“Could be so great but just disappointing! ”
Review of Kube Hotel

Kube Hotel
Ranked #816 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
kent
“Could be so great but just disappointing! ”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked this hotel as part of a surprise trip for my 30th birthday and we were unfortunately very disappointed.
The hotel itself is in a very 'diverse' part of Paris and not an area I would stay in again. There are not any nice restaurants nearby, it's mostly takeaways and west african fruit markets.
On arrival the hotel looks very nice and is uber modern. It's very dark everywhere though and has a very gothic nightclub type feel. We arrived early so dropped our bag off and asked the best way to travel and where to go etc. The guy behind the desk was very helpful and gave us a map of the metro and Paris. However, things started going a bit wrong when we returned later on. When we returned to the hotel we couldn't find any member of staff in order to get our room key and suitcase. We had to eventually shout down the stairs in reception to get someone's attention. We then tried to get some drinks for the room but they didn't have any beer or whisky due to a busy night the night before. It was about 5pm by this point, so the hotel had all day to re-stock.
Eventually a member of staff found 2 bottles of beer and we got to the room. We were also told at this point, after asking, that the restaurant wasn't open.
The rooms are nice, very basic with the kube theme running throughout. Nice big beds which are very comfortable. Our shower however was blocked and the water wouldn't drain away so we had to re- pack and move rooms. After getting ready and about to leave the hotel we noticed the ice bar. We proceeded to go in to have a look and were rudely pushed out by the female member of staff whilst shouting at us in French. When we went down to reception we were told you have to book a slot to go in so we booked to go in after our dinner. We had a cocktail at the bar there while we waited for our cab. We were the only 2 people at the bar and the barman still took 15 minutes to make our drinks as it looked like he was searching for ingredients. At €12 a drink minimum I'd expect the service to be a bit quicker! After our lovely meal at Le Margurite (which I would highly recommend) we went back to the hotel for our Ice bar experience, only to find the bar empty with no staff anywhere to be seen so we took a few pics then left.
The breakfast is very expensive for what you get. A basic continental breakfast for €18 each is a bit steep so we avoided it.
Its a shame because this hotel has so much potential. The design is nice (if you like that sort of thing) and a lot of attention has been paid to the detail. Most of the staff, especially at the reception, are friendly and helpful. However, it lacks a welcoming feel. Sometimes you struggle to find a member of staff, they had limited drinks and no resturant. The rooms are basic with no information in them, like checkout time etc. They have an amazing ice bar feature but no staff there to serve you. We had an amazing time away but the hotel did taint it a little. Overall I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't give it 4 stars.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrssmsmith
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Kube Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for leaving a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Kube Hotel Paris.

We understand that we have failed by all means in approaching your expectations even and we are really sorry about plumbing problem in your first room.

We wish to inform our future guests that our restaurant is scheduled to re-open within few weeks.

Your comments will help us to improve the quality of our service in order to ensure that a similar situation does not recur in the next future.

Kube Hotel Paris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and chose that hotel because we wanted to try something totally different and rather alternative (when we travel to London, we usually decide to go east so we wanted to try something similar in Paris).
That hotel was really a choice we don't regret! We were surprised from our arrival till the end of our trip. The Manager personally welcomed us and kindly showed us around, the staff in the icebar (or icekube) on our first night was super friendly and willing to show us some of their experimental cocktails (go easy on the sweet vodka shots though as they kick in quite violently when you leave the icebar haha) and the room was minimalistic yet well furnished.
If you're young, fun and love alternatives places, you guys should definitely give it a try, this hotel is just so much fun!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms that are quite high up in the building, they offer a nice view on the surroundings!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xkevinmx
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Kube Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review about your recent stay at Kube Hotel Paris. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, your satisfaction is very important for us and your comments have been shared with all hotel team!

We are also pleased to read that you liked the decoration and the quietness of our rooms and you tried and loved our Ice Kube Bar, the first and the only one in Paris!

We hope to welcome you again in the near future,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed here in mid January and couldn't have been more pleased with everything from check in to check out.
It is located really close to Gard Du Nor and a major Metro line at La Chapelle so getting around couldn't have been easier.
We stayed in room 210 and had no problems with noise or the fingerprint key entry. Housekeepers did a great job and as a hotel manager myself with a very eagle eye for standards couldn't fault it. The bed and pillows were some of the comfiest I have had in a hotel - perfect after a day out walking in the beautiful city.
Simon in the bar was really helpful and showed us the icebar even though it wasn't actually open at the time we asked to see it, he was sort of our personal bar man for our stay and was really a credit to the hotel with his help and assistance. On check in we were asked if we had any plans and when we explained we were due to go to the Moulin Rogue the receptionist wiped out a map and gave us all the info we needed to get there and back.
Each member of staff we met were lovely. THe area itself is like most in any large city cosmopolitan; unlike other reviews I (a five foot three Irish woman) felt totally at ease in the area. Highly recommend this hotel and we will be back!

Room Tip: Google maps for the area is a little confusing so call reception for directions from La Chappel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eithneanneg83
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Kube Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review about your recent stay at Kube Hotel Paris. We are glad to read your global satisfaction about our services and the quality of stay.

Your motivating comments have also been transferred to all concerned departments and our colleagues are very glad that their efforts have reflected in making you leave with memories of our property.

We truly hope that this stay will not remain as the only lifetime experience and that you will get plenty other occasions to visit our beautiful city of lights, and next time do not hesitate to contact us directly in order to get the best available rate ! It will be more than a pleasure to assure you have a very memorable stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I just got home and I still can't believe how awful my stay in this place was!!! ( we just can't call it à hôtel....)

The location of the hotel is just not acceptable, you are stock behind the railway station in a dark street where young people scream and do I don't want to Know what .... It is just not safe you feel so insecure!!!
This place doesn't have a restaurant and forget about eating outside, there is just nothing but junk food.

The room we were given was small and dark. Also we had to sleep with a smell of garbages!!! Avoid this room (202)!!!! No A/C, no PS3 available, Tv Channel very poor!!!!

After all that we decided to experience the Ice bar to finally start our weekend!!! Well bad choice, the staff of the ice bar was just rude and arrogant... Too busy on their phones I guess!!!The waitress was walking around in an outfit which was just unappropriate!!! We felt in a wierd club or maybe it was a halloween party!!! she was almost naked!!!!

Nobody at the front desk....you call nobody answers....I didn't Know that 4 stars hôtels allow such behaviour!!!!

There is so much to say that I can't even find my words!!!
Probably the worst experience of my Life.
Thank you so much for ruining my time in Paris!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david w
guestrelationsoffice, Responsable relations clients at Kube Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear David,

We would like to thank you for having taking time to write your review on TripAdvisor, however we are very disappointed to learn that our often appreciated rooms and location did unfortunately not meet your expectations.

Please don’t hesitate to contact the Hotel Manager in order to give more details about your stay and your experience at Kube Hotel and its Ice Bar. We hope you can give us another chance for your next stay in our beautiful city.

Guest relations – Kube Hotel Paris

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The Kube hotel Paris is a lovely small boutique hotel located reasonably close to Montmartre and Gar Du Nord. I selected this hotel for its location close to a venue we are going to for a party. The location itself is not great, but all the sights are easily accessible. The hotel did not disappoint. Whilst small, the rooms are beautifully formed, quirky and immaculately clean. The staff were attentive and friendly. The only downside for me is that breakfast is served in the bar. The bar, whilst Ok for an evening, felt a little too bordello for breakfast, but it is what it is… A very lovely small hotel…

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KateALondon
guestrelationsoffice, Responsable relations clients at Kube Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Kate,

Many thanks for your review about your recent stay at Kube Hotel in Paris. We are glad that you have been satisfied by our services and our staff.

Your comments remain great source of motivation for all of us to continue and strive hard as always in order to assure your satisfaction throughout the forth coming years to come.

We hope to welcome you back to the Kube Hotel and please don’t hesitate to contact our booking department in order to organize your next stay in Paris.

Guest Relations – Kube Hotel Paris
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Avoid. Abort. Alert.
That's my recommendation- to me, the kube is ..
Dirty yet pretentious.
Badly kept yet expensive.
Poorly managed yet well advertised.

Location is not good and although the reception and facade is nice- the bar is a badly stocked cheap 90s left over.

The room i received (suite) was dirty with stains all over the carpet- the shower is unacceptable and the decoration is in contradiction with the expectations for a "design" hotel.

The rooms have no keys, but work with a fancy finger recognition system... But one i opened the door i wished they had spent their money on other more basic needs.

Seriously- i would never recommend this place. Ever.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank RufusVonM
guestrelationsoffice, Responsable relations clients at Kube Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Rufus,

The Kube Hotel Paris opened in 2005, so we are surprised to read your comments about the bar. We are really sorry that you didn’t like the hotel decoration and its concept.

Please don’t hesitate to contact the Hotel Manager in order to discuss about your stay and your experience with us. We hope you can give us another chance for your next stay in our beautiful city.

Guest relations – Kube Hotel Paris
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I'm writing this review while in my room, looking at all the things that are wrong with it, and there are quite a few. Everything looks good on the surface, but it's not a nice place to spend time. It's as if the owners think that design is about how something looks, but it's also about how you use and enjoy an object.

A list of some things are that wrong:
- Shower - It's impossible to stand under the shower, the bath slopes so you have to stand further out. The issue is the bracket holding the shower head cannot angle the head at an appropriate angle, so you don't get any water. Also, there is a bath, but no bath gel (bubble bath etc), so you'll have to sit in a bath of water only.
- Noise - it's as if the owners think they are running a nightclub, there is often loud dance music playing, and although I am on the fourth floor, the thumping sound of the bass can clearly be heard.
- Safe - the safe does not have enough space to store, well, pretty much anything. The only item I could get into the safe with the door closing was my passport. I have a Macbook Air, a very slim laptop, it didn't fit. This means all my valuables were left in my room. Also the safe is positioned above the loo, so if the seat is up and you open the safe you risk losing your valuables altogether.
- Loo - the lights go on automatically, however they also go off automatically and do so after about 2 seconds of no motion. This means you have to constantly move while on the loo if you want any light.
- PS3 - one of the selling points of the room is that there is a Sony PlayStation 3 in every room. And there is, however there is no joypads or games, nor instructions on how you get these.
- Coffee machine - there is also a high-end coffee machine in every room, however you have to pay for it, €3 per cup.
- Welcome pack - there is no welcome materials at all, No complementary water, chocs, anything.
- Heated towel rack - The towel rack is plumbed in and it looks heated, however there was never any heat during my 5 night stay, the towels were always cold.
- TV quality - the image quality on the TV was so bad that I didn't / couldn't watch it.
- Power - there is only one spare power socket in the room, so if you have a phone, iPad, laptop and the same for your partner, then you'll have to take turns at charging.
- Staff - staff are rude, and never said hello unless I said so first. They would often look away and generally look in a bad mood.
- Reception - this is in a glass box outside the main building. This means if you want to ask a question you have to go outside, only to find that almost all the time there's no one there.

I would never return to this hotel again, and I'll be writing to the Design Hotels group to recommend that this hotel is removed from their club. This is easily one of the worst hotels I have stayed in, and all the more worse as expectations were that I was paying for a premium experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business