“Nice place in a so-so neighborhood.”

Hotel Provinces Opera
Ranked #1,081 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 16, 2010

The hotel is quite nice with a big lobby and nice rooms. We wished the restaurant would stay open longer... The neighborhood is a not very nice and quite smelly at places. Ask the desk about the nearest Metro station entrance - its just walking distance. Staff is a bit uninformed about the restaurants nearby. The hotel is in a narrow lane, not on the main road.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Provinces Opera

Reviewed May 5, 2010

stayed here for 2 nights in may not the most modern hotel in the world but better then some i have been in. left in the morning sightseeing and did not return until late night so perfect for this.comfortable bed nice and quite, staff very friendly and there is a left luggage so bags stayed there until evening on the last day handy. very central for all the sights. would recommend to book eiffel tower on line before your trip as it saves a lot of time queuing when you get there. the only draw back that i found , and i am not sure if it is with all french hotels there was no kettle in the room and being irish i missed a late night cuppa a small gripe i know but important to some. cheers

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank john186605
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I selected this hotel on the strength of this website's recommendation, and I was not disappointed. It's within very easy distance of the centre of Paris and the value is very good. The room was quiet and small, but not cramped. I had a small window, with no view, but I did not expect that anyway.

The main niggle is that the cleaning staff does a rush job, apparently. The room was in no way dirty, but almost every day some detail was left unattended (there was stuff of the previous visitor lying in my closet, a "clean" towel was not entirely clean, a laundry basket was left outside my door). The desk staff was very apologetic about this, though, and it did not bother me. Another thing was that my particular room was very warm. That seems like a strange complaint to make when it's freezing outside, yet I switched of the heater during the first night and never needed to switch it back on again despite temperature not going above -4 C during daytime!

In conclusion, this hotel is excellent value for a city trip to Paris.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank LudensPJ
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I visited Paris for New Year's (12/30-1/2). I needed reasonable (budget) accommodations, wi-fi, and more importantly, easy access to/from the airport (via Gare du Nord.)

THE TRIP TO THE HOTEL
It took about two hours from my arrival (1215p) to finally getting into the hotel (nearly 4pm) -- largely because it was the holiday and you were hard-pressed to find a ticket kiosk accepting bills OR credit/debit cards. The change machine wasn't easy to find (despite directions from one of the exchange places that wouldn't give change), but the clank of coins led me to the spot. This hotel is located in between two Metro stops: 1) Strasbourg St Denis and 2) Bonne Nouvelle. From RER B3 (CDG) take the 4 (Bonne Nouvelle) or 9 (Strasbourg St Denis). Strasbourg St Denis is easiest if you plan on taking the train from CDG Airport (RER B3) and connect to Metro at Gare du Nord. Strasbourg St Denis is a big street, lots of activity, lots of cafes, brasseries, restaurants, patisseries, etc. There are two large Arc de Triomphe-looking structures along St Denis (Ports St Denis/Ports St Martin), about two blocks between them. These will be your landmarks, and you will love them for it.

Once you get to the street from the Metro (signs will lead you to Strasbourg St Denis) you can either go up Rue du Fauborg St Denis and turn left at the first street (Rue de L'echiquier), or just walk up St Denis, make a right at Rue d'Hauteville and then a left at de L'echiquier. That said, you are walking distance from so many different things, too many to write or remember but there are plenty of signs to point you in the right direction. Center Pompidou is about 10 mins away. Julien is a Flo Brasserie and if you are willing to pay money for your meals (a luxury I decided to afford myself during the course of my stay) then you have to try it, it came recommended by a couple I met at the theater bistro close by, and they never even made it there. There are also shwarma shops, and since I currently work in the MIddle East, was a comfort food that I indulged myself as soon as I settled into my room.

As for comments regarding the reviews/perceptions of the character of the neighborhood, I'll just say that is a matter of one's level of multi-cultural exposure and familiarity with different groups of people. If you're from an urban, metropolitan area -- Cheers! You'll be fine.

HOTEL AND ROOM
The front desk was courteous, and their english skills range from a variety of levels. English is not the primary language and you will find plenty of people who won't be able to communicate with you. So if a language barrier tends to frustrate you, make the personal adjustment. My room was on the 1st floor, and I was sort of skeptical considering a) likelihood of noise and b) a previous review complained of a burglary. The front desk guy told me the 1st floor was fully renovated and the rest of the floors were older, and "not better." I took his word for it and didn't bother. As for the noise, my window sat on the street, but it was a back street and the only noticeable noise I heard was from people returning from NYE partying. It was manageable. As for possibility of burglary, I brought a laptop which went into my suitcase when I left, and never left the room without locking my bags. There's a safe but I didn't bother. As for noise, most of the guests were senior citizens, so things were reasonably quiet.

When I walked into the hotel I literally gasped. It was totally bare, hot as hell, and the cleaning lady wasn't yet finished, even though check-in was at 2p and it was already 4p. The radiator was not the easiest to operate, so I just had the front desk assist me. The cleaning lady, bless her heart, couldn't speak english and the room was so minimal it didn't need much arranging. Beware: even when I put the "do not disturb" sign up, my room was still disturbed, once with me in it.

The room was a double; there was a closet; a desk with TV on top; the bathroom was clean (amen!) That's basically it. Although I was rarely in my hotel long enough to watch TV, I am a TV person and like watching it before going to bed. There were only 14 to 15 channels, and the only english channel was International CNN. I slept comfortably, though. Because the room was directly in front of another building, I could see into the other building and presumably, vice versa. I had my drapes drawn a lot, and I love natural light.

My room didn't have a mini-fridge, and I don't know if any of the rooms had one. Another convenience of the hotel is its proximity to several Monoprix (supermarket chain) and I bought several bottles of champagne that the bartender kept for me in the bar fridge. That tilted the level of service higher for me -- there were several instances the staff obliged my requests, particularly when I locked my keys in my suitcase (the night before I was leaving!) and they helped me MacGuyver it open.

You are four stops away from the Latin Quarter, and a couple of transfers away from the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee/Arc du Triomphe, Rue de Rivoli, and the Louvre. Nothing takes more than 20-30 minutes.

As a side note:
I tried not catching the train from St Denis if I could help it because I couldn't stand the dudes who approach you and bother you about getting your nails and hair done at their respective beauty shops (primarily during the day). There are a lot of ethnic beauty places along one side of this street, so the plus side is, if you need a salon that specializes in ethnic hair-care this is the place to be! Bonne Nouvelle is gentler station, but keep in mind Line #9 doesn't connect to Gare du Nord or Gare d'L'est.

What I liked best: Free wi-fi! Cheapest price on expedia at the time I made my reservations (flight + hotel).

What I liked least: The room had nothing to offer me. Granted, I intended to be out-and-about in Paris the entire time. If you like to lounge around your hotel like it's a home, then find someplace else. Or, if you like more luxurious surroundings, pay the extra hundreds of dollars for the higher-end establishments. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank Esperanza T
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Just for one night. Rooms much bigger than I am used to find in Paris. Even my single room on the 3th floor was huge. Free wifi, just get the password from the reception desk. Breakfast not to bad for France. Value for money.

1  Thank Michel99
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed September 6, 2009

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Nice sized room, clean and comfortable. Front desk agent was wonderful & very helpful. Close to multiple metro stops. Location was a short walk from main road that had many shops & restaurants. Also close to bank and post office. Hotel offered restaurant and room service. You can take the stairs or elevator to your floor. Elevator is small but I have never seen an elevator in France that can hold more than 3 people at a time so it was to be expected. Stay was great for only my second time in Paris & my husband loved it as it was his first time in Paris. They also had wireless internet at no extra cost which came in handy many times. We stayed 3 nights during the Bastille celebration and were still able to get a great price through the Tourism counter at the CDG airport.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple