“Not too happy, but will give it another chance”

The Westin Paris - Vendome
Ranked #472 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Not too happy, but will give it another chance”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I, along with another couple, spent 3 nights at the Westin. We stayed in a deluxe room, with a view of the courtyard (2029). We had a special corporate rate, which included breakfast and internet, and although "normal" for Paris, €325 per night is still quite a bit to fork out.

The location of the Hotel is perfect, just off St Honore, and all the nice shops, and close to the Metro as well. Location is a big plus for this Hotel.

The room was nothing exceptional. About 30 sqm in total, with a big, comfortable bed. Lighting was a bit of an issue at night. If you turn on the chandelier hanging from the ceiling, you get way too much light, and without it, the rest of the lights do not give you enough light. Maybe a dimmer would help there. The bathroom was small, two people could not be in the bathroom at once. A little wear and tear was apparent in the bathroom, nothing too bad though. The carpeting was not spotless. And there was way too little closet space (something which was not an issue in room 2002 where my friends stayed, were the closets were huge, but they had an issue with the heating there). The bathroom amenities were basic, nothing special, and actually I would have expected a couple of pairs of slippers somewhere in a hotel like this.

The staff was professional, yet friendly. Check in and out was quick and courteous, no issues.

The breakfast at the first was a very good spread, with lots of great options, one of the highlights.

Internet was the big issue. Had problems connecting, and between Saturday night and Monday morning the whole system was down. When on Sunday afternoon I contacted the reception about it, they told me that it was the entire wifi system that was down and, since it was Sunday, they did not expect it to be back up until Monday morning.(!!!). I do realize that things in Paris can be a bit on the "public sector" side sometimes, but internet connection is a must nowadays, and I ended up using my mobile phone to connect. I dread the though of what I will see on my next bill, as roaming charges for internet can be brutal.

Overall, given the price paid and the price which we would have paid if we did not have a corporate rate, I think the whole experience was OK, a bit more than "average" but certainly not "very good".

I will give the Hotel another chance as I will be returning on the 5th of April with a group of customers, for an incentive trip. I hope this time I will have the opportunity to write another review, and say it was "excellent"!

Room Tip: If the price is not too much of an issue, pay a little extra and get a room with a view to the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Andres L, Front of House Manager at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear AlbertR,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Paris-Vendôme and for taking the time to review your recent stay.

We are disappointed to read that you describe your experience "a bit more than average". Please accept my sinceres apologies regarding the internet issue that took so long to be repaired. Our internet provider made several improvements on the network in order to avoid this kind of situation in the future.
Thank you for your positive comments about the location, the staff and the breakfast.

Thank you for giving us another opportunity, we all look forward to welcoming you back the 5th of April.

Best regards,

Andres Lopez-Dafonte
Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband literally used 15 years of aeroplan points for one night here. It was out last night in Paris after traveling around Italy and France for a month so we thought "Why Not splurge?"

I need to clarify, too, the hotel location is amazing and the main floor is pretty impressive with the grand entrance, the outdoor cafe's, the lobby... but that is where the charm ended for me.

1. 15 euros for a few hours of wifi??? Even in the lobby? REALLY?? I was shocked. Get with the times Westin. We opted to go to a starbucks nearby for free wifi. I just can't believe this.

2. What were at one time "grand" rooms are pretty dated given what they charge. thankfully we used points and did not pay the $500+ euros... I would have been very sad. Actually I still tout it was a waste of points. I wore the robe and took the toiletries in consolation for my disappointment.

3. Our view was of dirty roofs and a courtyard. really boring, really ugly. Kept the drapes closed to try to suspend the illusion of grandeur .

4. Tricky finding cheap and cheery eats nearby. it's pretty schmancy in this area so be prepared to either pay more for dinner or hoof it. We asked the semi-grumpy concierge who seemed put out that we bothered him and he recommended a place a block away the we honestly never found. We even went back and asked again... Still never found. I wanted to say "write it down" on our map but clearly my idea of concierge service was different from theirs. Oh well. We eventually a did find dinner 20 mins walk east closer to ave de l'Opera. Lots to choose from over there.

In the end it was okay. But I certainly would not recommend unless they have outstanding rates for when you go. There are far better options in Paris in my opinion. The Westin is perhaps more geared to a business traveller.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tinderhouse
Andres L, Front of House Manager at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Tinderhouse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Westin Paris-Vendome.

I deeply regret to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.

Please be informed that the internet connection is, since several months now, complimentary at the hotel's lobby area. There is only a charge for the internet connection in the rooms.

We have several sort of rooms with different views including the Tuilleries Garden, the Louvre museum and the Eiffel Tower. I would be glad to help you find a room that may match your requirements in the case you give us another opportunity.

I regret the misunderstanding with the concierge, we usually use the maps to show the directions in order to make it easy to our guest to find the requested location. Please accept my apologies about this matter.

We hope that despite your remarks, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future,

Best regards,

Andres Lopez-Dafonte
Front of House Manager
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at the Westin and would overall give this hotel solid marks. My wife and I got in about 10:30 am, well before check-in times. Our room was not ready - but knowing we had an early afternoon appointment, the front desk was able to get us a small "rest" room- basically a room with a sofa, chair, desk and a full bath to relax in and change. To say a little bit goes a long way - this very nice gesture was it. When we did get our room - it was small. Having stayed here before, when I was a Platinum member and receiving a small suite, this time it was a standard room. However, small does not mean, awful. The room was clean and appeared to be freshly decorated. The bed was great, the bathroom was functional and plenty of storage.

I felt that overall the staff was polite and got no attitude from anyone. Concierge service was excellent - eveything from dining recommendation to transportation.

Let talk prices - Paris is expensive! Don't go if you are going to worry about cost. After eating at several "basic" establishments near the hotel, the prices at the Westin are not that out of line with their surroundings. You want a Coke - it's going to cost you 5 or 6 Euros, a "hard" liquor drink is at least 14 - not just at the Westin but everywhere! At least at the Westin you will be served with a certain level of ellegance.

Lastly, as mentioned in many of the other reviews, the hotels location is excellent! Easy walk to many of the great sites and shopping. Nighttime in the "hood" is a little quiet, but there are enough eating options within a couple of blocks to keep you happy.

Bottom line - solid stay and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Large hotel - rooms come in all sizes from very small to large.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mchud
Luanda, Angola
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The pros : ideal location, close to Louvre/opera/Champa Élysées / shopping. Also very good concierge team, management following tripadvisor reports.

The cons : very little attention or care for returning guests. Despite being a Platinium SPG and having stayed more than 10 times in this hotel, and having requested bed and room arrangements, rooms weren't ready and arranged as planned upon arrival. As during previous stays, hotel staff have airways a good reason (some fair, fashion show or just high occupancy) to justify the poor service. Maintenance of the bathrooms is still a major issue as already identified in previous reports. This time heating in the room wasn't working properly, a major problem during winter.

In conclusion : while it is unfair to compare both hotels as their room rates are very different, service levels offered by Mandarin Oriental Paris are also incredibly higher than those of Westin Paris. But should service be a question of price?

• Stayed February 2013
Julien K, Directeur général at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Oursdur,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience in our property.

I find your review very constructive and I am deeply sorry to read that you were disapointed by our level of service as a returning guest and I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenciences encountered. On a positive note, please note that we are currently performing a soft refurbishment of our bathrooms that will be completed by mid-year.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to the Westin brand and let you know that I would appreciate to personally get in touch with you to further discuss your experience. Please provide us your contact details at the following email address: reservation.01729@westin.com

Yours Sincerely,

Julien Kiefer
Hotel Manager
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ideally located at the foot of the Tuileries with the Louvre about a 10-minute walk away and the shopping delights of La Place Vendome just to your left as you exit the hotel, this is a wonderfully situated hotel. Perfectly placed for forays in and out of museums and galleries, and walks along the Seine - with a recovery rest in the hotel never far away.

Hotel staff are courteous and efficient, and though it's a bit 'corporate guest-y' everyone is relaxed and the atrium is a wonderful place to have a light bite.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Do ask for an Eiffel Tower view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The experience is very palpable still, considering I stayed months ago. The property is a renewed old mansion, which we looked up on the Internet, and does the job well without spoiling the natural ambience that has to go with an old building. Got a room facing Rue de Rivoli and looking towards the Eiffel Tower, spacious considering the Parisian spaces and very comfortable bathrooms. The mix between classic / updated is well kept, and the lobby terrace is absolutely great for afternoons in good weather. Breakfast is generous (buffet), at no point felt scarcity. Being an SPG Platinum we were extremely well catered to, staff was very generous and always went the extra mile - saw this with all other guests.

And...you cannot beat this location. Maybe a tie with other hotels like the Intercontinental, but nonetheless this spot will be another magnet to draw you to it, everything is close by and the hip/chic/expensive shops surrounding you. Considering that Paris is a city to walk, many of the insignia attractions are all walking distance or accesible via two Metro stops. Even taking the Bus from CDG was not a big deal, drops you off at Opera and it's also walkable if you're not too tired or heavy with luggage.

Room Tip: Try to request facing Rue de Rivoli - best view of the Jardin des Tulieres and Eiffel Tower. Noise i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great location... 10 mins walk to the Louvre .... 10 mins to the Place de Concorde ... Great feel of Paris..... Great neighborhood feel... Wonderful eating places around the hotel ... Just a perfect place to stay while in Paris!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple