“Great location but bring your ear plugs”

Hotel des Arts Bastille
Ranked #1,263 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. The first 2 nights we were in a front room, facing onto the street. They were 2 very noisy nights due to the constant traffic on the road outside. This made our days exploring Paris weary as we had not had a good rest. We asked to be moved and the staff member who assisted us was extremely helpful. He moved us into a much quieter room. You could still hear some noise, but nothing like the first 2 nights. We got a much better sleep and were thankful for this good service. The hotel is a good base for exploring Paris and there are lots of restaurants around so you don't need to go far in the evenings for good food. Just make sure you ask for a room at the back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SarahO78
There are newer reviews for Hotel des Arts Bastille

Reviewed October 4, 2012

First of all, I would like to start with - You get what you pay for! The hotel is classed as 1 star & is extremely cheap, considering its location. Should you require all the 'bells & whistles' of an upmarket hotel, then staying here is probably not the best choice for you.

That said, I found the hotel clean & well presented, the bedding was changed daily as were the towels. The staff were polite, courteous & eager to help, given my limited French.

Bastille is one of the poorer regions of the city, so you must prepare yourself for that, it is also an area that seems to be predominantly occupied by students. However, we never witnessed or was subjected to any intimidation, threats or trouble. Furthermore, the links to the tourist hotspots were accessible via the Metro, in a short space of time.

We never sampled the breakfast that the hotel had to offer, mainly as I enjoy sitting in cafes watching the world go by - the perks of the fantastic 'European Cafe Culture' - & there was plenty of choice in the area surrounding the hotel.

There is a bar across the road from the hotel, which could be a little noisy. However, bearing in mind you are in a capital city (& as a rule, they don't tend to be quite places!) it wasn't a problem.

Admittedly, the rooms are small, but as I was visiting Paris for a long weekend, I found the room suitable for my needs (sleeping & showering). Once again, the rooms were clean & well presented albeit basic. We were given the code for the free WiFi, which I utilised during my stay. I didn't have any problems accessing the internet from my mobile phone.

All in all, there are plenty of cafes, restaurants, shops & excellent links into the tourist areas.

My only concern was that the heating was permanently on in the room, making it uncomfortably warm. However, I didn't alert the staff as it was our last night & had to be up at 4am for my flight!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer_Birch
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Upon entering the hotel, there were sheets on all of the lobby furniture and the main entrance was torn up. Walking upstairs on the dirty brown carpet did not inspire confidence in the room. Once we entered the room, we found holes in the walls, dirty windows, dirty walls, and so much mold in the bathroom that you could smell it.
We left.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Let's start with the good things. It was very, very cheap. It's a one star, although appears as two stars on certain sites.For one star, it was reasonably nicely furnished. Cheap furniture & fittings, but hey, what do you expect for that price? No closet or cupboard, just a rail with one shelf. Only one bedside table, the bed a little difficult to get around due to the small size of the room. There was a tv in the corner and the window closed properly at least. Important thing when it's minus 10 outside! Electric heater to support the central heating.
The room was fairly clean. The tiny shower had some missing tiles and traces of mould. The room was serviced every day, we got clean towels when we left them on the floor, plastic glasses was replenished too. There was a spare blanket left for us which was much needed in January!
We never tried breakfast, a croissant and a glass of juice for 8 Euros, no thank you! They were happy to fill our flask with hot water every morning so we can make our own tea for the sightseeing Marathons.
They say they have wifi, we got the code from reception, but it didn't seem to work. Not that we tried too hard.
The area is excellent for exploring Paris. There are many nice places to eat nearby. I highly recommend the bakery right around the next corner! There is also shops nearby, the metro is a few minutes walk away, the area feels safe and is clean.
Now for the less good. The advertised price list on the reception desk was really unreasonable - please everyone, never consider paying anywhere near 100 Euros for these rooms! They are tiny, most of them look at the construction sites on the opposite side of the street, or from the upper floors, you can see some roof tops. The lift can barely hold 2 adults, the staircase over the 3rd floor was unlit, and the walls are thinner than a sheet of paper.
We stayed 3 nights, of which the first was ok, having had nobody in the neighbouring rooms. Unfortunately for us, we had guests staying next door the next 2 nights, and oh my, they were very loud and very active, both nights, all night long! The first night there was door banging and loud conversation and laughing, we phoned down and the receptionist came right up to talk to them, they were a bit quieter after this. The second night we had a couple staying next door... well, I never wanted to know this much about somebody else's private life! There was no point in phoning reception this time. We just waited it out patiently. They started over in the morning as we were packing to check out, but we were only laughing. My point is: you can hear absolutely everything from your neighbours, and it can be very annoying when you can't have your rest after exploring Paris the whole day!
To sum it up, if you are on a very low budget, by all means stay here, but I recommend earplugs :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Veronika K
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were greeted by a grinning idiot of a receptionist who was in serious need of training. We have lived in France for 21 years and spent a lot of time in hotels on business but this guy has to have been the worst every encountered. The rooms was the pits. The size of a shoe box which ok you expect 9 times out of 10 in Paris but a shoe box would have been better. There was damp on the wall, stains on the wall, ripped bed covers, no bedside table just holes in the wall where one used to be stains on the floor from a radiator leak, the bathroom was disgusting with dirt and grime, broken ventilator, only one lightbulb working and towels for infants but not adults. The lift (elevator) was the size of a matchbox. There is no reading room/sitting room/ s advertised. The night receptionist was sleeping in that space. On leaving my taxi could not access the street to pick me up as there was a dead body in the street and the police had sealed it off. That should say it all. Do not ever stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank textilesrus
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights in June. The hotel was clean. My room was cleaned everyday. There were NO bedbugs!!! My room looked on to Rue de Charonne so I could see all the locals coming and going. The area Bastille is excellent because you actually feel French as opposed to a tourist. Rue de Lappe is nearby which is a party street full of cool bars. Couldn't speak more highly of this hotel and the area it is in and not to mention the price: €65 a night if you book direct. Definitely be back to the Hotel des Arts Bastille next time I'm in Paris from Dublin, Ireland.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room with window onto Rue Charonne. Great view of local Paris with cafe and bakery across...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Alain H
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Friendly and English speaking staff, Nespresso for 1€ at the reception (very nice upon arrival...) free internet that work, if not as fast as at home, clean, rather modern furniture, no carpets in the room (thanks!) and lots of inexpensive cafés, bakeries, restaurants and bars around the corner. A positive surprise!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo