“A Cynical Money Machine”

The Westin Paris - Vendome
Ranked #490 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Where do you start- firstly don't stay here! 597 € per night- that is nearly $900 per night so you would expect luxury, and it is nothing better than a cramped budget hotel. I stay over 150 nights a year in hotels all over the world and this has to be the worst value for money ever- a wardrobe with one door so you have to get inside to access the left side- bathroom that is so small if you drop anything and bend over you bang your back against the door. The bathroom amenities are rubbish, soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion- that's it- remember it is $900 a night. Aircon that is noisy and doesn't work so you have to leave the window open and all you hear is traffic constantly. Graciously they give you a free bottle of water per night and a note saying rehydrate Westin style- 330ml between two people wouldn't rehydrate a mouse- I could be cynical and say they want you to drink a bottle of €9 water from the mini bar instead but I can't believe anyone would be so crass!
Don't even think of a drink in their bar, vodka and tonic is €21 and I had a bill for €130 for 4 drinks and they even charge a cover charge/ snack charge- again we are not talking The Dorchester. If you want to spend this level as I did please feel free but do not have any expectations- it is a dreadful disappointing place.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
4  Thank Glenn E
Andres L, Director of Rooms at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Dear Glenn E,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us.

Thank you also for contacting our Duty Manager as we want to discuss further about your experience.

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we definetely will look into the comments you expose on your review.

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (3,735)

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I took my mother to Paris last weekend to celebrate her 70th birthday.
We needed somewhere very central so as to cut the amount of walking down to a manageable amount and certainly I give the Westin full marks for where it is: Directly opposite the Jardin des Tuileries and just a short walk away from the Place de la Concorde.
Another reason for choosing the Westin is that as an SPG Gold I normally get treated a bit better than the other major hotel chains.
I used Uber to travel in from CDG - this was much easier than i had feared given the recent news about moaning taxi drivers. Very polite driver, nice car (as you would expect) and a swift run into town on a Friday afternoon (no more than 30mins) all for EUR70.
The hotel entrance is a little understated but it opens out into a lovely courtyard which has a bar.
The check in was functional. The SPG Gold/Platinum check in is actually tucked out of sight, so i missed that when i first turned up.
Biggest let down of the whole trip was to be told at reception that the Deluxe rooms i had booked and paid for had been downgraded.
I wouldn't normally be so annoyed, but for the fact that it was a special trip and I had even bothered to email the hotel manager in advance to mention the fact.
Granted the hotel staff were very apologetic - but the reason given - namely, that a corporate conference (thank-you CEOCIRCLE for taking my rooms!) had made a mistake in their booking - just underlined my impression that this is very much a corporate hotel.
The breakfast in the hotel was lovely and the rest of our stay was very special.
Next time i'll try the W though!

Tips -
Restaurant: Had an awesome meal at Le Jules Verne. Don't even think about the cost. Just enjoy it.
Getting around: Uber is very efficient in Paris. Also the Batobus is an easy way to hop on and off at various sights.
Sights: May 17 was the Nuit des Musees. So we had a late night run round the Louvre which was very different, especially after the Michelin tasting menu and wine!!

Room Tip: Try to get the room you booked! Also the lower floors suffered from noise from the road. My superio...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Andres L, Director of Rooms at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear AJRUK1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

I regret that you did not fully enjoy your experience. I'm very sorry about the issue you mention that we are analyzing with the teams. Please be assured that this is an extremely unusual situation.

Thank you for being a loyal SPG Gold member, as you know you make part of our most valued guests.

We note that you will try the W next time, we hope that we will have at least the opportunity to welcome you in our courtyard bar La Terrasse.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

The hotel is located right on Rivoli. Its walking distance to the Louvre and Place Vendome is 2 blocks away. In terms of location its fantastic. We also got a very good rate for Paris during our stay. The bathrooms are a bit dated and the restaurant was very average. However, there is a great breakfast spot 20 feet away called Angelina.

I would come back just for the view from our Room--but you need to request an Eiffel Tower View Room.

Room Tip: Get an Eiffel Tower Room View
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baci2003
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Very nice hotel with high ceilings and great service. It is very close to a metro station to get you everywhere. Right across from the park. We didn't spend too much time in it and so I can't comment on any amenities.

Room Tip: I think some rooms may have noise from traffic, we didn't as we faced a side street. Our room ha...
1  Thank Joan G
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

THIS IS AN UPDATE TO AN EARLIER POST I ASKED TRIP ADVISOR TO REMOVE SO THAT I COULD UPDATE! We had just arrived in Paris from a two week trip in Istanbul and London. ( my partner had been in Istanbul for 6 weeks already). In Istanbul we stayed at the Le Meridien (fabulous) and in London we stayed at the St Ermins (amazing) so our expectations for the Westin Vendome were high. Upon arrival we noticed that there was different treatment for platinum vs non platinum member(we are gold members). I brushed it off and told myself ..maybe its the french way lol. We were on our honeymoon so we both were excited about the stay. When we arrived at the hotel, the lobby was beautiful and we expected the room to be so too. Well... my partner had upgraded our room, but we could not tell as it was very basic. Ontop of that the room was not cleaned well (so I whipped out my chlorox wipes as usual) and the room smelled. The hotels solution was to bring us a loud air purifier. REALLY!!! This was not the way to start off our stay. After contacting the front desk (who were of no help), starwood and tripadvisor the hotel contacted us to try and rectify the situation. The manager contacted me and apologize profusely. We were upgraded to a junior suite and sent these amazing macaroons, champagne and a handwritten note from the manager. We truly appreciated the extra attention we recieved and their willingness and eagerness to ensure that our stay was memorable. The junior suite was GORGEOUS! ( hermes toiletries). The room service was ok and the bar was standard. The location is prime!! Our stay ended on a high note. Thank you Westin Management for caring about your guests. Would I stay again...we will see :-)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCLady85

Dear DCLady85,

Thank you for your second review and this time a much positive one!

We are delighted to know that we could recover your confidence after the initial issues you encountered.

It was a pleasure to have you at the hotel and we definetely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed at the Westin for three nights, the location is unbeatable, just only steps away from metro and le Louvre, staffs at the check-in are helpful and attentive, the check-in was quick.

The rooms are pretty small but we have been given a very nice room on the forth floor with a view overlooking the tuileries and of course the Eiffel tower.

The room features are as much as you can expect from a good brand like "Westin", only curious that they provide a complementary "Evian" water - but that was just one time offer, the next day there were nothing. but that's not a big deal for us.

We had lunch and dinner at the bar, the food was very nice and the wine was not expensive at all. Staffs are very attentive and helpful as ususal.

Overall, it was a great stay in the heart of Paris.

Room Tip: Any rooms on the forth floor that face to the street has a great view. The rooms on the fifth floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear DioEkapoj,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your compliments about the location, the staff and the bar experience.

We hope to see you back when your plans will bring you to the City of Light!

Be well,

Reviewed May 15, 2014

This Westin has the potential of being a great hotel, but if it were not for the location, it would not even be on the radar of most savvy travelers. The problem is that beyond the nice lobby, the property looks tired and in need of renovation. Our room was nice but old and in urgent need of a new carpet.

During our stay, the check-in and check-out staff was friendly, welcoming, and prompt. However, bellboys were nowhere to be found upon our arrival. A big miss for a hotel of this caliber.

Overall the property restaurants were nice and the menu selections were good, not great, just good. But the service was not what you would expect from a Starwood property. For example, plates were not picked-up at all after finishing a meal, even though more than one waiter would walk leisurely by the table several times.

Would I return? Maybe, but I would manage my expectations to avoid disappointment.

Dear Aviatorpepe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

Thank you for your compliments about the staff but I regret that you feel that the hotel is old.

We take note of your comments about the service at the restaurant that I will share with the Food & Beverage Director.

We definetely want to see you back at our property so we would have an opportunity to make you live a real Westin Experience and be your home when your plans will bring you to the City of Light.

Be Well,