“Good value in Paris”

Ranked #589 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Dallas, TX
“Good value in Paris”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for three nights in early January. We had a triple room for me and two teenage daughters. The room was small, typical for hotels in central Paris, but there was enough room for our carry-on bags and backpacks. The room was clean. Windows had good soundproofing, but the hotel is situated on a quiet street half a block from a major avenue de Republique. There are two Metro stations within a 5 min walk from the hotel, and most major attractions can be reached within 10-20 minutes. Glad I did not choose a hotel in the Latin quarter, which was my second closest ( and more expensive) choice - that area is very loud, touristy and filled with cheap, poor quality restaurants. The time spent on Metro can become somewhat long, especially if you are trying to take a break from sightseeing in the afternoon. The front desk staff was always courteous, friendly and everyone spoke excellent English. Breakfast was available and looked OK - but my girls wanted to eat crepes every morning, and we found a small
hole-in-the-wall boulangerie a few blocks away where they ate 3 days in the row. No reservations about staying at this hotel again - just realize this is a 3 star property in the heart of Paris - don't expect the amenities you would associate with similarly rated US hotels. It's basic, clean, convenient and delivers what it promises - good rest at night after a busy day of sightseeing. If you need a more luxurious property, I would look near the Champs Elysees or Opera area and expect to pay 2-3 times more. That will get you closer to the major tourist sites and luxury shopping and cut down on the time spent on Metro.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank DallasFA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Conveniently located next to 2 metro stops, few minutes walk to great restaurants and a small grocery store, located in a beautiful building. The rooms are on the smaller side, but then so are all rooms in Paris. Bed & bathroom were very clean, however the carpets were not - I always pack bathroom slippers because this seems to be a common problem across all hotels.
The staff was helpful and pleasant. A bowl of apples & fresh croissants welcomed us back to the hotel every evening.

Room Tip: Higher floors looking out onto the street are better. 5th floor street facing rooms (where we were...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PreetiPabreja
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Spent 4 days with my Family at Hotel Le 20 Prieure. This was a great location for exploring Paris. The room was small but clean and warm. Staff where very helpful and friendly. Would stay again if ever in Paris again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hsofcar
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel is easy to get to because it is close to the subway. The area was very nice, its close to Place de la République. The rooms are not big, but I like how the had a detailed photo of a part of paris. The room was clean, and the people were very friendly. The breakfast was better than we expected. This is a great hotel for the price you pay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EvaThomasz
London
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for a short business trip as it was in a good location and the price was very reasonable for Paris. The staff were friendly and welcoming, but I'm sorry to say that was one of the only highlights. I've learned my lesson and won't be counting the pennies next time.

The few issues I'd like to point out:
1. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable. It felt cheap, lumpy and had a sink hole in the middle. It didn't make for a restful night's sleep.
2. Speaking of sleep, or lack of it, the incessant banging and clanging of the radiator pipes never stopped. I understand the heating has to be on, but the noise it emitted was unbearable.
3. On the subject of noise, I was woken the first morning of my stay by building works noise. Again, I understand these things have to be carried out, but I wish I would have been warned by the staff beforehand.
4. When I asked for an iron/ironing board, I was given an iron but told there was no ironing board. The front desk clerk said to use the desk in my room. What hotel doesn't have at least one ironing board?
5. The quality of the breakfast was quite poor. Had I had time, I would have skipped it, but it was the most convenient option. The pastries seemed old (there is a boulangerie 2 mins from the hotel), and the fruit in the fruit salad also seemed like it had seen better days (why bother putting something of that poor quality out).
6. There were several areas in my room with shoddy finishes. For example, in the bathroom it seemed as though a hole in the wall had been repaired but had not been sanded or painted over to match the wall.

In the end, the hotel facilities may be ok for leisure travellers on a budget, but that is about it. Whatever you do, skip the breakfast and spend half that at a bakery or cafe.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JB_London02
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We were really looking forward to using this establishment as a base of operations during our first trip to Paris, having scoured the reviews and looked at the photographs of the place we thought it would be more than sufficient.

However, this was not the case as we found ourselves utterly disappointed with Hotel Le 20 Prieure.

I am sad to being saying this, because I really wanted it to be as good as we felt it should have been.

Upon arrival, our welcome was lackluster to say the least - the staff were far from professional and seemed hardly willing to offer assistance.

There are a lot of cracks in the walls in the lobby, particularly near the elevator (which is tiny and often filled with cleaning products).

There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room; if you want coffee you can get one downstairs (it tastes awful) for the sum of 3 Euros a cup! Breakfast was at the flat rate of 13 Euros per person, per day regardless off whether you took advantage of the full spread or simply had a slice of toast.

Our room was small and dirty. Lots of visible dust around skirting boards, carpets tired and dirty. The bathroom was the worst, walls stained with brown drip marks and a horrible stain under the sink. Black marks in the bath tub and more dust than I have ever seen behind a radiator.

Location wise, you are very much out of the way if you are coming to Paris for the first time and are interested in the main attractions. Notre Dame is within walking distance yes, but it is still rather far and the Eifel Tower, Louvre, Champs Elysees etc are very far away.

Considering the rate charged by this hotel, I can safely say without looking that a better value hotel in a better location is surely available.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyKing84
Tromsø, Norway
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Found the hotel at hotels.com. The hotel is small with fire rooms on each floor. We got a room towards the backyard so it was quiet all the time. The room was not very big, but fuctioned will for us. The staff is helpfull, Even if they did not speak much english. We liked our stay very much.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple