“The best place in the world for queues?”
Review of Grand Palais

2-Hour Private Paris Champs-Élysées Walking Tour
Ranked #164 of 2,252 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Grand Palais in Paris is the iconic monument of the Rmn-GP, where we showcase our biggest exhibitions to best advantage in its vast spaces. We also host events organized by others, such as FIAC, Paris Photo, catwalk shows during Fashion Week, the Saut Hermes equestrian event, etc. Culture is represented here in all its forms, attracting over 2 million people each year.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Whether you have bought your ticket in advance or not makes no difference.You will have to queue in the cold and possibly rain.That wastes a lot of the pleasure of beautiful exhibitions!!!!!

2  Thank burgundian9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)
All reviews
"fantastic exhibition"
in 8 reviews
"universal exhibition"
in 7 reviews
"avenue des champs elysees"
"beautiful building"
in 6 reviews
"paintings"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed November 28, 2014

Hokusai exhib was large and very crowded, so took a while to go through. But it was really worth it to see so many of his delicate and gorgeous works up-close.

I was in within a half hour of allotted time on my pre-purchased ticket (which is how it normally works) and quite happy not to have to queue in the loong line for those without tickets.

1  Thank innaMontreal
Reviewed November 28, 2014

This grand building, constructed for the 1900 World exhibition, still hold its magic. There are multiple exhibitions taking place at the same time in the various wings, too bad the line-ups can be grueling, the best way is to take the online “billet coupe-file” to save some of the waiting time. My favourite space is the central Nef. A vast and airy space that is magical during the course of any exhibition or event.

1  Thank notacanada
Reviewed November 28, 2014

Visited the Grand Palais to see the exhibition Niki de Saint-Phalle and must say I'm surprised to see how poorly the Parisians speak English. Even at a tourist attraction with 2 mio visitors a year. I've been a visitor to Paris for 30+ years and it's still the same. I truly do not understand how such a big touist attraction can live with their employees not speaking a proper English. It's such a disrespect to their customers, to the people who want to know more about their city and values. This is 2014 - and something called the globalization arrived, France.

About the whole getting to see this exhibition it's somewhat difficult - but that's the same all over the world. You have to be really dedicated if you want to see some of the big artists. So here we go:
You have to book your ticket in advance online - and will then have it for a specific time a day - eg at 7 PM as we had. To book it online you have to be able to print it out - which means that I went to Fnac - an official ticket office. Here the cashier spoke some English, but not much. She also misinformed me that we didn't have to be at the museum until 7 where the tickets were due - but at the ticket itself they recommend that you come 1/2 hour earlier. The ticket text is in French - I believe you already guessed that!
At the museum you have your bag and body scanned - for terrorist reasons I assume - by someone who don't speak English to you. At the counter where you check your bags/jackets in the young people spoke English very well, even made some jokes to us - in English.
But the rules that you have to obey - leaving your (big) bag there, but NOT any thing of value eg. your phone/purse, which you will then have to carry with you and no bag to keep it in, are not understandable to me. When you have a wardrobe with staff then why don't you want to store my items?
Bought water at the foodshop inside the museum and was let through the entrance with the bottle showing. In the exhibition room a female guard contacted me ONLY in French, trying to explain to me that I could not DRINK from the bottle, but as I understood her, I could carry the bottle. I asked her very nicely and patiently several times to speak English, tried to gues her hand moves and explain in English "you mean that I have to give the bottle to you? Do you want me to throw it out?" - and not a single word in English left her lips. Only pointing her finger at the bottle, shaking her head saying "no-no-no" to me as if I was a child of 5 years. I feel humiliated and disrespected by a uniformed guard talking that way to me and not even in a language I understand very well. That is in my humble opinion not a way to welcome guests at such an institution.

When you buy your ticket, it's only for that one exhibition, which means that you do not get to see the whole building and cannot come back unless you pay to see the others. That was a bit disappointing to me as I read that the building itself is somewhat interesting because of its architecture. By maybe some other time...

The exhibition of Niki de Saint-Phalle was brilliant, and even some of the texts about her and her art there was translated into English. And some of it was still there, even a lot already disappeared from the surface since the exhibition started two months ago.
In the shop where also lots of merchandise such as calendars, notebooks, illustrations, posters and other products. All in French. That's the only reason why I didn't buy any....

3  Thank LisPetersson
See more reviews
Reviewed November 22, 2014

We had prepaid tickets ( the Hokusai exhibition) for entrance at 18.00 h and we were there well before that time.
They kept us waiting outside until 18.20 h (other people who also had tickets for entrance at 18.00 h had to wait even longer)
The rooms were crowded and everybody had to queue in front of the drawings and prints, waiting for the person next to you to move on.
The museum closes at 20.00 h but they started to drive people to the exit at 19.40 h. The museum shop was already closed at that time.
So we were barely able to see the first half of the exhibition.
The works of Hokusai are fascinating but you have to accept being treated like a(cash) cow by the museum people if you want to see them.

1  Thank Guido G

Been to Grand Palais? Share your experiences!