“Good value but not great”

Hotel Mary's Republique
Ranked #1,262 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 18, 2013

For the money, you are unlikely to get much more in Paris this close to Bastille, the Marais, les Halles etc. very close to the metro and there is the Cafe du Metro a few yards away for breakfast rather than sit in the hotel dining room which has no atmosphere. I wanted a single room and got one of the smallest rooms I've ever been in. The room was clean, had a television, desk, chair and shelves BUT the toilet was unusable if you need to sit down because they had installed the sink over the top of it. There must be better rooms so DO NOT accept room 52 unless you plan to use the toilets elsewhere . Staff are friendly enough, doors are always open and manned, Wifi didn't work at all when I was there.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LargelyMonk

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Location: Paris is a big city and you should usually travel by metro.
The hotel is located about 20 meters from a station with 2 lines and good connections. 10 minutes by metro to anywhere.
Street is a bit noisy.

Staff: The guy who checked us in is very rude and complained about us breathing on him.
The other members of the staff were very kind and helpful.

Room: The hotel has an elevator - a rarity in hotels in this price category.
Our room was clean, pleasant and above average for the price we paid.
We did get a half torn and dirty towel on our 2nd day, the guy at the reception told us they're not responsible for it because they send it to a 3rd party laundry, they were replaced immediately.
Shutting doors makes a lot of noise.

Breakfast: Too basic for the price, go to a bakery instead (20-30 meters away) and get a lot more for the same price.

Value for money: Very high, more then expected for what we've paid.

Room Tip: The breakfast - a waste of money. Check the towels before using.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Arik L
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at Mary,s Hotel with three friends from 26/09/13 to 29/09/13. We had a most enjoyable stay and I would not hesitate to recommend Mary,s to anyone planning a Paris city break on a budget. We paid £35per night. The rooms were clean and serviced daily. Beds are very comfortable and there is a plentiful supply of hot water. There is TV in each room but no air conditioning A lift but no bar. WiFi works perfectly at reception but is iffy in the rooms. The owner Mohammad and his staff are amazingly helpful so if you have a query and need help just ask they will answer positively and with a smile.
Continental Breakfast is available at 7.50euro. I didn't have breakfast but my friends did and informed me that this is the only weak point in the hotel service and would need much improvement. I saw the small breakfast buffet and was not impressed but don't worry there are lots of good cafes nearby.
Turn right when you come out of the hotel and go to the end of the street, you will see a small café/ tabac shop where you can but a lovely cappuchino for 3 euro. Turn left coming out of Mary,s and you will find a very good café at the other end of the rue de malte. It serves good food reasonably priced and is beside the Oberkampf Metro station.
I found the Parisians to be friendly and helpful when approached but I would suggest you make an effort to learn a few words of French It is only polite and they do appreciate it. Paris is a magical city and if your a culture vulture you will be in heaven here. My first visit but not my last I hope.
A special Thank You to Mohammed and his staff for making our stay in Paris memorable. I enjoyed staying at Mary,s Hotel Hope you do too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank STRAGAR
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Me & my two friends stayed here in August. In a nice location, close to cafes, shops & bars. Very close to Oberkampf metro & easy to get to landmarks. Hotel is very basic, but as a base & for the price its not bad. The staff weren't great, had an issue with our payment but later got resolved. Wifi was very poor. Good place to stay just for a base & somewhere to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SJWright12
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Firstly, the location of this place is great, you can reach all the landmarks on foot, however the staff and the hotel itself is not that nice. It's a kind of place where in the room you wouldn't want to walk barefoot as you're not sure what it can give you... The bed linnen was not as clean as it should be and the pillows were wrapped in the bed sheet and had no pillow cover which was just disgusting. While the room and bathroom were quite spacious ir was not clean at all, it had stains on the carpet, the walls, the linen, in the bathroom and had a bad smell, it also had no shampoos, just a soap dispenser.
The staff was very weird too, they of cource spoke no English, which is unforgiveable in a hotel. We came with a rental car and we asked whether the parking on Sundays is really free (our friends before told us so), the receptionist did not know.... we asked him to google it, he could not find it... He basically could not give us any information on anythig, it was just dissapointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hi,

Just thought I'd write a review for anyone interested in this hotel and things to do in Paris. I went with a friend we are of 23 years of age. We made last min plans so this hotel was ideal. However I was wary of the hotel after looking at the images, but the recent reviews helped as it is not too bad! Personally I have a bit of OCD so was worried about the bed etc, but it was fine, my friend was completely ok with everything, except the size- it was like a bedroom size. So was glad we only stayed at the hotel to sleep in really. Just remember it is a budget hotel so do not expect anything major.
We did not order breakfast at the hotel. The rooms did not have a fridge/kettle/tea bags etc nor did it have a hair dryer (however we did not ask reception for this either). They do provide hot water if you ask downstairs. No AC so the first night was horrid! But ok after this as we managed to wedge the windows open. My friend was not happy with the bathroom size as it was small. On the second day the hotel cleaners came to clean the room at 5pm! Otherwise they came by the early afternoons, a little annoyed about that. Wifi is only accessible per person/device. So I got wifi access for my phone but my friend was not able to, until we explained to the receptionist we did not know this, he was nice and gave this to her. The staff are friendly and helpful, one was a little questionable. There is tourist information accessible in the lobby area and they hold your luggage in the kitchen area until you can check in or if you have a late flight. It does not look like the greatest place to leave your luggage but the receptionist told us on the first day that there is a cctv camera which she monitors.

Oberkampf station is very close to the hotel. We got out of the wrong exit so were lost for a while. When getting off the train exit through the staircase which is NOT narrow, that will lead you to the correct exit and you have to turn left and you'll see the hotel on the opposite road. The area is quiet but there are many restaurants and cafes. You can always request an English menu which is handy. There is a local food store where we stocked up on food-like a co-operative store. Last trains to oberkampf station is at 1am.

You can take a metro straight from the airport to the hotel. It is quite convenient. However we did get bankrupt with train tickets! The airport we got off at was (charles de...) in zone 5 and st marys hotel is in zone 1. So we paid 9.50 euros for the single journey, then had to buy a 1-3 zone travel card for 3 days (they had 1,3 or 5 days and we were staying 4 days-so no other options) and a 1-5 zone travel card for the last day so we could travel in paris then take the train to the airport. In total 50 euros were spend after we landed! But travel card is ideal as you do not have to worry about travel once you are there. The trains are really easy to use if you understand london underground! But there's no "let the passengers off the train first" rule. So every man for himself! Be aware. I really like the location and convenience of everything and people were really friendly around the area. But I would have liked to stay in a different hotel had we researched properly with enough time.

Room Tip: Maybe one facing the street if you want a more lively feel. As we were in the one facing the inner s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of July. We were really impressed with this place considering the price we paid. The location is great, literally a stones throw from Oberkampft metro station. Maid came in every day to tidy and give us fresh towels. Staff on the desk were welcoming and friendly. Only problem was the Wifi didn't reach our room so we sat in the lobby to check emails etc. 9.5/10!

• Stayed: July 2013