“Live like a noble man in the heart of Paris”
Review of Marais House

and 1 more site!
Marais House
Ranked #69 of 136 Paris B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The Marais house takes you back in time; You live in the heart of Paris, litterally 10 steps away from the Beaubourg modern art museum, but like in a time capsule, shielded from the noise and hectic pace of the city.
Yann the owner is a wonderful man, affable, and the first morning, we almost forgot to start our visit as we chatted for nearly 2 hours in the majestic living room.
We had the breakfast twice past noon time, because we could not wake up, as our room was so quiet, and the bed so soft.
The area is full of very good restaurants (some traditional, some very trendy), a great bakery just across the hotel, Notre-Dame is a 10 mn walk away...
We had the room at the last floor, spacious, classy, with the bathroom with a sky window...My wife was in heaven

Room Tip: The hotel has only few rooms (4 or maybe 5). The tiny but efficient elevator goes up to the 3rd flo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Roubi A
maraishouse, Propriétaire at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you - it shall be difficult to live up to this one but shall do our best.

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

To be honest I was really disappointed with my stay at the Marais house. The location is fantastic since it is very central and on a beautiful quiet street. I feel the house would of been amazing once but it now lacks luster and has become very dark and dusty. The owner was a lovely man to welcomed us into his home and told us a great restaurant however that was about it. The rooms although large are not clean and the whole house was freezing. Unfortunatly we had to leave after one night since it wasn't what we were expecting- and definetly overpriced for 300 euros a night.

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank Philippav
maraishouse, Gérant at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

I greeted this person who arrived in a most irate state, showed her to the room and offered to have tea in the drawing room before her going out for to dinner.

Upon having tea she complained bitterly about being so very late, I asked if her plane had been delayed? She explained that it had been on schedule but that her low cost flight landed in Beauvais which was very far from Paris and that it was expensive to get into the city, which seemed to explain her dissatisfaction, but something that should have been taken up with the low cost company she chose to fly on.

She then went on profusely, under an apparent great state of alarm, about the economical situation, that obviously was going to get worst next year. It seemed to be an obsession with her as she did go on about it.

There seemed to be very little comfort I could offer as I was obviously dealing with a rather negative person. I asked if I could help with any restaurant reservation, she said that she already had made arrangements at Brasserie Lipp; therefore am very surprised that she mentions I to have "told her of a great restaurant" as this was her own choice and actually not one I would recommend to most tourists even if I often go there myself.

She explained she would shower before going to dinner. After leaving for dinner, between nine and ten PM, the room was seen to as we always do; towels changed, bathroom straightened out, curtains drawn, lights put on.

The next morning I was in the dinning room when this person came straight at me in a most determined and menacing way "I must leave, I am used to more service and the beds are too narrow; in Italy I know three such accommodations that are half the price" I answered "fine, may I help with the luggage?" Which seems to have thrown her off completely as it was obvious she was looking for or expecting an argument. She just questioned "half the price?". I answered that was not possible.

I could not understand what lack of service she could possibly have experienced between the time she came back from late dinner and the present, ten AM.

There was no mention on her part of dust, cleanliness, darkness or heating . We on these dates had a full house, one room were repeat clients for three nights who come several times a year and the two others were new clients; one room four and one six nights. Non mentioned any of the above written complaints.

I must admit having been rather relieved when she left as I was pleased to spare my guests the negativity I experienced from the moment I opened the door.

I do hope she to have found something for half the price to appease her unhappy mood from before even entering the house.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Yann is the consummate host! With flair and style, we were welcomed back for our second visit earlier this year.
I highly recommend Marais House as a base for your visit to Paris. It is perfectly located in the 3rd arrondissement for exploration of all of the highlights of the city.
Marais House presents the perfect opportunity to have a more personal experience and connection with Parisian life.
If you're trying to decide...just go ahead and book Marais House now. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelrLosAngeles

Thank you for your kindness in taking the time - I wish I knew who you were as these are ononemous.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Thank you Yann.
Loved the location so discrete, loved the house, the bedroom was so quiet and comfortable very spacious and beautifully appointed . The bed was blissful. Breakfast was perfect and at a very civilized hour.
Thank you again Yann for the use of your beautiful home.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lindsey A

Thank you for your kindnes in taking the time.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

You can stay in an ordinary hotel, or you can stay at The Marais House and add another wonderful memory and experience to your Paris visit. Besides being in a great location, the House is all eye candy...antiques, wall hangings, a glass floor, and a hidden elevator to add mystery. The owner/host, Yann, adds warmth, charm, and a vast knowledge of the city to make your visit more enjoyable. We looked forward to having tea at the end of the day with Yann and his two well-behaved chocolate labs that sat at our feet. We look forward to returning to the Marais House in the future.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank GarboGretta
maraishouse, Propriétaire at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you, it was a pleasure to have you stay at the house.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

Hi, we traveled to Paris with my wife and decided to stay at Yann's Marais House. We are originally from Paris but live in South America. Our stay was a delight, Yann is a fantastic host and the location of his House is very central. All Paris monuments are within walking distance, which was one of our most important desires. Tea time at Yann's is always fun, with an eclectic group of people from those staying in the House to friends who drop by. A must try !

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jfdelortr
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The discrete location is annoying when you arrive in Paris very early and just want to get to your hotel. Its also rather unwelcoming. The hotel is very dark and somewhat creepy. I certainly wouldn't have been happy staying there on my own. In terms of cleanliness its sort of as clean as I would expect someone's house to be but not sparkling hotel clean. The bed was made in a way that I would make my spare bed up in our spare room but not really hotel quality. Soooo.. in short if your looking for a b&b then this place is very much that and certainly NOT hotel quality. It's all a bit dark and creepy in m opinion and very over priced.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HillaryLondon
maraishouse, Owner at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

It must be a coincidence that the three last negative reviews seem to have one point in common and that is that we have no idea who they are from. This review having been posted on the 24th February for an alleged stay in December doubles our suspicion.

We shall just answer it point by point below.

We do not understand what is referred to as a 'discrete location' and if so ; what is annoying about being discrete? As for arriving early, as this person claims to have, yes indeed we do accept early arrivals for which we do not charge. A pity this was not mentioned by this person who claims to have arrived early. Also, this person calls us a hotel which we are not.

If this person indeed stayed here and found it un welcoming, dark and creepy, Why stay? Why should anyone stay in a dark creepy place with so many other Paris options?

Again, we are not a hotel but a private townhouse featured in Architectural Digest and many other magazines (a selection of which that can be seen on our web site).

Possibly this person stayed in a dark, un welcoming, creepy hotel and not with us as we repeat, WE ARE NOT A HOTEL.

If indeed this person stayed here, why not say so and wait two months to complain? This person once again refers to us as a hotel for the third time; having stayed here they should know we are not.

It is a pity we were not explained by this person how she wanted the beds to be made. Seeing that we make them up twice a day, morning and evening, there was ample opportunity to say something. We never have heard about the way the beds are made up in all these years.

It's all a bit dark and creepy in m opinion and very over priced.

In short, we actually do not believe this person has stayed here in December, waiting two months to post this, and if indeed they did why did they accept all of these alleged shortcomings? They claim to have stayed here and yet called us a hotel on five different occasions on their complaint.

We have never pretended to be a hotel, we are a B and B, how after staying here could they not know this, if indeed they have been here at all.