“Handy to Gare de Noord”

Ranked #1,521 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Handy to Gare de Noord”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

A standard Hotel, no nice surprises. small lift, thin walls. the rancid cheese on outside ledge did make it less inviting, made a difference once that was discovered and disposed off!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smiliekiwi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 28, 2010

While interrailing through Europe we got stuck at the railwaystation Gare du Nord. Since we had to sleep in Paris for 1 night we decided to stay in a hotel near the trainstation. Because we were lazy and just needed a room as soon as possible (it was 22:00 and the neighourhood didnt feel safe) we ended up at this hotel.

We got a double room at the front of the hotel. In first sight it was an ok room. Outdated but ok. We paid 80 euro for 1 night and than you would expect some cleanness. However the sheets were not clean (the was a dead mosquito on the sheet!). The bathroom was not really clean and you couldnt shower decent because it came down on your head every minute.

It was really warm in the room but when opening the windows it is really loud. The was no airco so trying to sleep wasnt easy. Moreover there were 7 big musquitos in the room which haunted me all through the night.... When killing one they seem to come back wotm more!

The matresses were bad and a fat person laid in mine so there was a big gulch in my matrass....

In short: location ok but somewhat unsafe, rooms are bad, cleaness is not ok. Dont go here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rickgoossens

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Romania
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Not great but not bad either. It makes the price that we paid for. First they gave us a room in the back side of the hotel, with a bigger bathroom, but we asked one in front and that one was with a very little bathroom - but was our choice. The receptionist was very nice, and showed us all free rooms - so we picked from those. Rooms pretty small, but quite clean. We only wanted to sleep there, and have a place to shower, and that's what we got. VERY good relations for transport - a lot of bus lines right in front of the hotel - and the metro entrance right near the hotel door. Supermarket pretty close.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andra_m_10
Wetherby
Reviewed November 16, 2008

It was my college who booked this hotel for a trip for a few day's. We were told which hotel it was and that it had a website. The website looks perfect, makes the hotel look just like a travel lodge. The actual reality is not so. The website is completely wrong. Don't go by any of the pictures on there as they are not photographs of how the hotel looks.

I've included some photos for people to view. Unfortunately some of them would not load. So I can't show you the chair with a stain on it, the worn old dirty pipes under the sink in the bathroom or the scum on the floor next to the toilet.

I was really upset about how the hotel looked. My French friend who used to live in Paris, and was on the trip had already voiced her concern about the area the hotel is in as not being a particularly nice area. It's not but it's ok. It's right next to Gard Du Nord which is fine, so you have plenty of access to get out of there and to see the nice places in Paris.

Our room was fine in size it was just very basic and old. The wallpaper was tired and peeling in places. The wardrobe door was broken. I will say the sheets were clean but I was a little bothered by the bedspread and the beds themselves were a little old and uncomfortable. The room got very hot but if you opened the large windows we were right on the road and traffic and noise does not stop all night. If you like your sleep it's not a quiet area.

The bathroom was pretty grim. The toilet had no back to it so the seat just fell backwards. We had a make-shift shower of a nozzle attached to the taps but no curtain so water would go all over the floor. Glad I took towels as there was nothing really to use in the room. There was only one plug socket which was half way up the wall above the wardrobe to plug the tv into. So it was either tv or hairdryer, or charging items. I took all my valuables with me rather then leave them in my room. The walls are also really thin. We could hear the shower in the next room really loudly, and the flushing of the toilet.

The staff were a little strange. Not the friendly people who speak many languages like it say's on their website. They didn't really bother talking to us. One morning I had gone down the corridor to wake a friend up and was sat outside his door while we spoke and someone from the hotel stopped in the corridor and asked me what was wrong in a very strange and hostile manner.

Breakfast was bad. We only tried it once. The bread and croissants were old and bland...no taste. Very unusual for France. I only drank some orange juice and went out for breakfast instead.

I would not recommend this hotel. If you really want something basic and somewhere just to lay your head then I guess it would be ok. The less time you spend here the better really. I'm sure there are some more cheap hotels that would be a better standard then this one.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SparklyBecca
Derby, UK
Reviewed June 6, 2008

The hotel is very easy to find, just a few minutes walk from Gare Du Nord and opposite a take-away called 'Chicken Hot' which was what I looked for on my way back to the hotel.

Room was a good size for what I paid. Building had plenty of character: slightly slanted and creaky floors- but there's nothing wrong with that. Room was clean, bathroom was clean. Staff were ready to help at any time.

I traveled on my own in Paris, and felt that the area was slightly unsafe. There were quite a few homeless people around, and I saw the police dealing with incidents a couple of times. Nevertheless, I kept my wits about me, was back at the hotel by 10pm and was absolutely fine. Don't be put off by the area, but make sure that you stay safe. The location is excellent, and makes it easy for you to walk everywhere.

All in all, I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Price and location.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
the heart of lithuania
Reviewed December 25, 2006

not bad hotel to stay not long time. it's situated near gare de l'est and a bit far from city center. in that area there are lots of little shops of different things and some places to eat. administrators there are helpful, friendly and pleasant. breakfast you'll eat in the first floor near administration, there's a corner of room with some little tables. breakfast for eveyone is limited and shows a tradicion of french people: little breakfast, big supper, unfortunately, tourists usually need bigger breakfast, specially if you'll come to paris not for work, but for sightseeing, be sure you'll have what to eat something else. for breakfast you get some of jam, piece of white bread and a tasty biscuit, by the way, +coffee .... rooms are ok, not so bad , possible to live, room service clean it up everyday when you go out, change your towel, put you a shower gel and a little soap. two stars.... quality depends of price. not big price - not the best hotel.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank LTUdiamond
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 25, 2006

We agree with the previous estimation. This hotel is very nice. Breakfast is perfect. Receptionists are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2005