“No regard for customers”

The Westin Paris - Vendome
Ranked #479 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 7, 2013

First let me say this hotel is in a great location, we were right in the middle of everything. Other than that the treatment of the hotel staff was horrible. We were staying at this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary. I had booked one night under its own reservation and another 6 under a separate reservation. i emailed ahead to assure the reservations would be connected I received an email stating no problem all was fine. On our 2 day in hotel we were locked out of our room and forced to go back down to check in, we were told we would need to move out of our room. We explained already started 2nd reservation and had an email from manager. Our reservation wasn't the problem the hotel wanted us to pack up a day before leaving so they could put a group together. Seriously as an SPG member you couldn't put everyone somewhere else? The staff was rude acted like our problem. The staff then locked us out of our room on 2 additional occasions to force us to go down and speak with them. I have never seen anything like the treatment this hotel imposed on us. I will never stay here or recommend this hotel again. I will be writing to Starwood as well as on this site. Paris itself is a wonderful city and the people were wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Terry S
Julien K, Directeur général at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Terry S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Westin Paris-Vendôme.

I read carefully your comments and I sincerely regret your unfortunate experience concerning your wedding anniversary and your room reservation. Please allow me to follow up on this important issue. To do so, I would like to talk to you personally, so if you would be so kind to write an e-mail to my personal assistant stephanie.leboulanger@westin.com and tell me how I can contact you, it will be my pleasure to return your message with a personal call or e-mail. May I take this opportunity to assure you that our hotel always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service.

Terry S, I remain at your disposal if you need any further assistance when planning your next trip to Paris. We look forward to welcoming you at The Westin Paris-Vendôme and being of service to you on many occasions.

Kind Regards,

Julien Kiefer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

My fiancee and I came to Paris to see a concert of one of our favorite artists. We chose the Westin based on its location to the venue (3 blocks away.)

We were pleasantly surprised at the presentation of the hotel. The staff at the hotel and concierge we fantastic in welcoming us and our dog. The rooms were okay, definitely not 4 star as billed, but still comfortable.

Biggest complaint.... Room service was way over priced compared to quality. We ordered two pizzas before we went out for the night. We thought we'd get some gourmet food, but when it came it was microwaved pre-made food that lacked flavor for the almost €30 we paid.

While this hotel is convenient, it is overpriced and average. Look elsewhere first.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dgedutis
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel is amazing. Excellent location to all of the site, restaurants, shopping, tours, etc.
Staff were so friendly and accommodating.
We had 2 groups arrive in Sept and every person had outstanding service!
Thank you also to Joel for the great help with our group :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We spent two nights at the Westin Vendome in Paris and enjoyed every minute. We were traveling with our daughter and reserved a junior suite with the intention of having her sleep either on a pull out sofa or cot. The front desk staff were excellent and were able to secure a junior suite with two beds to make it more comfortable for all of us. This meant waiting until later in the day to secure the room but we had no issue with this. They provided complementary beverages at the bar as well while we waited. The gym was clean, easily accessible with new equipment. We really like the coffee bar in the hotel lobby which gave us the option of buying a coffee and croissant quickly rather than have a full breakfast or search for a cafe close to the hotel. There is a park directly across the street which was perfect for an early morning run. We used the valet parking and it was fast, convenient and reasonably priced for a major European city. If you like tea bring your own and the housekeeping staff will happily set you up with a hot water kettle and cups.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have stayed at this location many times, dating back nearly 20 years to when it was originally an InterContinental. The location for us is terrific - close to multiple metro lines and within walking distance of most areas in central Paris. But we have 2 gripes. First, the room lighting is extremely poor. Each lamp on the night table appeared to be the equivalent of a 25 watt incandescent bulb (the additional "adjustable" spot lamps on each side were nearly useless). What I find so amazing is that these are incandescent lamps and if the hotel just replaced them with fluorescent bulbs of the same wattage they would put out 4 times as much light! A no-brainer. Our second gripe is that although the room interiors have been refurbished the heating/AC/plumbing systems are often going awry. The heat was not working in the first room we were given and we waited nearly 2 hours in the room as the engineer tried to fix it. He said it was fixed but we soon learned it was not fixed. They offered to bring up a space heater (you have to think twice about staying in a hotel where rooms around you are being heated by space heaters - think fire hazard). The second room was fine temperature-wise, but a few nights later the hotel turned off the hot water throughout the property to fix a leak. We've had other such problem over the years - nothing really major, just annoying. The front desk service, however, was great as well as the concierges.

Room Tip: Best rooms overlook the Tuilleries with a view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jjder8
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Hotel is at a great location. We arrived quiet early, and the hotel was very kind to give us the early check-in as the room was ready.

The room size was very small, however this is a common thing in all hotels across Paris.

Food & Beverage is very expensive, but, then its Paris, so expected. We ordered Breakfast in room on all days, it was ok. Ordered Pizza for dinner and it was a real disappointment. Just a heated frozen pizza, no taste and poor quality.

The service at front desk was pretty good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FunTraveller05
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I should have paid more attention to previous reviews, but I really wanted to use my Starwood points during my stay in Paris and the W required far more points. That being said, I would not stay here again until the hotel has undergone extensive rehab.

Pros:
As has been mentioned, the location is great. Much of Paris is walkable from this location and the metro is very close.

Although some previous reviews have knocked the service, we found everyone to be very friendly and never had an issue with any of the hotel employees.

Cons:
Westin Paris - how many negative reviews are required until you put some money into your hotel? Yes the entryway is beautiful and the outdoor sitting area is very quaint, but the entire lobby smells like mildew and the carpets are all stained. We stayed in a suite and the carpets were very dirty and paint was chipping everywhere. In the bathroom of the sitting room there had been significant water damage which had not been properly remediated and this led to peeling paint and mold.

We ordered room service twice during our stay (both times out of necessity as we were travelling with a young child who was jet lagged and then sick) and both times the food was terrible and terribly expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelenvy76
Julien K, Directeur général at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Travelenvy76,

I would like to thank you for comment on our staff friendliness and for your positive note on our location. On a different note, I am sorry to read your disappointment on our facility and I would like to apologize for the experience of our room service. I would like to talk to you personally in order to identify the suite you stayed in and explain you our maintenance strategy, so if you would be so kind to write an e-mail to my personal assistant stephanie.leboulanger@westin.com and tell me how I can contact you, it will be my pleasure to return your message with a personal call or e-mail.

Travelenvy76, I remain at your disposal if you need any further assistance when planning your next trip to Paris. We look forward to welcoming you at The Westin Paris-Vendôme and being of service to you on many occasions.

Kind Regards,