops. and right oposite there is a sort of budget shopping center where you can buy a load of basics for a couple of euros.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MyselfLondonLondon
Reviewed February 4, 2011

The most terrible place I ever seen. Really impolite doorman, announced that he will close the door shut at 1am. We were back at the hotel 10 minutes before that and the door was already closed. Luckily after few minutes banging on the door (no bell) we were let in.

Totally dirty place, dirty sheets - didnt undress. There was no heating while it was -10 outside on the street. Just not worth the money at all...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple