“My no-hotel experience”

Hotel Opera Marigny
Ranked #526 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was pretty excited about staying at this hotel after researching tons on internet, trivago, etc, etc. It just look so pictured-perfect, lovely rooms, all boutique-modern style, which I love, and a bonus: a couple of gym equipment for my daily exercise routine (a treat in Paris).
I arrived at 14:30 at the hotel and all I got was: there is a problem with your room and we have been allocating you to our sister hotel the Best Western Opal which is 10 minutes away walking distance. And this is for free.

What???? I already payed for the room. What you mean is that I dont have to pay extra, dont you? -Oh yes, the change is for free 9Lucky me, huh?). Truly disgraceful.

The hotel was ok, with a lovely personnel, but not as nice as the first one, no gym, not as cozy and luxurious, so I am truly mad about not been able to be there or been offered a hefty discount for been in an obviously cheaper hotel.

DISGRACEFUL.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Charlotte L
Mickaël Z, Front Office Manager at Hotel Opera Marigny, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Charlotte,

We sincerely regret that we could not accommodate you at our hotel despite your reservation. We would like to apologize for disappointing your expectations about our hotel and your stay.

We are also very upset that the staff member on duty that day may have given you the impression of not feeling concerned about this inconvenience.

It sometimes happens that a technical issue might prevent us to provide a guest with the room he or she would have booked. When such unpleasant situations occur – fortunately they very seldom do –, we make every effort to ensure that our guests can enjoy their stay in a neighbouring hotel with equivalent class and reputation.

This is the reason why we booked a room for you at Best Western Opal, which is also a 4 stars boutique hotel located in the Madeleine neighbourhood. Its ranking on TripAdvisor is approximately as good as ours. Furthermore, if you visit their official website or any online travel agency’s website like Booking or Expedia, you may notice that their rates are on average the same as Opera Marigny’s.

Your opinion on the other hotel being cheaper and less attractive than ours is probably due to your disappointment about the whole situation. We are sorry about this feeling (absolutely understandable by the way). We would have much more preferred to be able to meet your expectations.

We hope that someday we might be given the opportunity to welcome you again and to let you see our hotel’s true colours.

If you decide to book your next stay our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us directly, in order to take advantage on our best offers for frequent visitors.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

First time in Paris and what a great choice in hotels. Perfectly placed for shoppers, 5 mins walk to Grand Fayette and 10mins walk to the Champs Elysees. Then a Metro on your doorstep. The hotel itself was very clean, nice breakfast but the real stars are the staff, everyone was exceptionally pleasant and polite. Nothing was a trouble. Only negative, no slippers, gowns or coffe making in the room as stated, but this to me is minor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking into the alley. No view but very, very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steve w
Mickaël Z, Front Office Manager at Hotel Opera Marigny, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for this enthusiastic review and especially for the very kind words you wrote about our staff.

Actually tea and coffee making facilities, slippers and bathrobes are available upon request. We apologize for not mentioning that upon check-in, you may then have been able to require them to enjoy an even more pleasant stay.

We would be very pleased to welcome you again at our hotel.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just got back from 2 days in Paris. Hotel was in a good location and great base for sightseeing. Staff were very helpful. Great breakfast. Rooms lovely and very clean. My only complaint was booked a triple room and bed wasnt made up. When I eventually got the bed set up then had to find bedding. Receptionist provided me with a sheet and pillow !!!!! Wifi was also weak.

Room Tip: room 602 - quiet and lovely balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for spending some of your valuable time sharing your experience with us and with other TripAdvisor members.

We are very sorry about the trouble caused by the bedding incident. We usually are very attentive to our guests’ special requests, we are very sad that you had to experience this incident.

Our wireless network usually works fine nonetheless it is sometimes necessary to reboot our main rooter when connection happens to be too slow. It is obviously not our guests’ duty to know that but it is always recommendable to inform the front-desk staff about any internet issues – as well as about any other inconvenience you should to experience. Our team is well trained and always do their best to come back to you with a solution.

We are very glad to read that despite these issues your stay was all in all a good experience and would be happy of welcoming you again at our small boutique hotel.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I went there with my boyfriend it was the first trip for us .
Hotel was placed in Madaleine everything was close . I like the room just it was a little bit small ( but i think all the rooms in Paris are small )
The only thing that i dont like was the breakfast ,it was too poor .
Hotel was clean and

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for this kind review of yours.

We are very pleased to read that choosing our hotel for your first trip together with your boyfriend was a nice experience.

The size of our rooms is not our strongest point indeed and your guess is right: it is generally not the strongest point to most Parisian hotels. On the other hand, we rather count on a high quality of service to still be able to offer a great experience to all of our guests.

Obviously there are always things which can be improved and this is the reason why your remarks are so valuable to us. Regarding our breakfast offer, we have been making several efforts to make it richer and healthier. If you have any suggestions to help us making it even better, we would be glad and grateful to hear them.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Opera Marigny very soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great little boutique hotel, rooms were decorated nicely with a comfy bed. Staff were excellent very helpful and friendly. Very clean and bathroom was an ok size, there are many places to eat nearby and about a 5 minute walk to all the really nice shops and about a 10-15 minute walk to champs elysees. We caught the bus from CDG into opera and got a taxi as we weren't too sure where the hotel was however from the bus stop its about a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moonshine187069
MPeyrel, General Manager at Hotel Opera Marigny, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this nice review!

I am very glad of reading that you enjoyed the location, design and comfort of our small but cosy boutique hotel.

Thanks for underlining the cleanliness and the warm welcome. These aspects are extremely important to us, for we are aware that a pleasant stay and our guests’ satisfaction would be inconceivable without them. Furthermore such compliments contribute furthermore to strengthen our staff’s motivation. I will be happy to share your remarks with my co-workers.

That would be a pleasure for my team and myself to welcome you again in the future. Do not hesitate to contact us to book your room at Opéra Marigny next time you visit Paris.

See you soon,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have chosen this hotel based on other customers' reviews, so I feel obliged to share mine.

Location: the hotel is situated in the center of Paris, on a small street some 3 minutes away from Madeleine, and therefore within walking distance from Place de l'Opera, Place Concorde and Boulevard Haussmann (where the famous Galeries Lafayette are).

I understood the hotel was recently renovated (a couple of years ago), and you can see that in the quality of the whole place, from the reception and breakfast area to the furniture inside my room. It has a modern look and feel which is a nice plus if you compare it to other Parisian hotels. Although the rooms are small (but almost all Paris hotels are like this), they have all functionality one could need.

Some of the minuses include terrible WiFi service (a must for me in the 21st century), with users and passwords for each individual device,, slow Internet speed, hotel quite noisy and not sound proof (I could hear my fellow travelers' moves either from the same hotel or the building next to this, not to mention the noises on the street - honking, garbage truck at 6 AM :), security fences in front of shops, etc., although I was located at the 4th floor). More importantly, during my first hour, the previous occupant came in my room to look for his lost cosmetics pouch (luckily I was still dressed), using his own card key... the receptionist apologised for this incident.

I did not try the breakfast, since it's a pity to be in Paris and eat at the hotel, when there are so many nice places and cafes outside.
Overall 4 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for these 4 stars of which we are happy!
It’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the location, the design and the quality of the hotel.
Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience occurred on the day of your arrival. That was a terrible gaffe and I am still feeling a bit ridiculous while reading this part of your review. My team and I will make sure to avoid such events in the future.

With regard to the wireless network, this service is complimentary. Logins are mandatory to keep this service an exclusive to our guests. What would happen if everybody in the neighbourhood could access the network? The bandwidth would be saturated and our guests would be penalised. We are thinking of choosing another provider, to offer a more efficient and a faster WiFi service to our visitors, nonetheless we will most probably keep providing you with access codes.

On the other hand I am somewhat surprised reading your remark about the soundproofing of our hotel. This is usually one of our strong points. We checked the windows of all rooms located on the 4th floor to make sure that nothing is wrong and we have found no anomalies. Should you come to visit us again, please do not hesitate to require a room overlooking the courtyard. Our rooms on the back are perfect very appreciated by our most noise sensitive habitués.

We would be very glad of welcoming you again in the future.

See you soon,

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The worst hotel I ever stayed at! When we arrived our room was very dirty (dust everywhere, dirty toilettes, hair on the bed, ...). I complained and asked for someone to come and clean but when we came back to the room nothing has changed. After every single day the cleaning lady didn't do her work very well. (Long dark hair on the walls in the bathroom, a manicure set disapired and never came back! Was the cleaning lady doing her nails while she was supposed to be cleaning?, dirty towels were not changed, ...). The day we left I had a business call so we were still in our room at 12 am. At 12:03 am the desk called and asked us to leave the room in a very unpolite way (we only stayed 5 minutes longer than "allowed". We were asked if everything was okay during our stay and when I complained about the cleaning they didn't even apologize! This really is a shame since the hotel itself is very charming and well placed but it's way to expensive and worth a 2 star hotel, not 4!!! I won't come back here until the stuff has changed!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MPeyrel, Directeur général at Hotel Opera Marigny, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Madam,

I am very upset of reading your review, for our guests’ satisfaction takes precedence over everything else, as well for me as for my team.

I cannot recognize any of the members of my staff in the unpleasant situation you refer to. Nonetheless the misbehaviours you describe are unacceptable to me and I would like to take the necessary measures to avoid them in the future.

Our small boutique-hotel is appreciated for the warm welcome, the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. We are by the way quite flexible concerning the check-out time of our guests, although we do our best to always clean our rooms before 2PM. This allows us to honour our commitments towards arriving guests, to whom we assure the opportunity of checking in by that time. Everyone in the team knows anyway that this obligation does not justify a rude attitude towards the guests checking out that day, regardless of their punctuality.

For the reasons mentioned above, when your review was published, I first thought that there might be a mistake. Upon my request TripAdvisor has meanwhile confirmed that the review does concern Opera Marigny, nonetheless the website do not disclose any information about their verification procedures. Since the issues you mention occurred essentially upon arrival and upon departure, being informed about your check-in and check-out dates would be enough for me to identify and admonish the staff concerned.

TripAdvisor is not willing to share this information with me. Thus the only person who could help me in this purpose is you. I would therefore be very grateful if you could contact me to tell me more about your experience. This will allow me to take the necessary steps about the team and to come back to you with a goodwill gesture.

In the meantime I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences experienced at our hotel. I hope that my team and I will another chance of letting you know Opera Marigny’s true colours in the future.

Awaiting your reply I remain