“OVERNIGHT IN A STEAMER TRUNK”
Review of The Five Hotel

The Five Hotel
Ranked #551 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Chicago
“OVERNIGHT IN A STEAMER TRUNK”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Almost every reviewer refers to the insignificant size of the rooms. So does this one, except that they are even tinier, perhaps a suitcase made for two, or maybe only one and one half persons. With that out of the way what can be said that's good? Not a great deal more unfortunately,but here are the good bits. The room was clean (what's to clean in such a small room one asks?) Beginning with the garish hotel entry, (is it a hotel or another kind of house?) The mad mix of very hot colors are odd indeed, but perhaps the designers are just having fun, so what's the harm. No room for a soap tray in the toothpaste tube masquerading as the bath (really) so personal toiletries go on the floor that's where. Location not all that central either; it's rather empty out there. And the price is high for what is delivered. So why even give 3 stars? Because one star is reserved for the outstanding front desk who do all possible (and succeed) in nearly making a virtue out of a not so good deal.

Room Tip: Get two rooms; one for each. It will be needed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed October 24, 2013

There seems to be a bit of debate about the quality of The Five, but I thought it was outstanding ... as long as you understand what you are booking and how much you are paying.

The room we occupied was extremely small, but we knew that when we booked and we were only staying for one night. However, the style and comfort made up for the small size. The little lights above the bed were neat (maybe a bit too bright!), the 'canopy' on the bed amused my wife, the shower was fantastic, and the mattress and pillows were extremely comfortable. Our room faced the street but was still quiet (except for ambulance sirens: be warned that the hotel is near several hospitals). The room was also extremely clean and in very good condition.

The room in which we stayed is one that is shown on the hotel website, and I can say the photo is accurate. I do not think the photo would have misled anyone as to the size of the room.

As we were only there for an evening and we know Paris well, we did not ask for much from the front desk staff. However, I am confident that they would have been happy to recommend restaurants, arrange tours, etc., and done everything with charm and a big smile. Tanya in particular was fantastic; we arrived rather early in the morning, but she managed to let us check in early to freshen up and change clothes before a day of shopping.

I also liked the location of the hotel. Sometimes, we prefer to stay in a hotel that is a little further away from the tourist areas. The Five is on a nice quiet street and the area has a feel of a part of Paris where people actually live. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby, and it is only about a five-minute walk to the Les Gobelins metro stop, which is on a line that will take you to the Marais, the Louvre and the Opera/Galleries Lafayette. Very handy! It's only a 10-minute stroll to the food shops/restaurants on Rue Mouffetard.

You may not want to stay in a rather small room for a week, but for a night or two, it was great. I also got a very good deal on the rate as part of a Eurostar holiday, so I thought the Five was well worth the money.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back may be quieter than those facing the street, but we still slept like babies.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iskaboo
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed October 10, 2013

It was the people that made the difference for me during a recent stay. Tanya and Manon looked after me when I had a sore leg, and made sure I was as comfortable as possible. The hotel was fun too, and comfortable, and located in a great part of Paris.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G A
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We spent three nights at the Five, and it was very nice. The staff there was VERY pleasant and helpful. The room was small by typical USA standards, but it was very well done, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was much too expensive for what was provided. Again, can't say enough about how great the staff was there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John-MaryAnne
Zermatt, Switzerland
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The room was very small and with need of renovation soon ( some beaten corners, walls need new paint).
For the high price we expected a much better hotel. There is no kettle in the room and for simple, small cup of tea you have to go to the lobby and pay 4€ (!). The hot water in the shower ran out after 5 minutes.
The location is fine, but there is some walking distance to the near metro station ( about 7 min).
The staff is welcoming, very nice young receptionists, who help you with good advice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shir G
North Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I had an awesome stay here. Thank you to all the people who helped me including the staff who provided me with maps and showed me how to get to the airport and around the city. I thought the breakfast was small and should have been free, plus I paid for it when I booked my hotel but when I went to eat something I was told at the concierge counter that I would have to pay again. 12 euro! For that, I could have gone elsewhere for better food, and I did.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Diego
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel photographs well, but in reality, not so good. Room is ridiculously small, the price is outrageous, and romantic it isn't. However, the staff is really nice (the women are hot), and the location is not bad. There are better choices, so shop around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neutron73
05senses, Directeur général at The Five Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear ArtC3,

The Five hotel does not leave indifferent people who meet, since almost a year after you remember it.
Your memories are rather negatives and I hear your disappointment but important for me is to read your comment on our staff!!
Maybe our cocoon atmosphere does not correspond to your expectations, but you cannot mentionned we are liars with our pictures.

The Five hotel is the first Elegancia hotels created , I am sure you will definitely be satisfied for next romantic trip in Paris in other Elegancia Hotel and I would be honored if you contact me to speak with you about our differents experiences we provide.