“Small, quite, much more than we expected!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel du Champ de Mars
Ranked #366 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed in this wonderful little hotel for 6-nights with our granddaughter, (our second stay) and had a wonderful time. It is small but comfortable, very clean and quiet. With the rue Cler market at your doorstep, there is always good pastries, cappuccinos, and fun shopping at your fingertips. You can walk everywhere, and if you can't walk there, the Metro station is just around the corner. Get to know Stephane and Francoise. They are friendly and helpful. We are headed back there this coming September. Can't wait!
Profitez de votre séjour...

Room Tip: You can walk everywhere, so have a good street map. Try "Streetwise Maps" - http://www.str...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Gary H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed February 23, 2012

I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Hotel du Champ de Mars and cannot say enough about it! I received a very friendly, warm greeting when I arrived after a tiring day of travel. The room was very clean, including an impeccably clean bathroom. What I really noticed was how quiet the room was, especially at night. Also, unlike other stays in European hotels, the bed was very comfortable. I truly loved my stay here!

Hotel du Champ de Mars could not be in a better location! Arr 7 is a very quaint and quiet district anyway, but this location right off the Rue Cler made it feel like you were a local. There are plenty of cafe options right down the street from the hotel and we were never disappointed with the selections. The Metro is not even 2 blocks away, a post office is on the corner, and a bank across the street from that. All travel amenities in a 2 block radius, which was very helpful!

I will definitely stay at the Hotel du Champ de Mars again! LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: Our room faced the courtyard, which made for a very quiet stay. Not much of a view, but then again...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Teri S
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed in this charming hotel for 4 nights in February 2012. The hotel was extremely clean. You can't beat the location and our hosts Stephane and Francoise could not have been nicer. The room and bathroom were larger than expected and we were able to see the Eiffel Tower from our window. I cannot wait to return to this wonderful hotel. We highly recommend this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank canaryann
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We loved this hotel! I was worried about them losing our reservation because of some of the other reviews. Also I was nervous because air France went on strike causing us to find other flights in the middle of our trip and we didn't arrive at our hotel until after 1am. But they had everything ready for us! Our room was clean and beautiful, just what I would've wished for in Paris. I thought the decor was very Parisian looking too. Yes, the room was small...but after a lot of European travel it's what I've come to expect. The shower wasn't my favorite since the door covered only half of the tide of the tub. So there was always water on the bathroom floor.

They don't tell you online that there are hair dryers in the rooms so I brought mine. You don't need to. Also they sell the Paris museum pass at the front desk which is nice! If you stay there try the macaroons at the place across the street...they're so good!

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank CashsGirl
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We found Hotel du Champ de Mars by going to Rick Steves' site, then checking peoples' reviews of various hotels. This hotel seemed to have garnered the best reviews for those in our price range, so I made reservations for three nights. The last time I found and booked a hotel in Europe, we ended up in a plywood loft (advertised as a 'private room') with the space below serving as a walk-through to the larger dorm area. So, I was a bit leery in spite of the reviews about what we'd find when we arrived.

What we found? An amazing, lovely hotel with owners and staff helpful and courteous. Our room was spotless, fresh, and welcoming. Yes, it was small but a perfect size for a comfortable bed with bedside tables and excellent reading lights (a big plus where I'm concerned), a round table that served as our wine and cheese 'bar' with a chair and stool, and a large closet with shelves. The immaculate bathroom was en suite and even included a small tub, which I did use.

Another huge plus of this hotel is the location, basically on Rue Cler. Rick Steves had noted this as the quintessential French street experience, and it was wonderful. Coffee, pastries, cheese, wine, pharmacy, chocolates... everything was within a few minutes stroll from our hotel's door. We discovered several cafes we really enjoyed, one being on the corner diagonally across from Hotel du Champ de Mars, Cafe du Marche. Another was at the end (Cafe Rouissilon) where the salads were great. We had dinner at Petit Cler where we were made to feel we were part of the local scene versus just tourists. Our neighboring diners lived in the area and were warm and open. Wherever we ate, the food and service were excellent and the local company friendly.

When we'd return to the hotel after a day of visiting sites and just walking around, our room was as if we'd just arrived (minus our clothes and items) – clean and inviting. Due to the Air France strike we got 'stuck' in Paris; fortunately, our hotel could put us up for an extra night, which was great as I doubt we would have found another place we would have liked as much.

We can't say enough about how wonderful this hotel, owners, and staff were, including their gentle and tranquil pup, Cannelle. We've posted a few photos, but they don't do it justice. Just writing about our time there makes us want to book a visit each year, if only to stay in Hotel du Champ de Mars and enjoy the ambiance of Rue Cler.

Room Tip: We had a great room with windows opening up onto Rue du Champ de Mar. Surprisingly, it was quiet due...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank M B
Reviewed February 11, 2012

You are right in the Rue Cler neighborhood and you are super close to the Eiffel Tower. You are close to the metro; but most rides require a transfer. I stayed in a single and the room was very small; especially the bathroom/shower. However, it was around $100 and for a boutique hotel I can't complain. The front desk service was "Parisian". I would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank 1travel123
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Spent 5 nights in Sept '11, and could not have been more pleased with this little hotel. It served as a perfect home base from which to branch out and explore Paris either on foot or metro. Clean, comfortable, close to major sights and metro stations, your own little market street around the corner, even a great cafe right across the street called Le Sancerrois with a very kind, patient owner and her son...I could not have asked for more. (Well maybe a small fridge in the room).

A word on the staff: I know most of the negative TA reviews have been centered on the perceived rudeness of the staff, including the owners. I understand the desire to be greeted with a big smile and a friendly "Bonjour!" This probably won't happen at Champ, and I urge potential guests to get over it. These are professional people - respectful, serious, but not rude. I found owner Francoise to be very curteous. Slyn at the desk is great and this is the guy you want to ask your questions of. Would I have preferred a hug from other owner Stephane instead of the scowl I got at checkout? Sure. But c'est la vie.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends