“Value and Location”
Review of First Hotel

First Hotel
Ranked #262 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Myself and a friend stayed here recently for the Paris marathon. As such we were not looking for a hotel for 'typical' tourist reasons but more so one based on cost and proximity to the marathon start and finish. However, I would have no hesitation in either recommending it to friends or returning myself when visiting Paris.

The location is excellent. The hotel door is right in front of the Cambronne metro station on line 6, which goes directly to the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe. You can also walk to the Champs élysées via Champ de Mars, Eiffel Tower and the Seine in 30 or so minutes. There are a number of restaurants and bakeries surrounding the hotel.

The hotel itself is small, clean with modern decor albeit quiet basic. However, it has everything you need and the rooms are spacious by Paris standards... we asked for twin beds and there was actually a good inch between the beds! Most rooms also have a view of the Eiffel Tower with room on the top floors having a small balcony. The passing overground metro line and road traffic did not bother us in terms of noise.

The only negative aspect I can comment on was that our room was not cleaned when we returned on the Sunday at 5:30pm, only a minor inconvenience though. Given that it is a relatively small hotel I suspect that there is only one cleaner who starts on first and finishes on top floor; we were on the 5th floor.

Overall a reasonably priced hotel in a great location.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WhereverIMayRoam80
Valérie V, Responsable réception at First Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the First hotel in Paris.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay in Paris and we would we be happy to welcome you again next time!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Only stayed one night but would consider staying here again for longer. Decor of corridors takes a bit of getting used to - black,lights turn on as you walk past. Great location, right across road from Cambronne metro, good cafes close by for breakfast as breakfast is around 15 euro at hotel.
Not all our rooms were ready, arrived just before check in time. When we returned 3rd room was still not available even though it was after check in time.Reception staff organised a private van to take 4 of us to Gare du Nord which was cheaper than 2 taxis.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Likes:

Close to the Metro station Cambronne.

Lot's of restaurant's around the hotel. Loved the bakery right below the hotel had breakfast there every morning. Breakfast at the hotel is $15 euros nothing good. Cheaper to buy stuff from the bakery.

Loved the view from our room with the Eiffel Tower view.

Dislike:

Small rooms and tight bathroom. Toilet seat in our room was slanted to the right and my husband and I believed previous taller people were in our room and over time had to use toilet sitting sideways which caused seat to slant to the right. My husband is 6ft and could not sit str8 on the toilet his knees were touching the bathroom wall due to such small space. He also had to sit like the direction of the toilet slant.

No Paris attractions are close by they all need to be accessible by train for every attraction. Gare du Nord is a scary train station, try to avoid that train station. It was very scary. It is a pain to buy train tickets if you are staying at hotel for less than three days. It could get expensive and a pain in the butt too keep on having to purchase tickets to use the metro.

Every night it was noisy at the hotel. The car, trains, bus, motorcycles and taxis were loud passing by hotel. if you are there on the weekend there are a few bars and restaurants below the hotel. People are loud and stay out so late yelling, taxi and cars honking horns.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusieQRivers

Dear Customer,
Thank you for having taken the time to give us your views on your stay in our hotel.
They will encourage us to maintain our efforts so that the services we provide for you fully meet your expectations.
Looking forward to welcoming you shortly in our hotel.
Bénédicte Cahuzac

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel is just opposite the Metro station Cambronne, which is extremely convenient for travellers. The location is the selling point. For travellers who are looking for hotels in good location, modern decorations and clean rooms with budget, I recommend First Hotel. Although I need transfers to almost all the attractions, it did not take extra time and walk.
The room is modern decorated with black and white, which we loved it. The staff is helpful. We had breakfast every morning in the hotel, which is 15euro per person, however quite expensive, we enjoyed the relaxing morning time.
One night, we returned hotel after 12, the security locked the hotel door for safety, which made us feel safe staying in this hotel. And to be mentioned, the security guy is a very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Loved this hotel, the area was great, the staff were fantastic. So friendly and helpful. The rooms were gleaming and so comfortable. Loved the black and white decor and the lighting. Could not fault it in any way. It made our three day trip to Paris memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We really enjoyed our night at the First Hotel. We picked it primarily for it's location close to the Eiffel Tower but secondly because we liked the stylish, modern decor and the fact that it wasn't a chain hotel. The hotel was very easy to find (opposite the metro station Cambronne), the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely and we had a good view of the Eiffel Tower from our bed so after returning from a busy day sightseeing for a quiet night in with the children we could watch the hourly twinkly display on the Tower from the comfort of our bed! The kids really loved the black decor, soft fluffy carpet in the room and the lights that turned on as you walked out of the lift!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel is average. Nothing to write home about, however the potential is certainly there.

First, the hotel: Good location, not great. Directly across from the train which is super great if you use, I had found using taxis much more efficient than what I had read. Everywhere I wanted to go required transfers. I walked to the Eiffel Tower, not bad at all. A few restaurants in the area, enough to make it hard to choose. The bakery at the corner was great, must visit. The hotel is in good condition, modern and crisp. I loved the design. I upgraded to a room with a view of the tower and did love it very much. Bathroom was perfect and efficient. Again, really loved the design.

The Service: On arrival the staff was great. Friendly and nice. On check-out is was a little off-setting, and from I have read, I am not the only person who has had problems with billing. So with that said, BRING YOUR CONFIRMATION. Bring anything you can to prove what you have paid for. As a US citizen, we are accustomed to being innocent until proven guilty, however you must not forget that in Europe you are most likely guilty until proven innocent. That said, I had to prove what I had paid for to get a refund. Even having to send someone up to my room to retrieve my confirmation letter from the trash in the room. I also had to prove I was in the room I said I was as somebody else used my room number during breakfast…they definitely accuse you and you better have paperwork to back yourself up. And no, a confirmation I pulled up on my phone did not suffice. Bring all paperwork and good luck ;-)

All in all, I had a pleasant stay and would return if the price I paid (booked a last minute rate through the hotel website) is available again; would not pay more than I did.

Room Tip: Upgrade and get a room with a Eiffel Tower view. All rooms are small but comfortable.