“At least it is convenient.....”

Hotel Little Regina
Ranked #1,202 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hardly a little gem in what is quite a "mixed bag" area of Paris with some seedy places and the odd touch of class in the Gare de l'Est precinct. The hotel was undergoing renovations and this made staying in to work impossible. I had a very basic room although friends fared much better with a top floor, renovated room. My room was tiny but had a desk and a comfortable bed. The toilet ran water constantly and the step-up shower was downright dangerous - slippery and extremely challenging to use with a tap protruding into an already miniscule shower space. The hotel offered free wifi but it was often "down" and of no use. The area offers a range of eateries from expensive to good value and in a sense offered an escape from the hotel. Staff were reasonably pleasant, however, this will be a never-repeated experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Dr Benjamin P

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Nice, simple, clean hotel! Brand new rooms on top floors, renovating rest (May 2011), but no disturbance from works. Some street noise on the font side, but nice view form 6h floor. Gare l'Est just around the corner. Excellent value for money. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Top floors. no 38, just renovated, nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul1979_11
Reviewed April 15, 2011

being right next to the Gare du l'Est metro station, this hotel has a really convenient location. although the floor of our hotel room was uneven, the shower was nice and the bed was quite comfy--overall it was not too bad! should consider booking this hotel if you're on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank ppqq
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Selected the hotel knowing it was a bit of a risk - based on the other reviews. Fortunately, turned out to be bit better than I expected.

Yes, the lift is small...its either one person and one bag or two persons...but not all together...But, I dont think it was a big issue. It only impacts you when you are checking in or out...and it was not a big deal for me.

Service staff was polite and friendly...they helped with directions and advice. Rooms were cleaned regularly and towels, pillows, linen was clean. The wireless did not work for me but it seemed to be an issue with my own laptop rather than the service.

The room was not big but enough for 2 people. We were mostly roaming around paris and just wanted a room to crash in for the night. So it served us perfectly. We had a room on the 5th floor which seem to be recently renovated and so had all the connections/ TV etc in place. There was no fan though.

The bathroom shower area was small and it was difficult to move around. But, it was not too bad considering the price.

Neighborhood - Lots of communities around - Pakistanis, Indians, Asians, Africans and of course the French. There is an entire bazaar right behind the hotel with lots of Asian restaurants. The Gare de l'Est is right next door so metro connections are really quick. I did not feel unsafe here but may be its not for everyone....

Breakfast- always had it outside...it seemed to be good though...

Room Tip: Try the upper floors (5 and 6)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank europe_backpacker_29
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed at the Little Regina for one night. Location is great if you arrive at Gare de l'Est or Gare de Nord. Metro right in front of entrance (even though the entrence is quite insignificant). The check-in after 2 pm is way too late, as many travellers arrive earlier (11 am would be the standard). The lady at the reception didn't speak a word of English (when asked for the wifi-password she gave us the fax-number -- well...), which only lead to more complications. Good point: They have an elevator, which is crucial if your room is on sixth floor, like ours. The rooms are standard, however, don't expect any air conditioning (at least non working). We sweat, to say the least. Our room was clean, as was the bathroom. Breakfast was ok, but don't expect an actual ROOM for breakfast - it's the reception area. Also they only have 5 tables for an hotel with 6 floors.
We would probably look for a better option next time. It wasn't too bad given the price - but there are definitely better value hotels out there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fluffinpuffin
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night at the end of our trip to France. Although the location was very close to Gare du Nord, which was useful, the hotel itself was a complete let down. Not only was the room on the 6th floor (nice view, but a long trek - there was only one very small lift and it was being used by the cleaning staff for part of the day), it was also incredibly hot with no air conditioning. This, however, was not the main problem.

On first impression the bedroom and the bathroom were both clean and tidy, but we quickly learnt that both the overhead light (the only light in the room) and two out of the three electric plugs in the room were broken. This meant we were unable to use both the electric fan and the television at the same time (a big deal considering it was the world cup final that night!). We reported this to the front desk and the receptionist noted it down. She seemed helpful as neither of us spoke particularily good French, although it seemed as if she'd heard similar complaints before). We went out into Paris for the afternoon and returned in the early evening expecting that the problem would have been fixed, but discovered that nothing had been done. This meant that we were forced to spend the evening in a sweltering room with the television as our only source of light.

We paid 65 Euros with an online offer for a tiny double room, which was bad enough (if cheap for Paris), but the base rate for the room was 105 Euros! For such a price I would expect at least electricity and light!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarpetFrog
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I stayed 1 night at this hotel in the summer and was given a room on the top floor with a nice view overlooking the street and Gare L'est. The day was absolutely boiling hot and to my horror found the air conditioner not working. I called reception and was just told by the female staff member that it was not working. I asked if they had a fan and was told there was nothing available. No other suggestions were made. I met another hotel guest on the same level who was also complaining of the incredible heat but he didn't even have an air conditioner in his room let alone a fan! When I returned to the hotel close to midnight, there was another male staff member working and I tried to ask again for a fan. He seemed initially a little grumpy, saying it was a little late to be asking for a fan (true but worth a try as otherwise sleep would be impossible in the heat) but then he disappeared upstairs and came back with a fan! So I'm not sure why the female staff did not give me one when I asked in the first place! When the weather is this hot, I find it neglectful to give a room without any form of ventilation and expect paying clients to stay in such a room! Clients shouldn't have to ask for ventilation - the staff should be more understanding and accommodating of this - see if they're able to sleep in such a boiling hot room! On top of all this, I found that the main bedroom light did not work when I returned at midnight, and so had to use the bathroom light at night.

I then found in the morning that the TV didn't work and only one of the two powerpoints worked, hence I couldn't both charge my mobile and have the fan on at the same time. I then wonder what exactly I'm paying for - a hot entertainless dark room. The hotel claims to be undergoing renovations but this appears to be for the lower floors. Alors it was quiet on the top floor, unless your neighbour enters/exits their room as the door tends to slam. The hotel door (room 39) was also quite stiff and hard to open. The room is also very small with no room to open a large suitcase unless you put it on the bed. The internet also did not work in the room and I had to use the internet in the lobby which was fine to use.

Staff were pretty average in manner - probably too affected by the heat to care much about their guests.

Good points of this hotel include:
- location - right outside Gare L'est and plenty of cafes and restaurants
- it has a lift - small but reasonably fast
- small but functional shower (for someone <50kg)

But that's about it! It is not often that I don't recommend hotels but this is one that I would not, based on the attitude that staff seem to think it acceptable for paying clients to stay in such a room where nothing seems to work! On the other hand, had the air conditioner, lights, TV, powerpoint and internet worked in the room, it would have been an excellent stay I'd imagine, but alors have the room checked before giving it to your guests!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo