“Typically rude, atrocious service, and a swindle.”
Review of Appi Hotel

and 1 more site!
Appi Hotel
Ranked #1,650 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Don't mind the sex shops, peep shows and the like lining this section of St. Denis, nor the fact that you'll be glittered into disinterest/ looking askance, or the fact that during my four night stay the hotel had "visitors" in other rooms. What you'll find galling are the rates, which despite giving you some private space isn't much even is you're 5' 4" and 52kg.
I was shunted from the sixth floor after two days into a different room on the fourth, and could only move in after 16:00 that day. After I'd been on my feet for most of the early morning - running the marathon - I didn't particularly enjoy having to visit the Musee du quai Branly, abnormally stretching my visit to several hours, and with an excruciatingly sore right hip.
Once I got back the woman at the evening reception berated me for leaving my one small and one medium bag in the room, even though when I checked in I spoke to the morning guy about my arrangements for the Sunday and he himself had suggested this since they only open up at 9 AM. I wasn't in the mood and incredibly found myself apologizing to this rude woman. Obviously they don't take their roles seriously; plus where others might use spread sheets to store bookings, these people fiddle around with placards.
She might now have an inkling of what carrying two not-so-heavy bags six floors up is like when she becomes hysterical with taking them down two floors. The stairwell is narrow and the steps themselves slope precariously - a bit like the eroded steps up to Sacre Coeur's dome, but even more so.
One final note, my final two nights began with me having to give the room a good airing, flinging the window wide open to deal with the stench of toxic cigarette smoke the previous occupant had been spewing. Plus there are limited bathing facilities. I'd recommend this dilapidated shambles if I detested you. Not a place for couples, singles, the disabled, the aged, children, or anyone with a marathon to look forward to. Hasta la vista !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank EugeneNyunt

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Really central location, helpfull staff and good free wifi after 4pm each day. But very basic, no lift, had to climb 6 flights of stairs with bags. Rooms were ok, however en suite was tiny and a bit grubby. Walls are thin, so bring ear plugs as noisy!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Clarabella262
Reviewed March 28, 2012

its ok if u only need a place to sleep. Great location and good wificonnection

Room Tip: take a room with private bathroom
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janne p
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Basic and enough acomodation in downtown Paris. If you are big this is not your place because of tiny space in bathrooms ans showers, but be aware this could happen anywhere else in Paris but a higher cost.Clean and confortable to rest even for a nap between turist trips, and for sure no bedbugs at all. Close to a market and metro station. I may come back any time I have a thigth budget.

Room Tip: I guess every room has a window so yo feel lees isolated and let some freh iar in, even if the windo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Sergio19
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a very basic hotel! We had two rooms booked, one twin with a en suite, and one double with shared facitilities. Staying 3 nights was more than long enough to stay at this establishment. Our room, the twin, was very small, with a small wardrobe with only a couple of hangers, and a small chest of drawers of which the bottom drawer did not even open. The bathroom was miniscule. You had to twist your body round to sit on the toilet, to avoid whacking yourself on the small sink. The shower was a basic cubicle style, the same general size as any other.
The location is fairly dubious in the red light district. As we were travelling in a group we were not harassed, but I would not like to be in the area on my own during the night time. It is located just round the corner from the Reaumur Sebastopol metro station, less than a 3 minute walk away. If you want a very basic, centrally located base to stay in Paris, at a fairly cheap price this could be the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2012

This hotel was handy but overpriced even for a central arrondissment I feel. The room was filthy, small, cramped, dark and smelly. Do not bother paying extra for a bathroom as it is so small it is useless. Our shower was mouldy and broken anyway, the floor of the room was dirty and sticky, the walls stained and the room was depressing and dark. We did not wish to unpack anything into the filthy drawers so lived out of the suitcase for 3 nights!

We were out late at night in La Marais, which is handy walking distance, and up early sight-seeing so luckily did not have to spend too much time here. The main road is quite noisy, yes there are sex shops and prostitutes but it did not bother us, there are also nice little cafes and bakeries and close to a metro. However I would say pay a little extra and go elsewhere if you are looking for a more comfortable stay, you can get better quality and still stay central. If you are a backpacker or only staying 1-2 nights and don't care so much about your room then it is probably fine for you. I would not go back here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2012

very basic hotel, we stayed there because everything else was booked and we didn't have anywhere to go
entrance from the back alley with hookers and such
it HAS Free Wi-Fi