“You get what you paid for”
Review of Hotel Sofia

Hotel Sofia
Ranked #1,470 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
tolkun
“You get what you paid for”
Reviewed February 4, 2007

I paid here €30 per person via an agency that was charging per person rather than per room. However their double room was only €55. This is the first hotel I've ever stayed with lower list prices.
I had the impression that it was run by a family, few people, doing their best. I can't be judge for their English since I spoke to them in French. Inside was like a snapshot from 80s but clean. I didn't find the bed comfortable enough but sheets were clean and I was too tired to be bothered about it by the time time I get to sleep. The room was very hot, so I can confirm the heating works fine. There was no odour in the room nor in the bath room. I paid €16 for the closed parking which was on the same street and very modern and secure with two doors.
You can ignore the breakfast and if you need to pay for it I believe you are better of at the local bakery.
I must say, I won't be staying there again. I always go to Paris by car and I can get better quality for the same price a little further from the centre. This hotel is more for young adventurers looking for a place to spend the night with easy access to the metro/subway.

• Liked — The staff, they are very friendly.
  • Disliked — Interior and breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank tolkun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Sofia for 6 nights, and were not unhappy with our visit. We thought our room was surprisingly spacious for a double, though it was pretty spartan, and could do with some refurbishing (one of the curtains kept falling down in places, and the cute little ottoman things they had needed to be replaced as the middles of them were not supported). We did think that the beds were kind of funny--we had two twins, very low to the ground, the sheets tucked in extremely tightly (I felt very snug :)), but the oddest thing was the pillows. They didn't use pillow cases--the flat sheet that was on bottom was folded over the pillow instead. I would recommend taking an extra pillow, or a sarong or something, because they were pretty flat. I was cold at night, but the extra blanket we found in the closet helped, and my friend was fine. They bathroom was larger than the one we had when we were in London, and I thought it quite nice, there was lots of hot water, and our room (15) had no problems except that I kept spraying water out past the curtain. There were some lights that need to be replaced, but we didn't bother to complain about it. The neighborhood was maybe a little shady by the metro at night, but I felt fine on our street and things were pretty quiet at night. it was a little odd being across the street from the BNP, as there were still people working at nine at night when we had our window open as we were getting ready to head out. All the people we met were really friendly, there was a laundromat about a block or two away, a grocery store at the end of the street with some pretty good cheap red wine, and an internet cafe two doors down or so (it also had the best prices we saw while we were abroad, and it really was a cafe too, with sandwichs and stuff). The metro stop is less than five minutes from the hotel, and was really convienent, only one stop away from Gard du Nord if you're coming or going on the EuroStar, and two or three stops from awesome dining in Monmatre in the evening (You must find Refuge du Fondues!) All in all we were actually very pleased--as two strapped for cash college students, Hotel Sofia provided us with a place to sleep, shower, and leave our stuff--we didn't go to Paris to sit in a hotel room, so it was fine that is wasn't super lux or anything. just be sure to have a french phrase book for dealing with the staff because their English is somewhat limited (we asked for a wake up call 4 times, and didn't get one till the day we checked out), and be sure to be polite and say good morning and all that, the lady was somewhat touchy on that. We didn't buy into the breakfast thing, we thought we could do better buying at local patisseries, and we were right. Besides, it was more of a Parisian experience!

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My friend and I wanted to go to Paris for our week off and chose this one for its reasonable prices and close proximity to the Sacre Coeur. We weren't expecting much of it, and it worked fine for us.

The room was clean and tidy, but had definitely seen better days. Peeling paint and wallpaper, suspicious stains on the carpet, a closet door that wouldn't completely close, thin worn blankets on the beds. The shower you had to hold just so in order to get water to come out.
Be sure to watch out on the stairs when carrying a suitcase; they are narrow and rather uneven, easy to fall down if you're not careful.

On our first night we were a bit cold, so we asked the next morning at reception if we could have an extra blanket. They were all smiles and said of course, no problem (their English was pretty much limited to that phrase). That afternoon as we returned, there were another two of those paper-thin blankets on our beds. We were still cold that night, so next day we wrote a note to the maid (who was a bloke, by the way) if we could have a warmer blanket. The note was gone later on, but so were our extra blankets from the first night. The next day I wrote another note, this time in French, which I think wasn't even noticed. Finally I just wore a jumper and socks to bed.

Breakfast was extremely blah, tea or coffee and two croissants with jam per person. When we were staying at the hotel it was so full they had to have a schedule for when who should have breakfast, otherwise we might not fit in the dining room (which was about as big as a small house living room).

Staff were very kind and helpful, though only a few spoke more than three words in English. Once when we had been sitting on the steps of Sacre Coeur until midnight and came back, we found the door locked and had to ring the doorbell until the receptionist came out in his pjs with a pillow under his arm. It was very amusing.

The neighbourhood is mainly populated by Arab people, which might intimidate some people, but we found the inhabitants very kind and not at all pushy when we wanted to take a look in their shops. We were two young women alone but have felt safe at all times.

Overall we got what we paid for, and the location was after all very convenient. Close to the railway, underground and city. We had a great vacation.

• Stayed May 2006