“Hipster heaven”
Review of Hotel Amour

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Amour
Ranked #1,184 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Well, at first my friend and were getting a little tired of the nonchalant service attitude. But we loved the location and the decor. The food was surprisingly good.

My friend's French is really good, but they still spoke to her in English.

All that said, I would go back for a dose of French coolness...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Judy D

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We arrived in Paris saturday for the Tour de France only to be told we did not have a reservation so the embarrassed hotel owner found us this hotel, what a delightful hotel for a short break, French decor at its best. Maybe a little overpowering if you stayed too long.
Staff were very pleasant and nothing too much trouble, room was clean, bed was comfortable, quiet, shower was wonderful especially after a day in Paris, added bonus towelling robes.

Breakfast was scrumptious.
Easy to find your way around, but the area was a bit seedy in parts though.

Room Tip: Stayed in Victor Juliet no view but very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jansy13
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Arrived & was given a room that faced the street at sidewalk level - hot & noisy, but we were able to change rooms for the 2nd & 3rd nights - big improvement in the overall experience as we were on the 3rd flr in the rear. Liked the chic design - who knew black walls could work? Staff service was minimal, but acceptable. The hotel was not quite a scene, but the lobby/cafe was always busy. Neighborhood was very non-touristy & there was a great patisserie at the end of Rue Navarin. Close to several metro stops.

Room Tip: Don't settle for a room on the ground floor on the street! Noisy, hot & the windows wouldn...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mark T
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Looks lovely on their minimal info website. My partner has stayed in a couple of rooms on business and really liked it. I had my reservations, having read other reviews, but my partner assured me it was a great place to stay.
How overpriced and underwhelming, if not unnecessarily unpleasant at times.

The restaurant downstairs has grown legs of its own and is a business in its own right. It's booked up every day for dinner, without fail. So, even if you're staying here, you'll need to book a table in the lovely conservatory area. There are no concessions for residents of the hotel. No matter how much your room is.

I had the best bloody mary I've had in my life mixed by a great barman in the bar adjoining the restaurant, however, at all other times it came as a vodka with tomato juice and tabasco and celery salt are left on the table - that's €13 please!

We booked a superior room, as we'd gotten married on the day we arrived. The room - as previously stated - was underwhelming (but for the 245 mirror balls on the ceiling). It looked great at first glimpse, black walls, furnishings and velvet curtain separating you from the bathroom. The detail of the room is really tired, as are parts of the hotel, and the toilet in the bathroom did a flush noise every minute, I counted (all through the night). No TV or place to hang your clothes (which wasn't a fire hazard - having a mini fridge in a single/tiny door cupboard is a disaster waiting to happen. The heat in there was unbelievable - and where should one put an expensive and long silk dress?) with no breakfast included. All this was excusable for the ambience, the comfort factor of the bed, the mirror ball novelty and the fact it had a beautiful roll top bath.
On the second day we went to run a bath....
It was broken. Things break/flood, that's fine. We understand that. We offered to wait in the bar for an hour and did so at our own expense (I should add we really didn't want any more drink as we'd just come from a high tea at the Four Seasons with a bottle of champagne and wanted a bath together). After an hour we were told we would need to vacate the restaurant soon as it was booked up for the evening, so we asked the girl at the desk what was happening. We were told the technician was still fixing it, it would just be another half an hour or so...and a pause.... No "shall we move you to another room" - or "I'm sorry we don't have another room to move you to, can we offer you this table with a drink/food whilst you wait". Just an expectant smile for us to carry on waiting.
Now, if we'd paid £100 a night, we could understand, but we paid €215 a night - they also knew it was our marriage stay/honeymoon.
It took my husband to say "I think you should buy us a drink then" for her to respond with "yes, of course".

The following morning, upon checkout, we were told because of the problem with the bath the day before we should have paid €250 because it was a Friday but that they would just charge us the weekday price of €215. News to us that the second night was €250, our invoice/confirmation booking said 2 nights at €215 - and if what makes the superior room "superior" is broken, then we should have been offered to pay a flat rate for the room. Surely?

The management/the girls in charge/on reception have obviously never worked somewhere where the room charge of €215 is warranted. You expect a level of service with that price tag. It never came.

Again, it took my husband to point all of this out for anyone to offer any kind of recompense and fully apologise. We were charge €50 less on the total bill - but only after that.

Don't stay here. Really. You will kick yourself for how little you got for how much it cost you.

I can fully recommend booking a table in the restaurant though... and if you're lucky, you might even get the best bloody mary you've ever had.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Swissrmeadventure
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

It is an amazing boutique hotel, but only for people are fully prepared to emerse themselves into true Parisian life. Not for people who want to be waited on hand and foot but for cool kids who appreciate culture style and quirky design. The food is great and the lounge area is brilliant for coffee and reading and watching the world go by. Great location for nightlife of Pigalle and close to a lot of other great restaurants and shops.

If you are a true lover of Paris and are young and design culture driven this is the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank Harriet0408
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is an expensive hotel for the amenities that are on offer, there's no getting round it. I know it's supposed to be a hotel for lovers, but I still like a TV, wifi, robe and minibar when I'm away from home and paying these sorts of prices. We had the room with the mirror balls on the top floor and though it was quite visually stunning it did not feel clean as you could see dust in the black carpet. The bathroom was reminiscent of a Youth Hostel and its saving grace was the Kiehls toiletries.

It was definitely an experience but one I'm not sure I'd want to repeat. For the money you could stay at a far more luxurious place.

The particular area of Paris I loved, however, and we had a spectacular meal at Le Miroir a short stroll away in Montmartre.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Alice H
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on our anniversary... heard good things about it so got a the deluxe double room, which ended up to be about $230 a night. I was hoping for a lot more. It definitely had character, with the odd colors and naked photos around... not always a good thing! But I guess it had the Paris charm. The room was nice and big, but very poorly lit... their was a bath, but the shower had to be held, so it wasn't good at all for showering. Location wasn't that great either, it wasn't close to much at all. Didn't try the restaurant. I wouldn't recommend to someone who is being a tourist and wants to have a nice home base for their travels. The bed was nice and comfortable though!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple