La Villa Paris
    • Pool
    Average 3/5
      • Pool
      • Restaurant
      All reviewsb bbus stopcroissantsboiled eggsbreakfast was deliciousbaguettequiet neighborhoodmin walkrer stationchamps elyseestourist sitesthree nightseasy accessa lovely stayquiet at nighteiffel towermarie
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed January 1, 2010

La Villa felt like our home away from home. Marie was fantastic - helpful, friendly and very accommodating. We could not have asked for a better end to our honeymoon or a better host. The free wifi and use of a laptop was also very handy.

La Villa is in a great neighbourhood - quiet, safe, friendly and a short walk to a variety of public transport options. Not to mention the bakery (boulangerie?) across the road and market stalls with fresh, delicious produce on the weekends. There are some lovely restaurants nearby but it is hard to beat the feast spread out at breakfast time. Absolutely delicious!

In short, La Villa is a wonderful place to stay and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
      2  Thank TravelBugz09
      Reviewed November 11, 2009

I personally choose La Villa for a recent weekend trip to Paris with my Mother. I was very excited that we had the opportunity to get a room on such short notice. My travel agent was very pleased about dealing with the management and this just made our expectancy go up.

The management obviously cares enough to attract customers by their website and by their great service. Marie was really great in telling us EVERYTHING that we had to know on how to get somewhere and where to eat just short of holding our hands and getting us there physically herself. This information was given to us first day and immediately and it was truly appreciated. Even though I have been to Paris I myself found her information to be very helpful.

The room is big enough for the both of us and they are modern and pretty and the bathroom is great! We had variety when it cames to channels and the view was very nice. The neighborhood that it is in is very safe and it is family oriented as there were tons of children coming and going. We felt safe even at 11 PM or later when we were out. We had the freedom to come and go as we pleased. There are grocery shops, bakeries and restaurants in the immediate area as well as within reasonable walking distance. The bus stop is right in front to get to the train station or to get to a site.

The B&B was comfortable and clean at first and the service is really great. The breakfast may have not been too varied from day to day HOWEVER it was certainly plentiful (abundant even) and you did have a lot of choices in the sense that you had fruit and cereal to breads and ham and cheese. It is just that pretty much every morning that was the selection fruit, cereal, breads and ham and cheese (the juices were delicious). However that is a very typical French Breakfast so this is not a complaint at all and for the amount no one in their right mind would complain. She even had water bottles available... bottled water! Marie was so great to actually get up earlier than usual to make us sandwiches before we left since we had a very early flight the last day and that was truly appreciated. We will never forget that. That is the hallmark of going the extra mile indeed.

The clientele that are attracted to this B&B seem to be the friendly adventure types which is very nice. It is a very quiet building and a very quiet neighborhood. I could go on and on how great this place is.

There were some negatives which I will point out below which is why I titled this great for short term stays.

Positives: Other than the ones stated above Marie spoke great English, it was very clear. She was very friendly and a conversationalist. She wanted us all to feel welcome. The room was big enough for the both of us and we were able to hang our clothes and spread our stuff around if need be. The bed was very comfortable and we had privacy by putting down a window thing which also was great to prevent light from coming in too early in the morning. We barely heard street noises during the night in fact it is possible there were no discernable street noises which was astonishing. Wireless access although we didnt bring laptops. She put a candle outside of aromatherapy or just to make the room smell nice. That was cute. Even though there were some negatives the garbage was taken out daily.

Negatives:
      - You have to ask for more toilet paper. There aren't really enough. In France because everything is expensive I know that toilet paper use is very restricted, however for a hotel type place there should have been perhaps more toilet paper especially if there was more than one person staying in the room.
      - No paper towels in case of spills or water or something
      - The bed was not made nor the sheets changed. We made the bed and tried to shake off the sheets, comforter to keep it clean
      - The toiletries were cute and nice and used however not replenished (not a major negative though) .
      - The glasses (drinking) that were in the bathroom were NOT cleaned OR changed during our entire stay which was a bit gross to my Mother.
      - We don't know, my Mother and I, if the bathroom was cleaned daily it seemed as if it wasn't.
      - We were told that we could get our own food and place it in the fridge in fact we had left overs and left it at the B&B for them to use and/or disposed of, however we were never told that we could have something from the fridge that was already there nor we were told that we had to pay for it if we did take something. Basically we werent told that the items in the fridge were available to us. We WERE told that we could have tea or coffee HOWEVER we were not told that we had to pay for it. I saw that on the paper in the room and by coincidence so we could have left the place without paying for tea or coffee although we didnt have tea nor coffee. It would have been nice though to be told to avoid any issues.
      - The most important one: The towels were not changed not even after the second full day. When we are traveling we usually take a shower in the morning and in the evening, however even if we only took one shower a day still we felt that the towels could have been changed at least by the second full day and change every second day. The price was excellent, however even so we felt because of the price and level of service that we saw, overall that the towels could have been changed OR we could have been asked if we needed the towels changed or provided with ways of asking for anything regarding the room including getting new towels as needed.

We don't know what the policy is on towel changing at La Villa, however if the policy is not to change the towel during the entire stay, then I STRONGLY recommend only staying very short term. After a while dingy used up towels will knock a lot of positivity out of one. Also the towel that was used on the floor when we came out of the shower was removed and never replaced so we had to use toilet paper (other reason why we had to ask for more) to dry water up so we wouldnt be walking in water
      - The towel warmer was turned off. Perhaps to save on electricity however it was put on to dry our towels since we were using them again and again.
      - The electricity went off seemingly several times while we were there (only once that we noticed while we were actually in the building). There was a question posed to us (which I am sure was posed to everyone) as to if we plugged anything etc. We didn't. We didnt wash our hair which was a good thing since we didnt have enough towels anyway and we didnt bring anything and even if we did there was no question if we needed converters. She mentioned that she had them when we told her that we had something but since we didnt bring converters we couldnt use them. We didnt think to ask though to be perfectly honest. In any case just look out if you are in the middle of something and need the light, it can go off and I guess beware of plugging anything then.

I hope my negatives doesn't completely dissuade you from going to La Villa if anything they are just cautionary comments to prepare you for the worst which in essence in comparison to the good balances itself out (a bit more tilted to the good if you have an adventurous nature). Being accustomed to hostels these things didnt bother me 100% however going with a family member or friend that is a bit picky these can be problems and it is best to know in advance so that way you have a strategy on how to deal with it.

We may not go back to La Villa even though it was lovely my Mother would prefer staying in a hotel, however if we ever do or this is a general advice: bring an extra towel. You can do laundry a few blocks away by the way. That is a plus too and there is a phone area right next door to make international calls! And they have computer for internet service too in that little shop.

Thanks for reading and I hope it is helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009
      9  Thank LolitaGirl
      lavillaparis, owner/manager at La Villa Paris, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

Dear Denise,

I am happy that your global opinion about your stay with us is very good. However, I understand now, reading your comments, that you were uncomfortable with some points :
      I feel I should clarify here the main ones :

As long as we have access to the room before 11 am,
      - bed is made every day, sheets are not changed every day (they are changed once for longer stay)
      - towels are changed every second day, more often if requested.

- coffee and tea, available in the kitchen, are free of charge
      - electrical adapters/converters are available on request
      - there is an hair dryer in each room

- electricity went off several times one morning as it took me a while to find out that
      we had a problem with the dishwasher. Problem was solved in the afternoon.

I am surprised that you did not ask me to have fresh towels. I believe it was the easiest way to solve this uncomfortable situation for you immediately.
      Anyway, thank you for your detailed feed back on your stay with us. I wish you many "very good" or "excellent" experiences while travelling with your mother.

Marie - Owner/manager of La Villa Paris

Reviewed October 29, 2009

What a find! Gorgeous little B&B with charming rooms, comfortable beds and outstanding service. The owners did everything they could to make our stay memorable. Nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was delicious ...varied, fresh and plenty of it. (Can still smell the delicious warm freshly baked pastries). Restaurant suggestions turned out to be better than the well known expensive ones. This little hotel is spick and span with heaps of atmosphere. This kind of level of accommodation usually comes with a huge price tag.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
      1  Thank IntrepidSydney
      Reviewed October 24, 2009

FUNtastic B&B. Highly recommeded! Will most definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
      Reviewed October 5, 2009

It is impossible not to like it here. Great host, with wonderful rooms and breakfast. It is close to transportation so it is not hard to travel anywhere in Paris. The other nice thing is Marie will recommend restaurants in the area, and I highly recommend Sauve (Vietnamese)--best Vietnamese food I have ever had. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious, especially for the value in Paris.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple