“Cheap and cheerful”

Ranked #1,245 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked for 3 nights over Easter weekend - we were surprised at the price but the reviews looked okay and the pictures were too. The hotel is located in a very good location - a few minutes walk to Bastille and the local metro. We managed to walk pretty much everywhere and not use the metro as much. The hotel itself is very basic (the room we had, had a bed, bathroom, table and a hanging space) but you get what you pay for! They did have maids everyday that came and cleaned and gave fresh towels. The breakfast was 6.95 extra but we didn't have it as there seemed to be cheaper alternatives around! All in all I would return and recommend this hotel for a short break away on a budget.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aabb92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Nice little hotel in a good spot close to the metro. Used the metro to get around so location was ideal for us. Some nice little restaurants and patisseries around authentic French not happy with the bathroom too small and shower was not clean was mouldy. Didn't have the breakfast thought it was too expensive. Overall not too bad

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a small, clean and well-run hotel. I was only there overnight, arriving at 23:00 and leaving at 07:00 the next day. I might not want to stay there for several days, but as an overnight stop it was perfect. My room was very small, especially the shower room/toilet, but it was clean and well maintained. I had arrived on the Eurostar and left Paris from Gare d'Austerlitz, and for this the location was near perfect (note that if you take the Metro from the nearest station - Charonne - I saw no ticket machines). I would definitely stay at this hotel if making the same trip in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Graham H
Italy
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The place is actually nice and very cheap, expecially for such a location. The hotel is small, essential, and with all the basic facilities you need. Nice small toilets, confortable beds and flat screen. Location is excellent, few minutes walking to Bastille and all the nice cafès around. I was there for work, and I could walk to the hotel de ville. Only negative point: the room was a little bit noisy. I could hear my neighbors coming back home at night, walking and talking. But yet, if you get nice neighbors then it is perfect. I didn't try the breakfast, which is generally Paris prices. Booking online is more convenient. The personnel at the desk is nice, and responsive. But also very descreete.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rzeszow, Poland
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Hotel Des Arts gives you everything you need. Our room was clean and not so small (being cleaned daily). Very quiet, so good place for rest. WiFi was working well (We stayed on the 3rd floor). The only thing I was lacking in the room - there weren't any pictures on the walls. It would look nice if they were there...
I loved the hotel area. 2 minutes on foot from Charonne metro station, plenty of shops, bakeries, caffes. They have delicious coffee and delicious baguettes:). Staying there, you have an opportunity to observe how living of Paris people look like.
Staff of the hotel was really really friendly!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank greenvolver
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. The first 2 nights we were in a front room, facing onto the street. They were 2 very noisy nights due to the constant traffic on the road outside. This made our days exploring Paris weary as we had not had a good rest. We asked to be moved and the staff member who assisted us was extremely helpful. He moved us into a much quieter room. You could still hear some noise, but nothing like the first 2 nights. We got a much better sleep and were thankful for this good service. The hotel is a good base for exploring Paris and there are lots of restaurants around so you don't need to go far in the evenings for good food. Just make sure you ask for a room at the back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SarahO78
Hednesford, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

First of all, I would like to start with - You get what you pay for! The hotel is classed as 1 star & is extremely cheap, considering its location. Should you require all the 'bells & whistles' of an upmarket hotel, then staying here is probably not the best choice for you.

That said, I found the hotel clean & well presented, the bedding was changed daily as were the towels. The staff were polite, courteous & eager to help, given my limited French.

Bastille is one of the poorer regions of the city, so you must prepare yourself for that, it is also an area that seems to be predominantly occupied by students. However, we never witnessed or was subjected to any intimidation, threats or trouble. Furthermore, the links to the tourist hotspots were accessible via the Metro, in a short space of time.

We never sampled the breakfast that the hotel had to offer, mainly as I enjoy sitting in cafes watching the world go by - the perks of the fantastic 'European Cafe Culture' - & there was plenty of choice in the area surrounding the hotel.

There is a bar across the road from the hotel, which could be a little noisy. However, bearing in mind you are in a capital city (& as a rule, they don't tend to be quite places!) it wasn't a problem.

Admittedly, the rooms are small, but as I was visiting Paris for a long weekend, I found the room suitable for my needs (sleeping & showering). Once again, the rooms were clean & well presented albeit basic. We were given the code for the free WiFi, which I utilised during my stay. I didn't have any problems accessing the internet from my mobile phone.

All in all, there are plenty of cafes, restaurants, shops & excellent links into the tourist areas.

My only concern was that the heating was permanently on in the room, making it uncomfortably warm. However, I didn't alert the staff as it was our last night & had to be up at 4am for my flight!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends