“Hopper - magnificent”

$178.15*
Champs Elysées 2-Hour Private Walking Tour
Ranked #103 of 1,132 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grand Palais in Paris is the iconic monument of the Rmn-GP, where we showcase our biggest exhibitions to best advantage in its vast spaces. We also host events organized by others, such as FIAC, Paris Photo, catwalk shows during Fashion Week, the Saut Hermes equestrian event, etc. Culture is represented here in all its forms, attracting over 2 million people each year.
ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Hopper - magnificent”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I know it is closed now, but somwhere sometime there will be another. Do not miss it if it happens again. I went in early December when the crowds were passable - a friend tells me that later on the exhibit was constantly sold out. Hopper is so refreshing and I had not understood the French connection before, I loved the 'coming together of French and American cultures'.
I am prompted to write this today as I took my poster and prints for framing.
A fantastic exhibition that I will never forget.

Visited December 2012

637 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 248 helpful votes
“great to see!!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Beautiful this building has great architecture, great to see from the inside and outside. Good location very close to Petit Palais.

Visited September 2012
Stenløse
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Conclusive Hopper at The Grand Palais”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This very extensive exhibition of Edward Hoppers workshop and development is differentiere in that,
- it is chronological and starting at his time as an illustrator for magazines.
- it includes works by the very artists that inspired Hopper and puts his inspiration into an understandable context.
- it is very extensive, having borrowed works from from many museums. The exhibition comes through as complete right up to Hopper's last work in 1966 - when he bowed out in an artistic sense with clear reference and gratitude to his wife (his chosen model through the times).
The narrative (cost: 5 € and worth it) that accompanies the exhibition is enlightening.
The only deduction is the number of visitors but this is always a trade-off between financials and reach. The organisers have clearly put together an outstanding collection and this will have been costly. But an exhibition of this scale and quality should also reach a large audience and you cannot hold the works for ever- hence the large crowds.

Thank Nils Holm Jørge... E
Paris, France
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Edward Hopper, Grand Palais, Paris”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I enjoyed the exhibit although I found the space very crowded and I never felt that I could stand back and appreciate the artwork as there was always someone in front of me and behind me, literally pushing me to move forward! There were long lines at the souvenir shop and once again the flow of people did not work. I visited the restaurant afterwards, the food was not bad, the setting okay and the service very good. The washrooms are tiny and the coat check-in could not find our coats! I have been to other exhibits at the Grand Palais which I enjoyed, but this time I was really glad to leave. Pity.

1 Thank asnerek
Tonsberg, Norway
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Wonderful exhibition rooms...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went there for the sole purpose of visiting the Edward Hopper exhibition - and it was absolutely fantastic !! Even though it had been running since early October last year, it was still long queues to get inside if you hadn't been able to book a ticket up front...
Watching the wonderful works of Hopper in such magnificent surroundings as offered by the Grand Palais was terrific. The exhibition also included the famous "Nighthawks" and this saved us a trip to Chicago where this painting's "home" is the Art Institute there....