Marais House
  • Fitness center
$274
$227
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I find traveling to Paris always a bit of a nuisance because hotels and either too expensive, located in remote areas, their rooms are tiny, service is terrible, or all the above (unless you are planning to spend twice what you would in London or New York). So when a trip to Paris comes up, I find myself searching hotel websites, reading reviews, checking out google maps, and it was this how I found the Marais House at designtripper.com. Having read some of the reviews here in tripadvisor, it seems that some of the grumpy critics are missing 2 basic facts—first of all, this is a bed & breakfast, so one cannot expect a full hotel service; second, this is Paris, so one cannot apply the same hotel standards of other cities. Paris hotels are over-priced for a very simple reason—this is the most visited city in the world by tourists (a fact that regrettably reflects on the quality of service in general, and hotels and taxis in particular). Having said all that, after more than 20 years of traveling to Paris, the Marais House was a wonderful find. It is in an excellent location, has plenty of space and charm, and Mr. Hentschke, the owner, greets us with kind hospitality. As the single manager of this 4 bedroom establishment, it is remarkable that he finds time to help us with the luggage upstairs, phone restaurants for reservations, draw maps, serve us tea and tell us his own stories. I did find it a hassle to have to pre pay the room with paypal, as no credit cards are accepted, but this is a Parisian B&B in the Marais, after all, and I was happy to pay half of what I had planned, even though I did not have room service—at least here the room was large enough for me to open my suitcase in it!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank saopaulosaopaulo
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

I have always been amazed at how guests take the time off their obviously busy schedules in having the kindness in witting about their positive experiences.

It indeed shows how very fortunate we are in the overwhelming majority of our guests, it is sad to hear of bad experiences some to have in Paris, so unnecessary and uncalled for, as it is so easy to be pleasant and helpful by treating guests as one expects to be treated onesself.

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have just spent 6 nights here - and chose it as I wanted something uniquely Parisian. And that it definitely is! I was looking for an apartment to rent but came across this place & happily gave it a go.
The location is superb - it is not a tourist trap area & there are so many friendly local bistros to eat in. The Marais is a bohemian area & spending Saturday walking around it with friends, shopping & having a leisurely lunch in the sun at one of these bistros was a highlight. I like walking - and you can walk to almost anywhere from here, albeit depending on the attraction. But I didn't feel the need to use the metro once.
I note that another reviewer mentioned that the house was dirty & not really clean. I do not feel that that is fair - the house is almost 400 years old I believe so it is never going to be perfect. But it is in good clean condition, just not 5 star necessarily.
I had a room on the top floor (attic) with a modern ensuite with sep bath & shower. I am 6'2 & quite broad & did not have any issues with the space on offer at all (some Parisian bathrooms are the size of a shower!). I loved that the room had double doors opening out on to a cute balcony. It meant that the room was lovely & light & also very private. The furniture is made up of quirky older pieces that have been tarted up - but it works. His liberal use of exotic fabrics & wallpapers is definitely a local look that I liked.
There were a couple of small things that were frustrating though & could be easily addressed:
1. The wi-fi was hopeless. I have an iPad & it could get the signal but not strong enough anywhere in the house to use it - least of all on the top floor. Yann (the owner) said this has happened before with iPads with other guests. I had to go & buy a local sim card to get myself going. Yann graciously offered to set me up with his laptop in the lounge room but that is not what I wanted. I want to be able to access the web when & how I want to. This definitely needs addressing as it was a source of frustration & extra expense.
2. The breakfast is pretty stodgy sweet cakes & breads. Fine & different for a day or two but after that I was going out for breakfast. This sort of breakfast may be what locals eat - but locals are not the target market for him. Even just some hard boiled eggs & normal bread & a toaster would suffice to have kept me there.
3. There is no tv in the rooms - which I found unusual. I am not a big watcher of tv but do like it when traveling so that i can keep up with what is going on in the world. Small flat screen televisions are super cheap these days & could be discretely positioned in the rooms. Cabling for them would potentially sort out wi-fi problems too. Just a thought...
These are relatively small things though - as there was plenty to recommend it.
Yann is a very gracious & generous host & will happily help you in anyway that he can. He loves a chat & a cup of tea in the salon - which is indeed a lovely place to sit. He even came across & helped with the laundromat across the road & organized a friendly local taxi driver to take me to the airport. His restaurant recommendations were also excellent. I am a dog lover so adored his chocolate labs - they are very friendly. But they stay with him & do not wander around the house at will so do not let them put you off staying there if you are not so keen on them.
It is not a cheap place to stay & probably does not represent value as such. If the issues above were addressed then it would help with things I believe.
But if you want somewhere a little different, to live life like a (stylish) Parisian then I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank WalterBW
maraishouse, Propriétaire at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you for the positively of this post.

Indeed there are certain IPADS that do not seem to pick up the WIFI signal, I have been informed by our server that those who do not pick up the WIFI need to be updated by the owners, I know little about this. there are no problems with laptops as we have installed WIFI bousters in the rooms.

Indeed breakfast customs are perceived by just about every nationality; all of which are impossible to follow which is why we have kept it as a generous Continental one.

Coffee, choice of tea, juice and milk with four to five choices of cakes, and two jams. It is laid out from ten AM onwards in order for guests not to be pressed in getting up by any definite time which every one seems to enjoy.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The Marais house takes you back in time; You live in the heart of Paris, litterally 10 steps away from the Beaubourg modern art museum, but like in a time capsule, shielded from the noise and hectic pace of the city.
Yann the owner is a wonderful man, affable, and the first morning, we almost forgot to start our visit as we chatted for nearly 2 hours in the majestic living room.
We had the breakfast twice past noon time, because we could not wake up, as our room was so quiet, and the bed so soft.
The area is full of very good restaurants (some traditional, some very trendy), a great bakery just across the hotel, Notre-Dame is a 10 mn walk away...
We had the room at the last floor, spacious, classy, with the bathroom with a sky window...My wife was in heaven

Room Tip: The hotel has only few rooms (4 or maybe 5). The tiny but efficient elevator goes up to the 3rd floor. We had the room on the top floor, with a small interior staircase, and a small balcony with ivy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Roubi A

Thank you - it shall be difficult to live up to this one but shall do our best.

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

To be honest I was really disappointed with my stay at the Marais house. The location is fantastic since it is very central and on a beautiful quiet street. I feel the house would of been amazing once but it now lacks luster and has become very dark and dusty. The owner was a lovely man to welcomed us into his home and told us a great restaurant however that was about it. The rooms although large are not clean and the whole house was freezing. Unfortunatly we had to leave after one night since it wasn't what we were expecting- and definetly overpriced for 300 euros a night.

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank Philippav
maraishouse, Gérant at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

I greeted this person who arrived in a most irate state, showed her to the room and offered to have tea in the drawing room before her going out for to dinner.

Upon having tea she complained bitterly about being so very late, I asked if her plane had been delayed? She explained that it had been on schedule but that her low cost flight landed in Beauvais which was very far from Paris and that it was expensive to get into the city, which seemed to explain her dissatisfaction, but something that should have been taken up with the low cost company she chose to fly on.

She then went on profusely, under an apparent great state of alarm, about the economical situation, that obviously was going to get worst next year. It seemed to be an obsession with her as she did go on about it.

There seemed to be very little comfort I could offer as I was obviously dealing with a rather negative person. I asked if I could help with any restaurant reservation, she said that she already had made arrangements at Brasserie Lipp; therefore am very surprised that she mentions I to have "told her of a great restaurant" as this was her own choice and actually not one I would recommend to most tourists even if I often go there myself.

She explained she would shower before going to dinner. After leaving for dinner, between nine and ten PM, the room was seen to as we always do; towels changed, bathroom straightened out, curtains drawn, lights put on.

The next morning I was in the dinning room when this person came straight at me in a most determined and menacing way "I must leave, I am used to more service and the beds are too narrow; in Italy I know three such accommodations that are half the price" I answered "fine, may I help with the luggage?" Which seems to have thrown her off completely as it was obvious she was looking for or expecting an argument. She just questioned "half the price?". I answered that was not possible.

I could not understand what lack of service she could possibly have experienced between the time she came back from late dinner and the present, ten AM.

There was no mention on her part of dust, cleanliness, darkness or heating . We on these dates had a full house, one room were repeat clients for three nights who come several times a year and the two others were new clients; one room four and one six nights. Non mentioned any of the above written complaints.

I must admit having been rather relieved when she left as I was pleased to spare my guests the negativity I experienced from the moment I opened the door.

I do hope she to have found something for half the price to appease her unhappy mood from before even entering the house.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Yann is the consummate host! With flair and style, we were welcomed back for our second visit earlier this year.
I highly recommend Marais House as a base for your visit to Paris. It is perfectly located in the 3rd arrondissement for exploration of all of the highlights of the city.
Marais House presents the perfect opportunity to have a more personal experience and connection with Parisian life.
If you're trying to decide...just go ahead and book Marais House now. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelrLosAngeles

Thank you for your kindness in taking the time - I wish I knew who you were as these are ononemous.