“Exceeded Expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles

Houston, texas, USA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,286 helpful votes
“Exceeded Expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Recent reviews about certainly gave me pause but I want ahead and booked it for three nights at the end of a three week trip to France. I was generally pleased with the hotel despite some problems which I expect will be quickly ironed out. While I will go into the pros and cons below let me say at this point that I recommend this hotel and think in a matter of months if not weeks it will meet the expectations of those who stay at a lot of Hyatt hotels. I should also like to say that while I working I was a frequent Hyatt guest since I retired a few years ago I have never stayed at Hyatt hotels more that two or three times a year and thus thing my experience at this hotel is not based on upgrades afforded frequent guests of the chain.

The Pros:
1) access to and from CDG airport is very good as the Airfrance bus drops guest off right in front of the hotel. If you elect to cab it you will find, as we did, you will find that it's location on the edge of the 17th will result in a 40 euro fare rather than the 50 to 60 one can easily rack-up going to the 1st, 2nd, or even the 7th or 8th.
2) The yellow line metro is a 100 meters from the hotel and is probably the one most used by tourists and business travels as for the latter it is a direct line to La Defense and for the former to the Louvre and the heart of the tourist area.
3) Our room on the 18th floor had recently been updated and everything worked including the AC which was a blessing given that it was quite warm during the middle of July. The room was smaller than those in most US Hyatts but only marginally and was larger that many in 4 star establishments elsewhere in Paris. We were able to find space for all but one bag in the closet and the bathroom was modern and came with a real bath tub not one of those tiny things, sized for 5 year olds, one sometimes find in Paris. The beds, towels and sheets were all up to Hyatt standards. As noted below the hotels lacks charm but things do work and sometimes surprises, which you will not find at this hotel, are unwelcome.
4) While we did not have a view over the Eiffel tower we were treated to a view, in the distance, of the Sacre Cour and did see fireworks from the room on the 13th and 14th.
5) For those wanting places to eat their are a large number of restaurants near the hotel and if you want a quick and relatively inexpensive breakfast you can find a starbucks and a bakery in the mall attached to the hotel. If you want something better for breakfast the hotel offers a good but pricey option and within a 100 meters you will find perhaps 20 places to eat.
6) The staff are friendly and most perform efficiently. Our room was clean and tidy and the common areas seemed well kept as well.
7) Security seemed good and elevators need a key to operate.
8) the area around the hotel is good and one can walk to the Arc De Triumph in 12 minutes. Friends of our had an apartment, less than 10 minutes walk away, just off the Grande Armee in what I know is a high rent district.

The Cons
1) Checking is did not go smoothly and took what seemed forever but in reality was probably ten minutes. This may have been in part because I had added a day to my original reservation so as to be in town the night before the 14th. The woman checking us in was nice and spoke good english and I assume will quickly become proficient.
2) Checking out was worse than checking in as I had prepaid and they had billed me again making it necessary to process a refund.
3) Some of the hallways have not be ungraded since Hyatt took over and appear worn.
4) Drinks at the bar are very expensive.
5) No irons in the rooms. As others have noted one has to go to one of the lower floors where to ironing rooms are available and probably offer some idea of what the rooms were like before Hyatt renovated them.
6) No charm, at least other than views from some rooms, this is another Hyatt.
7) Local calls were more than I expected and certainly more than other Paris hotels I have stayed in during the past two years.

In short don't be afraid to book this hotel as it is clear that Hyatt is quickly renovating the rooms and common areas, we did not talk to anyone who was in a room that seemed not to have been renovated during our stay, and the staff is trying hard and learning quickly. Expect a 4 star Paris room in a business hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jsthouston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Good things first:
Location - Excellent. Metro,RER and even bus service to CDG airport is at the door.
Breakfast - very good and very good variety.
View - we had a view away from Eiffel Tower but still very nice and exciting.
Now things that are not so good to put it mildly.
Room is by far too small. We constantly had to try not to run into each other and there is no room for suitcases, we had 2 of them as our total trip was nearly 2 months long.
Minibar - present but locked and cannot be opened without presenting one's credit card downstairs. For 5 star hotel it is a bit offending not to trust that little their guests. We did not actually wanted to take anything from the minibar but we needed a fridge to keep medications in. That was quite an inconvenience.
And now about the bathroom. Shower is over the bath that is very high and quite difficult and dangerous to climb into. One day someone will injure him/herself in that kind of bathroom and hopefully will sue the hotel for a squillion bucks. To make it worse there is a curtain that is trying very hard to cling to one's body. Very unpleasant experience.
In my view any hotel that has a shower over the bath should loose 1 star immediately and another half star for having a curtain.
I don't have to mention that the restaurant in the hotel is absurdly expensive but there are lots of bars and restaurants in the area catering for any budget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank levr7
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a conference. Although the facilities at the hotel were generally not terrible, the corridor and the rooms on 22nd floor were pretty bad. The room was extremely dated, and the corridor was, frankly, dirty. The carpets were not clean, which was not surprising, given that a vacuum cleaner took up idle residence on the corridor outside my room for 24 hours. The colour scheme was dreadful, with a combination of strong blues and pruples. This was some kind of early 80's bad dream. I suspect that not all the floors are like this, and I have stayed in hotels and had similar experience (e.g. the Sherraton in Brussels). The food was unbelievably expensive, the drinks were worse. I normally only use these types of hotels for business. If it was my own money, I would avoid like the plague!

Room Tip: Ask which floors look like 1980's hangovers (I was on 22). Then ask to be located on a different...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JohnBoyTKD

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Hotel is nice with small club room which we stayed in. The Staff is fairly ok, this Hotel has been recently acquired by Hyatt and would take some time to reach upto the Hyatt Standards.

However overall a good hotel for Business Travellers.

Room Tip: One of the Best Locations in Paris, however recommended for Business travellers not for Couples.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was our last stop on our three week Europe trip and we were pleasantly surprised to get a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe. We enjoyed the view as much as we could, but especially on July 14th when there were fireworks. It was a stunning view! The hotel is connected to a mall which had some places to grab a bite to eat and the metro station was close. This hotel is set in a cute neighborhood, but not close to many of the touristy sights. We did walk to Arc de Triomphe, which took about 10 or 15 minutes.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rflo03
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family had a wonderful experience at the hotel. Through a mix up (my fault), we were initially placed in connecting rooms which would not accommodate our entire family. When I called the front desk, the problem was quickly remedied; with no extra charges. I booked on hotwire and was never treated as a second class citizen. The hotel is in a great neighborhood, just a short walk to the Arc de Triomph. The staff has been very helpful and the views are amazing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel is amazing in a great and romantic setting, our room was small but cute, really cute! Once we checked in the staff were great, nothing was too much trouble and they also helped us get around.

Once they heard I was getting married we had some fruit in the room and some chocolates WOW

I would defo stay here and so should you, x

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple