“Small room even for Paris”

The Westin Paris - Vendome
Ranked #479 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 30, 2012

So.... I arrived at 3 and my room was not ready (I had business meeting at 4). I left it for 30 mins and my room was still not ready, so accepted the worst room in the hotel - i needed a shower and to change for my meeting.. Some hotels don't look after women travelling on their own especially if they are British .. Nasty room - swinging a cat was not an option. Breakfast was good, service was good

Room Tip: Wait for a nice room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is our second time staying at this hotel. The location of this hotel is excellent. Right on the Rue de Rivoli , near the Tuileries and Concorde Metro Stations, and within walking distance to Place Vendôme, Palais Garnier and the Louvre.. Being so close to two metro stations, makes everything pretty convenient. You would rarely have to make more than one connection to see all the sights in Paris.

We booked with SPG points and paid extra for an Eiffel Tower view upgraded room. After we arrived, we checked in only to find that we were not getting the Eiffel Tower view room that we expected. I was very disappointed. We were given an upgraded room and when we got to the room, we found that all the additional square footage was in a useless hallway. At that point, why pay extra?? So, I called downstairs and they found a room that was in the same classification, but had a better use of space so we switched to that room. The room we got had 2 queen beds instead of one king bed, but having an extra bed always works out well because we use it for your luggage, so that was fine. The room was over Rue de Castiglione, but you could see the Tuileries Gardens & a little of the Louvre from the window.

The room was a fair size, actually about 50% bigger than the standard room we got last time we visited. The rooms were clean, but rather plain. I expected something a little more ornate. The bathroom was small but functional . It was marble & tile with a shower/bathtub combo, toilet, and single sink and little counter space.

The room had wifi and as SPG Gold Members we were given free internet during our stay. That is always a great perk.

We did not eat in the restaurant, but the center courtyard is absolutely beautiful.

Overall, we do really like this hotel and I'm sure we'll stay here again on our next trip.

3  Thank Sylvia H
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were in Paris Sept. 14th - 19th and stayed at this hotel. My husband is a lifetime Platinum member and we used points for the whole stay. We were upgraded to an Executive suite and my husband was hoping for more but they said they were booked full. We had a choice of a free continental breakfast or extra points - we decided to go with the breakfast but two days later we had not used it so we asked if we could instead take the extra points and they let us do that no problem. We had free internet but the wifi was awful and half the time we could not connect.

First off - the staff is wonderful at the front desk AND the concierge as well. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous too! The hotel is wonderfully situated and we walked to most everything we wanted to see. We did not use the restaurant but had drinks in the lounge/bar area several times and it is a beautiful room and the service and drinks were excellent although of course pricey.

They sent up a small bottle of wine and some candy in honor of our 30th wedding anniversary which was a nice touch.

The room was very pretty but there were some issues - it was VERY dark - even after putting on all the lights this room was dark. There just wasn't enough natural light coming through I guess. The blow dryer was awful - it reminded me of the blow dryers on cruises as you have to keep your finger on the button or it would turn off and did not have enough power. If you have longer then average hair - bring your own. For some reason the tub was elevated so a bit hard to get in and out of. The bathroom was small, but did have a separate toilet area with a door which we loved. Every morning we would hear the trash truck come...it was just the luck of where our room was situated.

The good things about the room - as mentioned the room was very pretty and decorated in the French style. It had a walk in closet which was fantastic! The mattress - although very firm was of good quality and we slept well on it. The linens were very nice as well. The maids were wonderful and we tipped a few euros everyday. I know there have been complaints about the walls being thin - we did not experience this issue and never heard a peep from our neighbors.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and enjoyed the employees of the hotel as well. We would definitely go back to this hotel if we get the chance to go to Paris again.

One last note - don't expect to get a taxi quickly on a Saturday night. We had a dinner cruise and were dressed up so didn't want to walk - taxis are very scarce on Sat. nights and we did not plan on this - the hotel was finally able to get one for us and we made our cruise but beware and plan accordingly.

1  Thank nikitamycat
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Well located and amazing staff and room. Really LOVED it. This was a couple's trip and we used the concierge service quite a bit because we wanted to do many things but were short on time. They were very helpful!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

in the heart of paris very walkable to many museums and tourist attractions.
subway very close many resturants and cafes nearby. across the street from the toulerie garedns the rooms were okay but the location is the biggest advantage

1  Thank lipnick
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

First le me say that I am a loyal SPG member as is my girlfriend who is a Platinum member. We just finished our stay at the Westin Vendome and it was disappointing to say the least. As usual, you would expect the service to be a bit off, it is Paris after all. But on our arrival we approach the hotel (which is in a fantastic location) and with our bags of luggage the doormen could not be bothered to ask us if we need help or bother to open the doors for us, they were too busy smoking. We make our way into the lobby, where we are brought over to the SPG gold/platinum desks for checkin. We sit and are told that there are no upgrades available. That is fine and we totally understand as Paris is a busy city. We go to our rooms and unfortunately, it was not good. It was stuffy, smelled like cigarettes, and was very tight on space. We specifically booked a room with a view also, but were given a courtyard room. Basically looking at a wall. We called down to the platinum desk to see what they could do. We were told that because we booked with points there were no rooms available. But, if we wanted to pay for the room with cash, they could work something out for us. We were then essentially scolded for the fact that we use points saying that we cheated the system and there were more important paying customers in those rooms. This to me was beyond unacceptable, especially given that the reason we have points is from staying at so many SPG hotels to begin with. A lot of them and usually Luxury collection or St. Regis.

So we dismissed it and decided to tough it out. The rest of the stay was pretty bad, the rooms were either really stuffy and humid, or you could turn on the AC and they become extremely dry and cold. Dry as in your skin will start peeling after a few days. The doors to the hallway are extremely thin, so we were woken up every night from people laughing or talking at 1, 2, 3 am... The drapes do not block the light so no way you will sleep in either.

Our overall experience would have been made a lot better if the service could have been on par with what you would expect when paying these sort of prices. We also tried to have our boarding passes printed for us and an hour and a half later with trying to show the front desk (3 of them) how to print from an email it was a lost cause.

I am actually writing this review from the St. Regis in Florence now, where our experience has been nothing short of Amazing. Glad to be out of the Paris Westin and into a hotel that is vacation worthy. Needless to say, when we do return to Paris, we will not be returning to the Westin.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank jonathanmcnulty
Julien K, Directeur général at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Jonathanmcnulty,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read your disappointment with our overall level of service and I am very concerned about your comment on the SPG treatment you received when asking for a room move.

I sincerely would like to apologize for the lack of service you feel you received. Please be assured that this is certainly not indicative of our usual high standards of operations and I have personally passed your comments to all department heads and associates involved in order to rectify the issues that you have raised.

I very much appreciate reading your comments, as it is only by receiving such information from valued Guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to see where we stand in certain areas and what improvements we can make to further satisfy any requirements that you may have. Our goal here at The Westin Paris-Vendôme is that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, and in your case we failed.

I remain at your entire disposal if you wish to discuss your experience with me and I would appreciate if you have time to provide us your contact details at the following email address reservation.01729@westin.com so that I can personally get in touch with you.

With my Best Regards,

Julien Kiefer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Overall, I was really disappointed by this hotel. The location and breakfast is great but outside of that, I was unimpressed. I travel for work literally every week and am Platinum at both Marriott and SPG. I've always had the most amazing time at SPG properties but this was not one of them. I'm not trying to sound like a snob but I can only compare to other properties I've stayed at under the SPG brand:

1. The Greeting was horrible...no one said hello to me walking in or offered help with luggage or anything. Then I go to check-in at the platinum desk and the lady is all nice at first but then goes off on me about making too many reservations and then cancelling. After about 30 seconds of not knowing what she is talking about she apologizes and say she misread my name and it was another person. After the poor greeting at least she informed me we got upgraded to a Jr. Suite.

2. The Room - if I had to pay the 1000+ euro a night for this room i would have been FURIOUS. The room was built at the top and had a horrible slant. I hit my head getting out of the shower twice and I'm not a clumsy person. The outlets in the room didn't work except for 1 and the lighting was miserable. The bed was of great spg quality but that was about the only redeeming quality.

3. Breakfast - Breakfast was actually outstanding and they had an awesome array of selections and tasty food.

4. Location - The location was pretty nice and there were some great shops and food spots around.

5. Concierge - They were not very good. They took forever to answer any calls and would put me on hold for 10+ minutes. The day we left I asked if it was smarter to take the subway or taxi to the airport and the guy said...doesnt matter. So we thought the cheaper route would be the subway......little did he inform us that the only line near the hotel was closed until noon and it was 8 AM when we asked him.

Overall, we didn't get greeted one time walking around the lobby or in the hotel. I was really disappointed with this hotel as at every other SPG I've stayed at, they are extremely proud of and great at service. Would never recommend this hotel nor spend the points on it again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple