“Overbooked, moved to a different ho(s)tel”
Review of Hotel Sofia

Hotel Sofia
Ranked #1,420 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Brussels, Belgium
“Overbooked, moved to a different ho(s)tel”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

The hotel has been renovated and the lobby looks quite nice now. However, when I arrived and showed my booking.com reservation, it turned out that the hotel was overbooked. They moved me to a different hotel, Sainte-Mairie - which is more like a hostel and looks definitely less nice - from the same owners. This turned out fine for my trip, but I regret that I didn't call the hotel after booking for a confirmation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Lyon, France
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Quiet little hotel in the heart of Paris. Well located and easy to get to.
It is a cheap hotel, so don't expect much! You get a bed to sleep in and that's pretty much it. (no towels or toiletries...)
Friendly and helpful staff...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Tiodoems
Mumbai, India
Reviewed June 20, 2009

After a fabulous stay in Rouen, we (a group of nine French teachers from India) decided to spend the last leg of our trip, in Paris. I had booked this one-star Hotel in Montmartre, online, called Hotel Sofia, because our shoestring budget didn't permit us to stay at any fancy place. Also there was plenty to see in this area, with the Basilica of Sacre Coeur, barely five minutes away from the hotel and plenty of inexpensive shops, boulangeries and patisseries all around, which took care of our hunger pangs.
I had been favourably impressed by the hotel, even before I saw it, because the proprietoress, Lydia Mayoufi (who runs the hotel along with her brother Billal), seemed to be a very patient sort. I had bombarded her with several e-mails and made countless changes and cancellations in the reservations and she had been more than helpful, promptly replying to all my queries.
When we arrived in Paris, in the pouring rain, and finally reached our hotel, there were the usual moans and groans from the rest of the group, because like Rouen, here also, the Hotel was four storeys high, with a winding staircase and there was no lift. Luckily there was some Hotel staff available, who helped us to lug our luggage upstairs. (I think no-one can beat Indians in carrying heavy luggage around. My room-mate, who wanted to be prepared for any eventuality, had every possible thing in her suitcase, except an ironing board).
For a one-star hotel, the lobby was quite decent and impressive with a little dining room for breakfast as well as a patio. (The breakfast was an additional 4 and a half euros). The rooms were also quite big and airy by Paris standards. Being a family run hotel, the personal touch was there and they very kindly permitted us to cook something in their micro-wave oven. The towels were changed daily and the beds made and overall it was quite a pleasant stay. The street where we were staying (Rue Sofia) was quite peaceful and quiet, though the main road was barely two minutes away and bustling with noise and traffic.
We had been told that the area was a bit shady, but that was nowhere near the hotel, but rather near the Metro station of Barbes Rochechouart, where there was always a bunch of noisy leather-jacketed youngsters. But we didn't have any problem with them. In fact my pocket got picked, in Paris, not in this area but in the upmarket quarter of the Musee de l'armee and the Hotel des Invalides.
All in all, I would recommend this quaint little Hotel to all those who want a clean, inexpensive place to stay, with friendly staff and personalised service and in whose surroundings you can experience first-hand, the noisy street sights and sounds of Paris.

• Liked — Centrally located in the heart of Montmartre with friendly, personalized service.
  • Disliked — The winding stairs may be a bit difficult for elderly people to negotiate
  • Stayed June 2009
1 Thank prochymaster
Sydney
Reviewed September 29, 2008

if you go to Sofia with the expectations of a one star hotel, then you won't be suprised. It was clean and our room had a phone, private bathroom etc but was the bare minimum.

The location is a bit dubious- not the nicest area. I was warned when i left by the staff to hold onto my bag because it would probably be taken (it didn't happen though). Was conveniently located for Moulin Rouge and Montmatre though.

Overall, as previously said, you do get what you pay for. It is a cheap hotel, but is clean with nice staff.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Livermore, California
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Ok, it's affordable and no bugs. That's the good news.

No, seriously. This place is convenient to some great sights in Paris. The hotel manager (owner?) is a great guy...(speaks no english), but helped me (speaks no French) with some basic things.

Not a room you'd like to hang out in after a long day of seeing the sites.

Beds and towels about 20yrs old... but somewhere to sleep.

Definitely, not comfortable but cheap.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — comfort
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
souhila_11, Propriétaire at Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear Madam, the full and deep renovation during the year 2010 fo hotel Sofia may convince you to visit us again. You would be very surprised to see how much we have changed. And now beleive me every single furniture in the room and in the collective areas are new and modern. Hotel Sofia starts its year with a fashion and comtemporean looking
We wish you all our best
Calgary
Reviewed May 23, 2008

There is no phone in the hotel rooms. Credit cards are not accepted, guests have to pay in cash. The hotel might have been renovated recently: The rooms are freshly painted (at least, it smells that way); there are new wall fixtures (electric wires are sticking out of the wall, indicating the old location of fixtures).

It is OK for backpackers who need a place to crash, it's locatd close to Sacre Coeur de Montmartre.

• Liked — Free (low speed) wi-fi
  • Disliked — No phones in rooms, toilet overflow
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
tolkun
Reviewed February 4, 2007

I paid here €30 per person via an agency that was charging per person rather than per room. However their double room was only €55. This is the first hotel I've ever stayed with lower list prices.
I had the impression that it was run by a family, few people, doing their best. I can't be judge for their English since I spoke to them in French. Inside was like a snapshot from 80s but clean. I didn't find the bed comfortable enough but sheets were clean and I was too tired to be bothered about it by the time time I get to sleep. The room was very hot, so I can confirm the heating works fine. There was no odour in the room nor in the bath room. I paid €16 for the closed parking which was on the same street and very modern and secure with two doors.
You can ignore the breakfast and if you need to pay for it I believe you are better of at the local bakery.
I must say, I won't be staying there again. I always go to Paris by car and I can get better quality for the same price a little further from the centre. This hotel is more for young adventurers looking for a place to spend the night with easy access to the metro/subway.

• Liked — The staff, they are very friendly.
  • Disliked — Interior and breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family