L'Empire Paris
$423
$223
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
All reviewsnotre damegreat locationrue rivolifamily suiterooms are spaciousmodern hotelwithin walking distancecentral locationside streetmini barnice breakfastthe breakfast areaaround the cornermain attractionsdefinitely stay here againwould highly recommend this hotelperfect hotel
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked this hotel for a last minute work trip to Paris as my favorite hotel was booked. I was attracted to the photographs of the L'Empire hotel on their website - offering calm, modern and clean-line rooms. Worried the website may be mis-leading, I called the hotel prior to booking to be assured that the photos properly reflected the hotel design and room available. I was assured, by telephone, email and attached photos, that indeed the photos represented the room I would be staying in for the weekend.
Instead, and contrary to the personal assurances of the hotel staff, I was checked into "the Lady Gaga Style Room" upon arrival and informed "we are fully booked and there are no other rooms available." This "Lady Gaga Style Room" was like being at the circus - a bad circus. I was forced to endure a room with black (yes black) wallpaper, mirrors at every spare space reflecting the black paper, red strips of curtain to apparantly off-set the black and mirrors, and amidst this eye color dance, a back bedboard of a grey and black harlequin pattern supporting my clown/circus surroundings.
Had it not been 11 pm I would have left. The staff moved me to another room the following day (nearly the same as the photo sent with my hotel booking confirmation) to avoid my leaving the hotel.
I will never go back. Be careful and be warned.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Marie138
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The location is perfect, right in the middle of downtown Paris, walking distance to all central attractions. The room we stayed in was good, though not quite up to the quality that I would have expected for the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel staff were extremely helpful. One of our tours was cancelled and they helped resolving the situation. They made reservations for my lunch cruise and handled getting us a taxi. The only reason why I did not give them excellent was their restaraunt in my personal opinion it was not very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Very good position for walking Paris centre. Very close to metro station, just between the rue Royal and rue St Honore. Very close to Louvre. Nice breakfast, VERY attentive staff. Though the room was really small, it was cosy and clean. Free WiFi. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed as a family with 2 kids in late September 2012. To be very honest we chose this place because there was hardly anything else decent available in the whole central Paris. We wanted a room or a suite where we could all fit but sleep in different rooms. Luckily they had such room for us so we were happy to finally find a place to stay, however, the price was quite high.

Location
Near Louvre on Rue de Rivoli it is located fairly conveniently. Everything is about 7 min walk including nearest metro/RER station, Louvre, Cite (maybe slightly longer but still very manageable). Rue Saint Honore is next turn and is offering nice choice of café, restaurants, and shops, becomes main boutiques street after 10 min walk. It is an old district so you can expect nice architecture and a very nice ambience around.

Room
It is half-way to design hotel. At least some of the amenities are definitely there for beauty not for use. Light switches are not where you want them and they puzzled us initially by their operation. Sanitary equipment was not in good order. Toilet could not be used too frequently as it would not accumulate enough water in reasonable time. Bathroom tap was not broken but slightly worn out with some parts missing.
Otherwise the room was clean. Room cleaning service brought no issues. Wi-Fi was free, however, it was dropping signal all the time.
Our room windows were facing the street and as we are used to open them at night we had to survive through terrible noise made by construction site nearby, which apparently never stopped activity even at night. No one really made any note about this to us when we were booking or checking in but we are used to this kind of things in other places as well.

Other
Breakfast facility is not big enough. It is actually very small. If there are more then 10-15 people having breakfast at once you will not be having yours. We faced it at least once. We had to wait for at least 15-20 minutes and when we expressed our dissatisfaction with this issue we were grilled by the attendant at the facility that it was actually our own fault that we wanted a table for four and they never offered us any alternative. Otherwise the breakfast content was quite good with a very good choice of top class bread, croissants, meat, etc.
Reception was mostly helpful. We can only note that their choice of nearby restaurants was quite limited. It could be that there are just not many good family restaurants nearby though.
There is only one small lift so traffic jams are not unusual in the peak hour. It is essential as the hotel is very narrow but has many floors.

Overall
If not location it would be a pretty average experience. We think it deserves its place in Tripadvisor ranks. Not more not less. It is maybe OK for Paris but in European context it is not value for money.

Room Tip: Try avoiding rooms facing the street
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank A_plus_A