“Will do but !!”

Hotel Cambrai a Paris
Ranked #1,569 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
“Will do but !!”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I spent 3 nights at Hotel Cambrai . Pros :1- The hotel is within a short walking distance from Gare du Nord . 2- It is reasonably priced . 3- Cordial staff . 4- Reasonably clean . Cons : 1- Hard mattress . 2- Squeaky floors . 3- Smoke infested . 4- Poor quality breakfast .5- Shower head with no holder , no soap holder . 6- Street traffic noise can be unbearable . This is my 4th. trip to Paris in as many years . I have always made price and proximity to the train station a priority . From now on , I would rather pay a few extra Euros at a DECENT hotel instead preferably close to the center !!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Lapstone
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The Cambrai is situated only 5 minutes walk away from Gare Nord station in a tree lined street and busy part of Paris. My room, booked as a single contained a comfortable double bed against one of the walls and wasn't quite as small as I expected. Very basic furnishings and decor, and a small desk was also included in the room. Bathroom was very nicely tiled, no shower as such, but a hand held spray over a triangular shaped bathtub. There was no view to speak of from my room, but I had no problem with traffic noise or noise created by other guests. There was a lift to take me to my level. The reception staff were OK. For the low price paid I was very satisfied with this Hotel where I stayed for only one night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Cambrai for 2 nights and chose this hotel to be close to Gare du Nord station. I e-mailed them 2 months prior to our arrival, requesting a special room with balcony on the 5th floor, as this was for my 50th birthday. On our arrival, we found the following in room 51: shower bracket was broken off (when I asked reception about this, I was told to hold the shower head in my hand when I shower - I think not!). This was eventually fixed with duct tape. The toilet seat was broken off (it was fixed the next day); none of the bedlights were working (only 1 was fixed the next day). No plug in the wash basin. (This was never replaced). The lock of the door on the inside was not working. (This was never fixed). The showerdoor was FILTHY! See photo. Hair in the shower and dirty, indicating that the shower was not cleaned before we came in. When I enquired about this, the guy at reception said: "it is not my hair". Nice! The room was so small that the double bed was pushed against the one wall. My husband had to climb over me to get in and out of bed. I immediately, on arrival brought all these things under receptions attention and requested another room but the hotel was "full". What a 50th birthday! I shudder to think what other guests get when they request nothing special! This hotel made my experience of Paris a rather gloomy one.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 51. It is a gloomy, dirty little corner room where nothing seems to work. It i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Hard to be fair, but I will try.
The gOOD things:
1) That was the lowest price with location combination we did manage to find in overpriced city Paris
2) Location is nice, close to railway stations and metro
3) Free cold drinkable water
4) Free Internet
5) Very nice and very friendly staff!!!

Not GOOD:
1) Cleanness only fair
2) Bathroom fated and I would say need much more improvement
3) In our bathroom shower works normally only with HOT water, so it was hard to take shower. 4) Heater works only first day (it was cold in Paris in JUNE!!!)
5) Internet normally works only in lobby and on the 4th floor in was totally unreliable
6) The room itself dated. Not bad,, but you will not see this on the picture

Room Tip: check breakfast BEFORE you agree to pay for it
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DmitryP4
London England
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Have been to Paris before and this time wanted to be very close to the Eurostar at Gare du Nord 5 minutes. We stopped for 2 nights the staff were riendly and helpful. There were only 2 of us but room was suitable for 3 but slight problem with double bed being very close to the wall but I preferred to pay cheap price and put up with climbing over the bed. Our room on 6th floor with views of roof tops but there is a lift, which is tiny dont expect to get large suitcases in it..The bathroom was small but adequate and clean as was the bed linen.For the price it was very good value but we cannot comment on the breakfast as we never ate in.There are plenty of restaurants/bars close bye,metro/buses to tourist sites but for us was great as we needed to get to Stade de France for rugby with no hassle.The latest we were out at night was about 10.30 as we are oldies,we felt safe, there were the usual few dodgy looking people that you see at any train station but walk tall and ignore them.Hospital nearby so sirens heard a bit, but if you've been out all day so tired you'll soon be asleep.We would definately stay here again and recommend as very good value,thank you staff of the Cambrai.

Room Tip: We only stayed 2 nights so didn't matter what room if you have a lot of luggage be aware lift sm...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank oldgroopie
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

It was our first trip to Paris and Europe of course. My wife and I arrived early in the morning at Orly Airport, Paris. After completing the immigration process, we embarked in RER (fast train) heading to Gare Du Nord train station. I had printed out the hotel location from Google map before flying to Europe. So it was so easy to locate this hotel when we arrived in Gare Du Nord. Hotel Cambrai is only 5 minutes walk from the train station. The staffs were very helpful. Because the check in time was at 2pm, they allowed us to keep our luggage in their luggage room. They also briefed us on how to use the Metro (underground train). With their help and using Metro, we managed to visit the Paris’s main tourist attractions within 2 hours.
There are many restaurants, bars and coffee shops near the hotel and many clothes outlet along the Magenta Boulevard. For Asians like us, finding food especially halal food is not a problem at all. We stayed for one night. For budget traveller like us is a highly recommended hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sayangmei
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed Cambrai for only one night. I arrived at Gare du Nord in the late evening by Eurostar and left the next morning by TGV so I didn't want to spend much for hotel. that's why I decided to stay here--cheap and walking distance from Gare du Nord. (5mins)
The room was big than I expected, not such huge but not small. the bathroom was clean and fine. the shower was enough powerful. there was nothing special but quite enough for those who doesn't want to spend much for accommodation.
I left my baggage for 5 days in the storage of this hotel since I stayed in other part of France and was to come back to Paris. It was so helpful. (of course they didn't charge me)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business