“Best minimalist Budget hotel”
Review of Hotel Marclau

Hotel Marclau
Ranked #1,657 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Best minimalist Budget hotel”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Having provisionally booked one month via my email the Owner conformed our booking. We arrived in the afternoon 29April'2010 and stayed 3 nights the hotel decoration around the hall/ reception area was being upgraded. The room we stayed in was very basic and small with minimal items - the double bed, small side table, 1 chair, single fitted cupboard/ wardrobe and a sink area. The condition aside, this was by far the best deal from many nearby hotels and that around paris - The cost per night was half the price for what was being offered in hotels nearby for a double room for 2 people which included a light breakfast - french baguette, various jams and tea. The WC was along the hallway out side our room which was amongst a bunch of approx 5 rooms and the shower room was on a floor below ours. The staff were welcoming and friendly.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SalimRahim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Only about 8 minutes from Gar du Nord, this place is perfect for a weekend break if you are arriving by Eurostar. It has no frills, but is on a nice little street, is quiet and has everything you need.
We especially loved the crazy decor, which was so 70s it was almost back in fashion. Pink candlewick bedspreads? Check! Grey carpet on the walls? Check! 70s mood lighting? Check! Honestly the trendiest 'shabby chic' boutique hotel would actually try to emulate what these guys do naturally.
The guy who runs it is grumpy as anything, but honestly we thought it was great. Lovely balconies, lots of room for your stuff and in a fantastic location with bars nearby and the Metro a few seconds walk.
For a fun weekend away with friends, this place is perfect. But then I love quirky!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelxTravel
los angeles, ca
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I found the Hotel Marclau online when searching for cheap hotels in Paris. I paid 42 euros for a single room (with just a sink, no toilet or shower) including breakfast (which was just a baguette, jam, butter and coffee but just perfect for me).
I chose this hotel specifically to save money. Tiny room with very old furnishings but room and bed were clean. Obviously nothing extra; no elevator, no tv in the room, etc. The hotel is in an okay area, just around the corner from Metro Poissonnière. There is an internet cafe down the street and small grocery store across the street. I felt safe here and there were many other travelers but they were all French people, which actually made me happily feel as though I had discovered a special, secret hotel!
The truth is that I enjoyed my stay and had no specific problems but I probably wouldn't stay here again. For Paris, the area is just ok, not great and this really is a very low-budget hotel. I would only recommend it if you just need a place to lay your head for the night and you really want to save money. Having said that, it is pretty cool to spend so little per night. I doubt you'd find another hotel that was safe for any cheaper in Paris, so if you can handle 'roughing' it a little, go for it. You can take the money you save and treat yourself to a nice restaurant!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
South Africa
Reviewed January 17, 2009

My husband & I read all the good reviews about this hotel on Trip Advisor, then saw the ONE review about bugs. We hoped the problem would be solved - and seeing as most reviews were good we took a chance and booked this hotel. Overall the hotel was very clean looking & the bathrooms were very clean. I woke up in the middle of the night because I could feel something on my face. When we turned the lights on we found a few bugs on the bed. The next morning I had bites all over my neck & face. We complained to the manager & he moved us into another room - which seemed to be ok. But by the end of our stay I had huge red spots all over. BEWARE!!!! Aside from the bugs the hotel was ok... If they can solve the bug problem the price can't be beaten. But you need to decide if you are willing to take the chance and risk your holiday being ruined by itchy bites....

• Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Designahead

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Sao Paulo - Brazil
Reviewed November 15, 2008

I stayed 8 nights at this hotel and at first sight it seems too simple to handle, but as I looked for a budget stay in Paris, it was worth the experience.
Agree with other reviews about a very simple room, good breakfast, clean, a very little towel to bath and GREAT location.
A good market, Internet spot and good restaurantes very near.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Stairs and shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DanWe
Sacile, Italy
Reviewed October 27, 2008

If you like luxury, this place is not for you. Think of this place as an inn rather than a hotel -- if you think of it as a hotel, you'll be disappointed. Bring your own soap, shampoo, and other amenities. If you like great deals, this is a wonderful place. My wife and I spent 5 nights here and thought it was great. Although the rooms were simple (and ours was a bit slanty), they were adequate. We booked the room with the WC and shower in the room and spent a total of 240 Euro for 5 nights (including a breakfast with the quirky but fun owners). It's even cheaper if you get the room with the hallway WC/Shower.

The hotel is a block from a Metro stop (it's actually under construction right now, so there a short walk to a different stop). If you're used to living in a city, the neighborhood is fine, even at night. There's a grocery store across the street and a terrific bakery down the street. You can walk to both Gare d'Nord and Gare d'Est. Had this hotel been 100 Euro/nt, I still would have thought it was a decent deal, but at 48 Euro a night with breakfast, it's a steal. One last note -- the towels are quite small, so if you can't deal with hand towel sized towels, bring your own.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sulfiteboy
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Very nice, well located small hotel. Very Parisian neighborhood. Nice owner. Simple breakfast, incredible rate. Lots of steps. The owner sets the well mannered tone for all of the guests. There is a grocery store directly across the street and many small stores all around. I paid 33 euro for a single. 'Very convenient to the metro and buses. Many French guests.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — steps
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo