“good location, easy on budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Stella

Hotel Stella
Ranked #1,372 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Scottsdale, AZ
“good location, easy on budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October 2012. The hardest part of getting there was getting my bearings at the Odeon metro stop. I stayed in room 10 at the back, 2 flights up for 60 euros per night. It was a comfortable and affordable choice in an interesting part of the Latin Quarter. Restaurants, parks and other sights were within easy walking distance as well as the Metro. I had a small bathroom, two chairs, an Armoire and desk! I would stay here again. The restaurant on the street had good food and a bakery a block or so to the left was yummy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DAuntDeb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's a colourful low budget hotel in a rustic and beautiful building in the Quartier Latin.
I spent 3 days in October with a friend in a double room in the 2 floor (advice: don't take heavy luggage, there's no elevator). We spent around 35e per person per night. The room was nice but shower curtains had fungi and the sheets were changed only once... No breakfast and NO WiFi!! However, visiting Paris you don't want to stay much inside anyway and the neighbourhood is marvellous.
We got up in the morning and just walked 5 mins to have breakfast in Rue du Petit Pont with an incredible view of Notre Dame ...or walked a little bit more to Cafe Panis (intersection of Quai Montebello and rue Dante).
If you want Internet, you can go to the Starbucks in Boulevard Saint-Germain (right in front of the entrance of Odeon metro station) or a McDonalds (any in France).
The hotel has this exquisite bohemian style that (in my opinion) makes you forget about the fungi or the simplicity of the service. The lady in the reception is exactly what you want to see if you want to make a movie in that place. She has a very strong character but she's nice, not her dog though.
Right next to the hotel, there's the famous restaurant Polidor. Don't miss it!
And if you get there during the weekend, there're some little bars/pubs all around that area.
Again: this is not a fancy hotel. It's a bohemian hotel in a bohemian quartier. So I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, just to an specific profile of tourist.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Blairsvillle,GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

we stayed 2+weeks in Oct. It was such a great location. Rooms not serviced daily so you sometimes have to ask for a roll of TP but a few dust bunnies are good company! Owner was nice and we enjoyed our stay. Noise from street but when you are worn out from a day on the town it is not a problem. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I might stay here again but you don't realize how important wifi is until you get to Paris. Owner was always pleasant but she didn't go the extra mile to help us plan our long stay (6 days). The place does offer a map of the hotel and nearby amenities. Bedding had a cigarette burn hole.. my partner said that the whole hotel smelled a bit old (someone mentioned it's like your grandma's house) - That was minor for me. Pillow was kind of uncomfortable. It's noisy outside and the windows do an ok job of keeping the noise out. Weirdly, there are lots of sushi restaurants on the street. It's a good base to explore.

Overall it was a great value except for the wifi issue. I thought that since we were the age of students we'd prefer this area but if I came back I'd stay in the older area which has more museums and is busier during the day. It was a far walk to get there, probably about 15-20 minutes. We walked too much in Paris. (An option is to learn how to use public transportation early on. It's great) We stayed in this area for the nightlife but it seemed like all of the street performers and a lot of the action was in the older area. It was easy to find a bar in our area though. There was also a small nightclub.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Hotel Stella can be a reasonable compromise: great location and low price in exchange for dirt, lack of wifi, and miscellaneous annoyances. We were there twice for a few days, two different rooms. Location is the prime attraction: a few blocks from the corner of St. Michel and St. Germain, Latin Quarter, Jardins de Luxembourg, Rue Mouffetard, the Pantheon, Notre Dame, etc. Great smells emanate from the restaurant beneath. Cool views out the front. Inside it's funky and authentic, with wood beam ceilings. The hosts are nice and businesslike, not always instantly available, but we didn't have any serious delays. They speak enough English to get by, and will speak French if you want. All that -- even the annoyingly yappy little dog -- is great for creating an authentic feeling. Now for the negatives: 1) What annoyed me most was the lack of wifi. We travel ultralight. and part of that program is to be unencumbered by books and maps, using the smartphone at the start and end of the day for research and loading in maps. I found it an incredibly aggravating waste of time to be cut off entirely at night and then have to endure Starbucks (nearest & best signal we could find) in the morning. How much do you pay for every waking hour in Paris? I figure something like $20-40. (No kidding. Do the math.) So in this sense, I figure the lack of wifi cost me at least $50 a day, but I admit the location saved us a similar amount. I spoke to them about it and they were adamant: if they had wifi, students would get the password and hang out in the stairway. End of story. You and I know there are technical fixes for this, but it didn't seem worth trying to convey this to them. Maybe you can do it. The place fills up pretty well as it is. 2) My gal was most aggravated by the lack of cleanliness -- not bad on the bachelor-pad scale (hey, I'm a guy!), but she was distinctly not amused. We didn't end up with crabs or anything, and we've definitely stayed in dirtier places. 3) Minor annoyance: One room faced the street -- great In the day but when the bars let out on Saturday night it was noisy for a few hours (nothing truly alarming, just hormones + alcohol), quieting down around three a.m. Sunday night no problem. The other room faced the back: quiet, but lousy view. If there's a next time, I'd take the view and tolerate the noise. I will probably try a different cheap hotel next time I'm in Paris.

Room Tip: rooms on the street have better view but are noisy when the bars let out.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed here for 10 days in mid September 2011. I cant say it was a clean place. blanket and beds were not in a good situation. But it was good for price since it is a one star hotel. It was fairly quiet place. Madam Anne, the owner, was a respectful, kind and friendly lady. Moreover the location is great, and you have access to many nice places in Paris. I will absolutely choose to stay there again if i go to Paris.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ariansman
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel for one week and it was a pleasure for us . It's just about, if you'd like to get a real feel of Paris in an authentic family hotel, classic parisian building, this is for you : Oh, my goodness , the beams in oak ! The rooms are large, with large windows . It's clean, cosy and so romantic !
The location is excellent - Very nice neighbourhood - Metro - Cinemas - Restaurants
For us, this was the perfect hotel.
Will definitely stay here , again, for our next trip to Paris.
Lovely hotel - Top location

Room Tip: Choose room 16 - the best (large suite - sunny - with authentic beams in oak)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family