“All we needed in a hotel”
Review of Hotel Alexandrie

Hotel Alexandrie
Ranked #973 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights booked at the last minute for a weekend break in Paris. The hotel was very easy to get to, being half way between Bastille and Gare de Lyon and we checked in without any fuss.

Room was a decent size (you could walk around the bed and everything!) bed comfortable and it was clean. The bathroom was pretty standard as well, only criticism being that the door handle kept falling off and the door didn't shut fully (probably lucky considering the handle). We didn't report this to management. Oh and the shower wasn't attached to the wall, so you have to hold it (though had screws in wall as if it used to be?). Walls were a tad thin, and if I spoke French, could have understood the conversation next door.

Location is quite good, Bastille is fun and there's two lively markets nearby on Tuesdays and Sundays which we enjoyed. It's a slight walk to town (maybe 20-30 min), but there are plently of buses and trains if your not being cheapskates like us.

Hotel staff were all helpful, spoke good english to make up for my poor french and were happy to look after our bags after we'd checked out before our evening train. Overall, we just needed somewhere to sleep wash etc and Hotel Alexandrie was perfect for this. It was clean, comfortable, in a good location and with friendly staff at reasonable rates.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jonathan D

Reviewed December 31, 2009

Ok, so we booked this at two weeks notice over new year when there wasn't any availability at nicer boutique hotels in this kind of price range. Also, because it was new year, we ended up paying €440 for three nights which really felt like a lot but at two weeks notice over new year can you really complain about that?

The hotel is on a small side-street that's lined with cheap hotels. I wonder how most of these are booked since they don't show up on the booking engines. It is therefore quiet. Our room was at the back of the hotel and was exceptionally quiet. I slept later than at home. The location is good between the Gare de Lyon and the Bastille with cheap eats within two minutes walk and better places 15 minutes away in Marais.

The comments about the wafer-thin walls are, however, true and anyone walking down the corridor or entering their room next door would rattle round our room like they were there with us.

So, what did we get? The room is a standard size for a Paris hotel room (ie small) and the double bed also felt small. But we fitted in it. The room and bathroom were clean. Curious rusty orange colour painted on the walls that made it feel more enclosed and dull than it actually was. If we'd paid €55-€65 a night I'd have been happy.

The wifi was free and worked perfectly. There was a new LG widescreen TV on the wall with digital TV channels for ghost-free picture quality. Staff were friendly on the front desk but we didn't need them for much.

Interestingly, reviewers here do not seem to take the breakfast. We didn't either. There's a simple explanation for this. It runs from 6am-10.30am. About the time we were getting up. I'd have liked to try it but it just finished too early.

As for recommendations, I'm completely neutral. I'd stay again in these circumstances but would try to find somewhere a bit more characterful for this kind of money first.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard G
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Alexandrie (formerly Tonic Hotel) for 6 nights and had a lovely time. Madame Blot is a lovely lady and will answer any question you might have. Her staff is very courteous too. The hotel is on a quiet street off the busy rue de Lyon. It's a 3-minute walk to the Gare de Lyon and five minutes away from the Bastille area where there are lots of restaurants to choose from. It's my nth time in Paris, and Hotel Alexandrie is one of the nicest and most affordable hotel I've stayed at. Merci Madame Blot!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We arrived at 9.30 at night to a cold and wet Paris after travelling 24 hours from Australia. We had booked 2 rooms, one family room for my husband, me and 2 children and another for my parents. As we booked into reception the receptionist told us there had been a problem with water in our rooms and therefore they weren't available but they would put us up in their sister hotel the aurore just around the corner. He gave us directions to the aurore, but they were all wrong and my husband and I ended up walking all around the streets in the rain trying to find the hotel. Eventually after about 20 minutes we found it. The receptionist at the aurore then told us they had given our rooms to someone else. so we went back to the alexandrie and asked to see the water damaged rooms, but no, he didn't understand all of a sudden. so we went back to the aurore with my elderly parents and two children trudging through the rain with suitcases as bags to the aurore. We had to split up as there was no family room, so I had to sleep with one of our daughters in one room and my husband in another, on a different floor, with our other daughter. The next morning my husband and I went back to the alexandrie and spoke to Laurence the owner, he was very apologetic and said he had a party of american students in the hotel and they had turned up with a larger party than what had booked so he gave them our room,. He offered for us to stay at the aurore or her would change things around so we could have our family room, he also said if we had breakfast in the hotel he wouldn't charge us for the children. We opted to go back to the Alexandrie we all wanted to be in one room. That night while we were all asleep there was someone trying to get into our room and a lot of noise in the hallway, when I got up and told them to be quiet, turns out it was the students and no one had told them that they had moved all of there things to another room. The rest of the stay I am happy to say was uneventful, but not the start to our long anticipated European holiday we wanted.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Shazza042
Reviewed July 22, 2008

I was in Paris for three nights. Booked first at a three star (Duminy Vendome) for EUR 180. They ended up overbooked and sent me to a Mercure, right by the Printemps dept store. Second night I stayed with friends. Third night, I went to Alexandrie, booked at EUR 75. I typically try to stay at three star places such as Castex, for about EUR 120 and I was not too sure what to expect for such a low rate.

There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that Alexandrie is well worth the money, and next time, if I can't find a reasonable place in the EUR 110-130 range, I may well come back.

Sure it's basic, but it's clean, bathroom is OK, and once I found how to turn it on (which unfortunately only happened almost in the morning..) the air conditioning actually did work.

Location is actually not bad either.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bauwens
Reviewed September 23, 2007

I have stayed at the Tonic a couple of times. It is in a fantastic location, walking distance to Bastille and on the main tourist line. However, it should not be classed as 3 star, it is 2 star at best. The rooms are small, like mos Paris hotels and it is slightly run down. I would rcomend the Hotel Innova, only 2 star but should be 3, in the Montparnasses district, you cant go wrong

Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Although a very 'plain jane' look to the Alexandrie, the hotel is a tight ship. The front desk people were all very friendly and spoke english. The rooms were clean, air conditioned and the coffee in the morning was excellent. The bed & shower was a little small for my partner (6'2", 200lbs), but we managed.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)