“Beautiful Hotel in a Great Location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Paris - Vendome

The Westin Paris - Vendome
Ranked #409 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful Hotel in a Great Location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2006

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location in Paris. We stayed for five nights and our room had a view of the gardens and Eiffel Tower. One night, my husband and I sat on the terrace that was attached to our guestroom and waited until the lights of the Eiffel Tower lit up the dark skyline. Our room came with the buffet breakfast in the restaurant and the service was incredible. There was also plenty of delicious food. The staff was very friendly and we recommend the hotel to anyone who is going to stay in Paris! The guestroom had air conditioner that worked well and all the amenities of the Westin- the heavenly bed, bath, and fitness center. The hotel was decorated well and the lobby was beautiful with hanging chandeliers and a wonderful ambiance. We loved it!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

We booked a Eurostar package for end May long weekend to include Eurostar fare from London, bed and breakfast. Such good value that we were nervous that we might be disappointed especially as we were celebrating our 25th anniversary. The hotel exceeded all expectations. Unobtrusive grandeur, extremely helpful staff especially at breakfast, room very clean with comfortable bed and small luxuries. Room quite small, but this is Paris and our view, as expected given the price was not of the Eiffel tower.
Very good location, walking distance to Louvre and Orangerie - a must see!.
We can also recommend a restaurant 'La Sourdiere' at 4, rue de la Sourdiere for dinner.

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank Anna99
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

I just got back from 6 days at the Westin Paris – Jun 06. There were three of us, my mother, my daughter and myself. We shared a Junior Suite - - one double bed and a rollway away and had plenty of room. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I was a little worried because they went from very good to bad. We couldn’t have been happier with the Westin. It is definitely an older building but so are most of the buildings in Paris. The staff couldn’t have been friendlier or more helpful. As a matter of fact, I had requested a suite with a view of the Eiffel Tower. When we arrived we were told that they had reserved the suite we requested but that they needed one more hour to have the room cleaned. That was no problem because they held our luggage and we walked around the neighborhood a bit to start acclimating ourselves. We came back in one hour and our room was ready. The room had a “walkout” balcony, meaning that you couldn’t sit at a table or chair out on the balcony. However, the balcony had a fantastic view - - the Eiffel Tower in one direction, the Tuillerie Gardens directly across from our room and the Louvre to our left. The view couldn’t have been better!

As I mentioned previously the staff was exceptionally friendly and all-in-all the French people were also wherever we went. Honestly, I didn’t expect so much friendliness and had even told my daughter (her first visit) not to expect it. There were of course a couple of people that weren’t so friendly BUT you get there anywhere you travel. We were definitely surprised. Also, even though my French is very limited I was able to use a couple of phrases and I think that was appreciated.

The price from Charles De Gaulle airport to the Westin Paris should be around $52-$54 Euros although it cost us around $57 since we had quite a few pieces of luggage. That seemed very reasonable though because I had expected to pay $80 Euros from what I had read on the internet.

The metro is relatively easy to use after you get the hang of it. Have the concierge help you with a map. We also walked and walked and walked some more (evidently that’s how the French stay so thin) but we know we walked off everything we ate! Another important thing to note is that the French eat dinner very late. Don’t expect to eat before 7pm and usually much later. One time we even ate dinner at midnight. It doesn’t even start to get dark until 10pm and when the summer solstice occurs (21 Jun) it won’t get dark until 11pm. There are plenty of people out on the streets until midnight. We usually ate lunch around 12pm, then a snack around 4-5pm and dinner around 9pm. Be prepared to pay BIG bucks for food. A soda (8-12oz bottle) is anywhere from $4 - $7 Euros and they don’t refill. I’d have to say that the food was the most expensive thing on our trip. Taxis are basically the same you’d pay in NYC.

We took a Da Vinci Code Tour and Segway Tour (really fun) through the Classic Tours company. Both tours were great. The Da Vinci code tour was $20Euros/person and the Segway Tour was $70 Euros/person(definitely worth it).

Shopping in Paris is incredible although expensive. There are so many stores. It was a shopper’s paradise!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2006

The Westin is located right at the corner of the Tuilleries park, so is a short walk to all the major sights. The location was a major selling point, hard to match. The lobby is fairly nice and it has a very comfortable bar for late night drinks or coffee. The rooms were suitable --your standard nice European hotel rooms, not as big as in American hotel, but kept clean and nice, and the bed was better than the cheaper variety that is too often the norm on the Continent. We had a fine time there, had no complaints, and were glad with our choice.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank TravelerArlington_VA
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

The Westin Paris is a 2-star experience for a 4-star price.

As long as you know that going in, you should not be disappointed. I'm sorry I didn't heed the reviews that warned that this hotel was in desperate need of renovations and did not merit its 4-star reputation. I have only myself to blame, but I hope this review will at minimum make future potential Westin Paris guests go into a booking there with their EYES WIDE OPEN.

My wife and I have been to Paris 9 times, and that was easily the worst hotel in which we've ever stayed in Paris. We've stayed in little 2-stars that cost us 100 Euros a nite (like the Hotel Palais du Bourbon on rue de Bourgogne in the 7th, superb value for the money), in quaint 3-stars like the Parc St. Severin (superb!), and we've stayed at the Sheraton Prince de Galles (5-stars) on Avenue George V, which merited its 5 stars in every way. Each hotel completely met our expectations. Let's face it, you expect more from a 4 or 5-star hotel than you do for a 2-star hotel, but the bottom line is that one should always receive what one pays for.

Our stay at the Westin Paris was June 1 thru June 6, 2006. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and for 64,000 points, I booked the Westin Paris, when I could have had the Sheraton Prince de Galles for the same price. I chose the Westin due to its superb central location, near the Louvre, the Marais and everything that we love about Paris.

We've stayed at the Sheraton Prince de Galles, same price/same points redemption, and it was wonderful. The Westin was not. Six months after affixing the Westin nameplate to what had been the Intercontinental Hotel, we saw no signs that significant renovations were being conducted to a physical plant that had been visibly allowed to deteriorate badly by its previous owners.

I knew we were in trouble when we arrived and sat down on a couch in the front lobby and I saw the fabric had frayed on all the piping on that couch. How hard is it to put new furniture in the front lobby?

I had asked my Platinum Concierge representative a few days in advance to inquire about getting us early check-in, but when we arrived at noon, our room (a junior suite on the Club Floor) was not ready. It was still being occupied by another Platinum member who we were told would not be leaving until the maximum 4PM checkout time allowed for Platinum members. The woman at the Front Desk promised us the room would be ready at 5PM. To my surprise and the hotel's credit, they offered to allow us the use of a small guest room to shower and nap in, a "waiting room" until our room was ready. We were grateful for this, and it was, again to the hotel's credit, perhaps the single most generous gesture I've ever seen a hotel provide for a guest, especially since they were under no obligation to give us the use of such a room in advance.

Once we saw the "waiting room," however, we felt very sorry for whatever person actually would be paying money for it. It was the smallest hotel room I'd ever seen, without exaggeration. Approximately 10 feet by 10 feet, it had a double bed (not a queen, and most definitely NOT Westin's famed "Heavenly Bed" in terms of comfort), a small chair, a small table, and a TV. There were no closets, the suitcases had to be set on the floor in front of the bed in the small walk area between the bed and the bathroom. In place of a closet or a bureau with drawers, there were two mirrors that hid small drawers built into the wall in which you could store your clothes. The chair and the table were wobbly, beat up, chipped paint, something that you wouldn't have in your house. The wallpaper was really old, and worse, in the bathroom, it was peeling badly. This was a room that would shame a 2-star hotel, and someone was going to be paying big money for that room later that day.

But we were still grateful for the chance to recuperate from the grueling flight to Paris from Montreal, and since we weren't spending more than a couple very short hours in that room (so we thought), the size and condition of the room didn't matter to us. After refreshing ourselves, my wife and I went out for a bit of a lookabout thru the Tuileries. We returned to our "waiting room" at 5PM, I called the Front Desk as instructed, and the person told me the woman in our junior suite had departed even later than planned, at 4:55PM, and that housekeeping was already working on it and would have our room ready for us no later than 5:45PM, and he would call us in our "waiting room" as soon as it was ready.

Foolishly, I believe him, and so we killed 60 minutes waiting for the call that never came telling us our room was now ready. At 6PM, I called the Front Desk again, and I asked to speak to the Duty Manager. He informed me that our room was still not ready, that housekeeping had just started cleaning our room, and that it would be 7:15PM before the room would be ready. He disputed that anyone on the Front Desk had told me it would be ready prior to 7:15PM, demanding that I produce the name of the person who "allegedly" had told me that. Of course, I did not have a name to give him, never suspecting I would be lied to about the room's readiness. He also said that while he regretted the inconvenience to me, surely I would understand that they could not remove the belongings of another Platinum member even if she had violated the 4PM late checkout policy. Given that explanation, here's a word to the wise Starwood Platinum members: 4PM late checkout actually apparently means checkout anytime you want, the hotel won't do anything to force you out of your room.

After hanging up with the Duty Manager, I decided to walk to the room that was allegedly being readied for us. I had a sense that someone was being less than forthright with me. You know the rest: there was no one there from housekeeping. The room that "housekeeping was already working to clean up" had seen no one at all since the very late-departing Platinum guest had abandoned it. I knocked on the door, just to see if anyone was inside. No answer. And then, from down the hall, came a 2-person housekeeping crew. One of them spoke English, and she told me she was sorry the room hadn't been cleaned, but that the hotel had a big group dinner that evening that required a lot of set-up, and many of the housekeeping staff had been diverted away from their regular duties to do set-up for the dinner. I thanked her for the explanation, and went back to the waiting room. At last, one truthful person!

7:15PM came and went, and finally at 7:30PM, I called the Duty Manager again to inquire about the status of the room, since he had once again failed to call us. He said it was indeed ready, and that we could check in, a bellman would be up with the keys. At last he arrived, and at 7:35PM we finally walked into our Club Level junior suite.

Once again, what greeted us was old, wobbly, paint-chipped furniture, a soiled couch, frayed carpeting, stained wallpaper in the bathroom, and peeling paint/rotted wood railings around the window railings. And there was no Heavenly Bed, either, just a hard mattress without an ounce of comfort, and horrible foam rubber pillows. It was a fairly large room, but absolutely no renovations had been done to this room either.

This is the only Starwood hotel I've ever stayed at where if you were on the Club level, you still weren't allowed in the Club Lounge. Instead, I learned via the internet just before we left that the Westin Paris hotel management had changed its policy and was charging 50 Euros A DAY to get into the Club Lounge, regardless of my Platinum status.

The highly touted "piano bar" noted on the Westin Paris website was closed on Saturday night (!!!), the website says the pianist entertains Thursday thru Sunday from 10PM to 1AM! Instead people were told they could get drinks in the indoor courtyard, where the piano player quit at 10PM. It was obvious to us that the hotel management had decided not to invest money in staffing the bar properly or paying the piano player, even if it was an advertised feature on the hotel website.

The Westin Business Center was inoperative much of the time we were there. There were 3 computers in the Center: one was locked for use only by the Hotel Administrator; one computer was broken with a hand-written paper sign placed over the keyboard saying such, and one computer was available to hotel guests. I never was able to find time on that single computer without enduring at least a half an hour wait in line with other guests to use it. On one of the days we were there (Sunday), none of the computers were operative.

The final coup de grace was our checkout. We left at 5:30AM to get on an early flight home, and the front desk presented me with a bill for 448 Euros. I had been charged 90 Euros per nite for the room, even though I had redeemed 64,000 Starwood points for 5 nites. After doing some research, and checking with the manager, the Front Desk person crumpled up the bill, said it was all taken care of!

Well, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! It took some convincing to get the Front Desk person to give me a receipt showing a zero balance, but I got one (sort of). And I'll be watching my credit card statement closely to see if the 448 Euros shows up charged to me anyway.

My wife and I had a great time in Paris in spite of this hotel. We're feeling much abused by the Westin Paris that we would waste 64,000 points for such an inferior experience. Don't be fooled by the pretty pictures on the Westin Paris website. This is a 2-star experience at a 4-star price. We know from practical experience that the exact same 64,000 points expenditure at the Sheraton Prince de Galles would have produced a marvelous 5-star experience.

17 Thank signothetimes53
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2006

Just returned from four nights at the Westin Paris. The front desk personnel are great, very warm, friendly and helpful, especially Abi, who helped us secure an upgrade to a view room. The concierge efficiently confirmed our reservations to two three-star restaurants and provided helpful directions and maps. The breakfast buffet is excellent (ours came with the room), and the restaurant staff is efficient. And what a room -- a world-class view from our balcony directly over the Tuilleries Gardens with a 180 degree panorama from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe and everything in-between, including the Eifel Tower. The view at night is especially spectacular. The room was large, well furnished and very comfortable, and the flat-screen TV is a nice touch. The drains in the tub and sink and rather slow, but I suppose that's to be expected for the age of the hotel; the air conditioning worked flawlessly. The hotel is well situated on the rue de Rivoli and rue de Castiglione, just a block from the Place Vendome and a ten minutes' walk to the Opera Garnier. This is my new Paris home. A great hotel with a great staff.

4 Thank Explorer777
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2006

Just returned from my 5th trip to Paris where I decided to stay at the Westin because I had stayed there 8 years ago when it was the Intercontinental and couldn't believe how old and outdated the hotel looked. I thought that the Westin chain would've remodeled and upgraded by now, but the 2 suites that we had were horrible. While the location of the hotel is great, I would never stay there again. Our room had a wonderful view of the Louvre and Eiffel Tower, but that's all the positive things I can say about this hotel. The furniture in the room was so old and stained that I didn't even want to sit on the chairs and the shower ceiling was peeling off right on top of our heads. The door leading to the outside hallway squeaked so loudly that we were afraid to come in too late at night or we would've woken everyone on our floor up. The housekeeping left us 2 clean towels a day (we were there for 5) and we would sneak off more clean towels from the cart that housekeeping had sitting in the hallway while they cleaned other rooms if we needed more. The buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant was okay, but at an astronomical price.
All in all, a regretable experience.

• Stayed May 2006